Who is Paul McCartney

gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
Forum Member
✭✭✭

Comments

• RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really hope those tweets are jokes. Otherwise, well, i have no words ...
  • Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RoseAnne wrote: »
    So do I, otherwise all those who posted them should be taken away, put up against a wall and shot! :blush:
  • nemesisisnemesisis Posts: 6,158
    Forum Member
    :o:o:o so sad to see these posts - if I don't know someone I look them up before showing up my ignorance - great song and partnership :)
  • RoseAnneRoseAnne Posts: 3,200
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nemesisis wrote: »
    :o:o:o so sad to see these posts - if I don't know someone I look them up before showing up my ignorance - great song and partnership :)

Yep. If they can't even be bothered to do a quick internet search and discover how stupid they are then they really are thick, and arrogant.
  • Misty08Misty08 Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really think they were joking - well, most of them, anyway.
  • FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep. If they can't even be bothered to do a quick internet search and discover how stupid they are then they really are thick, and arrogant.

A quick internet search? The fact that anyone would even need to do that to figure out who Paul McCartney is is sad in itself!

But yeah, I guess a fair few of the. Were probably jokes. The media etc. don't have a great track record with recognising when people are joking on Twitter or not. Still, having seen what some of the Beiber and 1D worshippers tweet, I can believe some people being that stupid.
  • coun3spicecoun3spice Posts: 671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i hope they were joking!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member

These are probably the same people who during the re-release said "Did you know Titanic really happened"
  • Super_FurrySuper_Furry Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who is Kanye West?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just shows how ignorant and slightly off the map some of today's generation are
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some people aren't going to know who he is and I'm not really sure why it matters. If their parents weren't a fan of the Beatles or never played Paul McCartney around their children, then it's not really their fault. I don't know why you expect all of this generation to be more interested in the music of yesteryear, instead of the music of today and I'm sure they know things that some of you probably don't. I think it's best to just kindly educate, rather than sneer.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'd have to be incredibly stupid to believe those comments were anything other than sarcastic.

On the other hand, I thought Kanye West was just some kind of fashion designer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lexii-Mae wrote: »
    Some people aren't going to know who he is and I'm not really sure why it matters. If their parents weren't a fan of the Beatles or never played Paul McCartney around their children, then it's not really their fault. I don't know why you expect all of this generation to be more interested in the music of yesteryear, instead of the music of today and I'm sure they know things that some of you probably don't. I think it's best to just kindly educate, rather than sneer.

Not knowing who Paul M is because parents didn't listen to The Beatles is a very poor excuse.

My parents never listened to Joni Mitchell or Kate Bush, but that didn't stop me from knowing who they are and actually becoming fan of them with no influence from others.
  • nathanbrazilnathanbrazil Posts: 8,863
    Forum Member
    Paul McCartney, I thought he died in 1966? ;-)
  • Toffee_AppleToffee_Apple Posts: 358
    Forum Member

Absolutely this. Why would a 16 year old need to know members of The Beatles if they haven't heard their music before/it just doesn't appeal to them? I'm sure some people just love being music snobs.
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,105
    Forum Member
    lol Paul MacArther

It did become hard to tell, as I think there were one or two genuinely dumb tweets and then a flood of sarcastic ones.

I always feel sad knowing that some people's music knowledge is so limited. It surprised me just how lazy some people are that they don't experiment with different genres or even look back through the years.

Even if they genuinely don't know who someone like Paul McCartney is, I'm surprised they are as accepting of their limited knowledge to just tweet about it. It would take a few mins to google his name and know the basic info about him.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely this. Why would a 16 year old need to know members of The Beatles if they haven't heard their music before/it just doesn't appeal to them? I'm sure some people just love being music snobs.

I agree. I haven't heard a track by Paul McCartney since the 80s. He probably has released more music since then but I'm not aware of it. Why would a young person who probably listens to chart music know who he is?
  • FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because he's world famous, hence Sir Paul McCartney, the first pop music writer/performer to be knighted. Not being familiar with or liking his work is no excuse, any more than not knowing who Sir Winston Churchill or Beethoven were. :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youth isn't an excuse for ignorance nor should expecting a modicum of intelligence and general knowledge be branded as music snobbery as it has been on this thread.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Because he's world famous, hence Sir Paul McCartney, the first pop music writer/performer to be knighted. Not being familiar with or liking his work is no excuse, any more than not knowing who Sir Winston Churchill or Beethoven were. :(

I'm sorry but I disagree. He's "sir" in this country. Do you expect every teenager around the world to know who he is? I'm sorry to disappoint his fans but he's no Elvis or Michael Jackson in terms of being a musical icon who is instantly still known even to the younger generation. I can't believe that anyone would compare him to Beethoven!
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,681
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul McCartney, I thought he died in 1966? ;-)

I'm pretty sure he did, the real McCartney would never have come up with We all stand together:-D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    I'm sorry but I disagree. He's "sir" in this country. Do you expect every teenager around the world to know who he is? I'm sorry to disappoint his fans but he's no Elvis or Michael Jackson in terms of being a musical icon who is instantly still known even to the younger generation. I can't believe that anyone would compare him to Beethoven!

Paul McCartney is no Elvis or Michael Jackson? Really? The Beatles are just as well known as Elvis or Jackson, or indeed anyone else in the world of music. Why wouldn't people compare him to Beethoven? McCartney was one of the most renowned composers of his era, writing music that was synonymous with an entire generation. I don't see how that's much different really.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not knowing who Paul M is because parents didn't listen to The Beatles is a very poor excuse.

My parents never listened to Joni Mitchell or Kate Bush, but that didn't stop me from knowing who they are and actually becoming fan of them with no influence from others.

Right, so you just magically knew who Joni Mitchell and Kate Bush were, without ever being exposed to them in some kind of way? How exactly did you discover them?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lol Paul MacArther

It did become hard to tell, as I think there were one or two genuinely dumb tweets and then a flood of sarcastic ones.

I always feel sad knowing that some people's music knowledge is so limited. It surprised me just how lazy some people are that they don't experiment with different genres or even look back through the years.

Even if they genuinely don't know who someone like Paul McCartney is, I'm surprised they are as accepting of their limited knowledge to just tweet about it. It would take a few mins to google his name and know the basic info about him.

Why does it automatically mean their musical knowledge is limited just because they don't possess the same knowledge as you do? People have different interests and acquire different knowledge.

I quite often watch Pointless on BBC and I manage to guess many of the pointless answers, when the guests on the show don't. They do have great knowledge in a wide range of subjects, however the newer something seems to be, the less the adults on the show seem to guess correctly. So limited knowledge works both ways really. There's no difference between people who have more knowledge on things from the 70s vs somebody who has more knowledge on things from the 90s, one is not superior to the other.

Also, the younger you are, you are more likely to possess less knowledge. It takes to time to build knowledge in many different areas and subjects, people don't just go to sleep one night knowing nothing, then magically wake up the next day knowing everything. Rock music has never been much to my taste but I absolutely love electronic and dance music, therefore it makes sense that I'm more likely to spend more of my time looking back through the years of my favoured genres and also exploring all the new underground music coming out of those generes, before I decide to study the history of Rock Music. This does not make me lazy but means I only have so many hours a day where I can be sat around focusing on music and the fact the music I actually prefer comes first in my interests, is perfectly natural.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Right, so you just magically knew who Joni Mitchell and Kate Bush were, without ever being exposed to them in some kind of way? How exactly did you discover them?

I discovered them through actively searching for different music to become interested in. The internet being one main source. It isn't hard to discover and learn things without being exposed to them through friends and family

Most people these days don't want to discover new things, unless it's current right now and in their face through the media.