Options

ECB and Terrestrial TV

SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With the ECB cricket having a new boss will they put cricket on terrestrial tv after the current deal expires.

Comments

• Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Time to pull the trigger.

I hope so.

Sky need to stop trying to dominate everything. Cricket needs terrestrial TV exposure.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member
    Only if they want to take a huge drop in income which I doubt.
  • Options
    Alex2606Alex2606 Posts: 2,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the ECB cricket having a new boss will they put cricket on terrestrial tv after the current deal expires.

Depends if anyone wants to show it.........

(Somebody stand by with the Pick TV Klaxon for this thread)
  • Options
    KNs47KNs47 Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    The best thing about the arrival of Pay Sports Channels was the removal of Cricket from FTA TV because in three of the four UK nations it's a minority sport but was afforded too much airtime outside England. BBC1 daytime afternoons were a nightmare at times.
  • Options
    FusionFuryFusionFury Posts: 14,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How great was the 2005 Ashes series on terrestrial TV? drama all the time, the whole country talking about it.. front and backpage news.

Sadly we as a country never capitalized on that and since let the greedy Sky takeover it virtually killing the game at Grassroots level.

Honest, hard working blokes playing sport slogging it out for hours in the day. It was different to football and people related to it.
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    How great was the 2005 Ashes series on terrestrial TV? drama all the time, the whole country talking about it.. front and backpage news.

Sadly we as a country never capitalized on that and since let the greedy Sky takeover it virtually killing the game at Grassroots level.

Honest, hard working blokes playing sport slogging it out for hours in the day. It was different to football and people related to it.

Very few series are like that one in 2005. As for the Sky deal virtually killing the game at grassroots level that is utter nonsense.

As for "greedy" Sky they had the opportunity to bid for the rights and did so - for a pretty penny. How is that greedy? You may care to direct any allegations in that regard at the ECB - no one forced them to hand the rights exclusively to Sky.

Whilst the new look ECB might like some live cricket on terrestrial it will only happen if they are prepared to take a hit in terms of income. It will also only likely be domestic T20 - maybe the occasional evening game between say 7 and 10pm.
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it is more likely to be a domestic game, the England team is, like Rugby Union a bigger asset than the counties..
  • Options
    popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    Id like to see cricket back LIVE on FTA telly but the ECB love their money from Sky so its not gonna happen!
    The only way that will change s if the crown jewels list is changed forcing it back!
    (Should never have been changed in the first place IMHO!!)
  • Options
    AMCHRISPNORTH80AMCHRISPNORTH80 Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    I'd like to see PICK TV show some cricket!
  • Options
    wolvesdavidwolvesdavid Posts: 10,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone in this thread actually have any involvement at their local junior cricket club. I can safely say that it has more junior members than it has ever had before.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Showing test Cricket on a FTA entertainment channel is very difficult if anything the ECB should like to show T20 or highlights.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    FusionFury wrote: »
    Time to pull the trigger.

I hope so.

Sky need to stop trying to dominate everything. Cricket needs terrestrial TV exposure.

Tbh, the ECB executives are so rapped up with greed, nice expenses and lunches as a result of the Sky deal that I cannot see any new ECB boss wishing to change that situation.

As with Formula 1, I'd like to see a situation where some cricket matches (of all types) are shown free to air with others being behind a Sky paywall. I'd certainly want UK-based Ashes tests to be free to air but it'll almost certainly take government pressure/intervention to change the situation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Tbh, the ECB executives are so rapped up with greed, nice expenses and lunches as a result of the Sky deal that I cannot see any new ECB boss wishing to change that situation.

As with Formula 1, I'd like to see a situation where some cricket matches (of all types) are shown free to air with others being behind a Sky paywall. I'd certainly want UK-based Ashes tests to be free to air but it'll almost certainly take government pressure/intervention to change the situation.

Even with Sky's money, the ECB barely scrape into profit. Even if the growth long term might give them more profit they won't lose Sky's money.
  • Options
    CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    KNs47 wrote: »
    The best thing about the arrival of Pay Sports Channels was the removal of Cricket from FTA TV because in three of the four UK nations it's a minority sport but was afforded too much airtime outside England. BBC1 daytime afternoons were a nightmare at times.

Funny that since it's gone off bbc channels the sport has grown massively in Ireland. They got 10,000 people to watch a game v England and are showing they can compete at the world cup. There is a balance between the two but no reason why T20 cricket wouldn't be a big summer sport on UK FTA.
  • Options
    jo2015jo2015 Posts: 6,021
    Forum Member

Rubbish.

It's the England and Wales cricket board.

Never heard of Glamorgan? Or Simon Jones? Would England have won the Ashes in 05 without him?

It's the national summer sport of Wales. There's no rugby season during the summer you know.

Glamorgan matches would be on BBC Wales during the summer (Sunday league or tour matches)

Edward Bevan on Sunday Spin!

09 Ashes test at Cardiff packed out (Sri Lanka one in 11 was ruined by rain)
  • Options
    abecernabecern Posts: 151
    Forum Member

Cricket would be better than the garbage like Loose Women, plethora of home decoration and cooking programs that fill the daytime schedule, much of it geared towards housewives.

Anyway, the best compromise between money and exposure might be to sell live England internationals to BT or Sky with an hour highlights early evening (night matches would need to have a later start obviously) on FTA (highlights should include every international England play in, including T20s). The highlights should be very well made, the scene should be set, show key plays (not just boundaries, sixes and wickets). The viewer should get a real feel for what happened during the day and transpired by the end of it.

Create a summer T20 lasting a month and sell the rights to live action on FTA. This I feel would be a very good compromise between getting as much money as possible while broadening the game's exposure.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Even with Sky's money, the ECB barely scrape into profit.

Nonsense. The ECB has built up huge cash reserves over recent years. At the last count, they had over £40 million squirrelled away. Most of the first class counties struggle to make ends meet, but the same certainly cannot be said of the ECB.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nonsense. The ECB has built up huge cash reserves over recent years. At the last count, they had over £40 million squirrelled away. Most of the first class counties struggle to make ends meet, but the same certainly cannot be said of the ECB.

I said profit not cash, two different things.

Last year they made £9m profit, the year before they made a loss.
  • Options
    BhaveshgorBhaveshgor Posts: 9,312
    Forum Member

Well they only make profit when india and Australia come over, apart from that every other series is a loss making exercise for them.
  • Options
    Darren LethemDarren Lethem Posts: 61,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abecern wrote: »
    Cricket would be better than the garbage like Loose Women, plethora of home decoration and cooking programs that fill the daytime schedule, much of it geared towards housewives.

Anyway, the best compromise between money and exposure might be to sell live England internationals to BT or Sky with an hour highlights early evening (night matches would need to have a later start obviously) on FTA (highlights should include every international England play in, including T20s). The highlights should be very well made, the scene should be set, show key plays (not just boundaries, sixes and wickets). The viewer should get a real feel for what happened during the day and transpired by the end of it.

Create a summer T20 lasting a month and sell the rights to live action on FTA. This I feel would be a very good compromise between getting as much money as possible while broadening the game's exposure.

You mean the majority of people at home at that time ?

I would wager you ( name your own price ) that Loose Women or This Morning would get considerably more viewers than Lancashire V Somerset

You keep banging on about t20. I barely watch it, i am a cricket fan and to me that isnt proper cricket. It would be like showing 5 a side football instead of a Premier league match.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No matter what your views on this the plain fact is Cricket is the only major sport with absolutely no free to air coverage live, which in my view is a bad state of affairs for the game.

Even the indian premier league coverage has been bought by sky.
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I would love to see it, it's hard to justify seeing two counties play each other on national TV - it's pretty hard to justify on pay-TV (!) - as only the fans of the counties playing + a few others would be interested.

But that doesn't mean why there can't be a (FTA?) web-channel showing much more county cricket - OK with reduced cameras (it's the same game whether there are 40 or 4 cameras) and the BBC web radio commentary for those of us who DO follow the county game, warts and all. Maybe there could be more web coverage for a fee to cover expenses - maybe £50/season and free to anyone who is a county full member?

Even one camera (deep mid-wicket boundary would cover the sqaure) on the red button + radio commentary would give fans some idea of what the county game is like.

Q for the anoracks out there; what was the last televised live FTA game involving two counties (excluding S4C as they showed some of Glamorgan's 20/20 games last decade)??
  • Options
    Forum Member

Can't build up cash reserves if you don't make some profits! Elementary maths...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bhaveshgor wrote: »
    Well they only make profit when india and Australia come over, apart from that every other series is a loss making exercise for them.

Utter rubbish. Where's your figures to prove this ludicrous statement?
  • Options
    mightymilliemightymillie Posts: 5,075
    Forum Member
    howard h wrote: »
    Q for the anoracks out there; what was the last televised live FTA game involving two counties (excluding S4C as they showed some of Glamorgan's 20/20 games last decade)??

It would have been Lancs v Hants on September 6th 1998 I think.