Disable notifications on samsung smart tv (using it as a PVR)

Have had problems with youview, just bought a 2tb samsung m3 USB powered HDD to use as a PVR with my samsung f7000tv.

2 days in and records seem to happen ok - you can only record one channel at a time (despite having twin tuners).

The most annoying thing is notifications! When I'm watching another channel or hdmi (youview recordings) or playing ps3 (hdmi2) I am bombarded with notifications (if a scheduled recording is near) that stay on screen for 2 mins or so UNLESS you answer a multiple choice question of:

'do you want to check that this programme will record by actually retuning to the channel? YES / NO
Or CANCEL recording

It's very prominent and is enough to forget using the tv as a PVR. Hilariously, if you do click YES and switch back to where u were before, you get a third notification bottom left notifying you AGAIN that the recordng really is recordng!

You have o stop watching a bluray / paying ps3 or watching a other channel / recordng to press NO!

Comments

• Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    It's NOT a PVR, it's TV with a crude recording system - if you want real PVR functionality then buy a PVR.
  • steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    I know it's a basic PVR - would be nice to not have a barrage of health and safety messages just before and after a recording. Also, having a all in one device is a huge benefit, just having a USB HDD dangling out of the back vs another mains powered box
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    steveOooo wrote: »
    Have had problems with youview, just bought a 2tb samsung m3 USB powered HDD to use as a PVR with my samsung f7000tv.

2 days in and records seem to happen ok - you can only record one channel at a time (despite having twin tuners).

The most annoying thing is notifications! When I'm watching another channel or hdmi (youview recordings) or playing ps3 (hdmi2) I am bombarded with notifications (if a scheduled recording is near) that stay on screen for 2 mins or so UNLESS you answer a multiple choice question of:

'do you want to check that this programme will record by actually retuning to the channel? YES / NO
    Or CANCEL recording

It's very prominent and is enough to forget using the tv as a PVR. Hilariously, if you do click YES and switch back to where u were before, you get a third notification bottom left notifying you AGAIN that the recordng really is recordng!

You have o stop watching a bluray / paying ps3 or watching a other channel / recordng to press NO!

I know how you feel, especially when playing a PS3 game.

The big notification box comes up just when you are about to do something important and blocks the bit of the screen you need to do something on. :)

Reminders are nearly always useless. I've set the recording, just record it, don't keep reminding me. I still haven't found a way to remove them I'm afraid.

BTW I use a USB memory stick which is better than a HDD, especially as Samsung format it to their format so it can't be used on another computer.
    Forum Member
    Think ill just give up with the smart tv - notifications, HD breaks up (despite a 99% signal strength). Will return the m3 drive to amazon (which is made by seagate so my confidence is low with its longevity).

Will just get a HDR fox2 and return my dodgy youview dtrt1000 for a refurb and sell the pos

Just wish apple would make a iMac like all- in one TV that a) worked and b) just shuts the f up and gets on with it...
    Forum Member
    Well having come back from living in Spain for 3 months - my smart tv has no digital breakup YAY! And a 2tb WD drive works perfectly with the tv - the samsung m3 2tb drive is overall crap - slow and unreliable.

I would still love a 'disable all PVR notifications' option from Samsung.

Having a pre / during and after notification is just dumb. Having to press 'back' everytime. It's even worse when watching streaming (Netflix and amazon instant video) it leaves a green / blue overlay over the whole image!

I've also found pressing the notification by mistake (ie you are about to press play) and going into the retarded web browser or even worse, cancelling a recording.

yes I know this is a 'Crude' PVR but there should be a 'no notifications' option like most other devices in this day and age.

I don't mind if recordings are cut too short, the recordings are one huge list (no folder sorting) and when you've finished a recording, you revert back to the first recording in list.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I agree the notification system on the Samsung TVs are so annoying.

A No Notification should be an option for all TVs and PVRs.