Options

Does anyone have any positive stories from Sony in regards to fraudulent purchases?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
Forum Member
Having a nightmare at the moment and everything online points towards my account being closed down as ill need to get a refund from my credit card company for fraudulent purchases on my sony PSN account.

Sony's customer service is appalling, no ETA's on resolution of investigation, it's been 5 days now since i had £500 added to my wallet fraudulently from by stored card details.

No complaints procedure, and god forbid ask to escalate or speak to a manager and they just hang up!! :(>:(

Comments

• Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I though the most you could hold in your PSN wallet was £100.
  • Options
    gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The limit is £100. So not sure what happened here
  • Options
    HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what I have read Sony seem really poor at handling fraud complaints.

Its one of the reasons I haven't added any credit card details to my accounts since the PSN Hack and continue to fund PSN purchases with pre-paid cards. This is really something Sony need to improve on because relying on pre-paid cards means no impulse PSN purchases from me and when sales come up with an offer I want on I often pass them by because I can't get to the shops to pick up a card that week. Its only when something I really want appears that I actually go and get a card ASAP.
  • Options
    dave666dave666 Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hotbird wrote: »

Its one of the reasons I haven't added any credit card details to my accounts since the PSN Hack and continue to fund PSN purchases with pre-paid cards. This is really something Sony need to improve on because relying on pre-paid cards means no impulse PSN purchases from me and when sales come up with an offer I want on I often pass them by because I can't get to the shops to pick up a card that week. Its only when something I really want appears that I actually go and get a card ASAP.

you can top up your psn wallet up by mobile. you pay for it via a premium rate text
  • Options
    MC_SatanMC_Satan Posts: 26,512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why not buy a prepayment code via Amazon or something?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dave666 wrote: »
    you can top up your psn wallet up by mobile. you pay for it via a premium rate text

How does that work?
    MC_Satan wrote: »
    Why not buy a prepayment code via Amazon or something?

I do sometimes but its still more hassle than using stored details on PSN which I might do again if Sony didn't have such a bad reputation in this area.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does that work?

on ps3 put what you want to buy in your basket go to checkout click add funds, select pay by mobile it will take you to a web page enter your mobile number you will recieve a text. reply y to the text it will confirm in less than a minute then click done. not sure if you can do it on ps4 i have not got 1 yet
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i forgot to mention you don not have to buy what you put in the basket when you are directed back to the psn store you can remove the item and the credit will still be there for when you need. i think the limit is £15 for mobile top up.
  • Options
    TraceTTraceT Posts: 209
    Forum Member
    dave666 wrote: »
    i forgot to mention you don not have to buy what you put in the basket when you are directed back to the psn store you can remove the item and the credit will still be there for when you need. i think the limit is £15 for mobile top up.

I topup our wallet up by mobile. I use the online PSN store to do this.
    Click add funds to wallet from the top near your name. It takes you to your SEN account where you can choose mobile to add funds. The limit is £30 from all main carriers.
    I'm on PAYG, so it's taken from my credit which sometimes builds up from topping up to keep the freebee going.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TraceT wrote: »
    I topup our wallet up by mobile. I use the online PSN store to do this.
    Click add funds to wallet from the top near your name. It takes you to your SEN account where you can choose mobile to add funds. The limit is £30 from all main carriers.
    I'm on PAYG, so it's taken from my credit which sometimes builds up from topping up to keep the freebee going.

thanks i did not notice that i will look for it next time i need to top up my psn
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They did it in multiple transactions of different amounts.

Still no word from Sony. 11 days now.

Can't speak to a manager as they just hang up, no complaints procedure.

Have now raised with the credit card company as I can't wait any longer. I Friend has suggested I log a small claims court claim about them when they come back and advise they won't do anything to help me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still a bit puzzled about how that would work.

So they added funds, spent it on games, added more funds, spent it on more games, added even more funds, spent it on even more games and so on, up to a value of £500?

Have I got that right?
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

So they added funds, spent it on games, added more funds, spent it on more games, added even more funds, spent it on even more games and so on, up to a value of £500?

Have I got that right?

I was wondering that... and where are the games? Can games be gifted to other users? I've never spotted that...
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    I was wondering that... and where are the games? Can games be gifted to other users? I've never spotted that...

No, you can't gift games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    No, you can't gift games.

Didn't think so... so someone has repeatedly added money to the OPs account and then bought games on the OPs account, up to £500 worth. So the OP is stuck with £500 worth of games that have been paid for with their own payment details that they don't want...

Or, OP, are you saying that someone else who lives with you has been buying games on your system, using your account and payment details? In which case, yeah, sticky situation as a certain amount of onus is on you keeping your PSN account details secure... Might be better off chasing the person behind this for the money...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't think so... so someone has repeatedly added money to the OPs account and then bought games on the OPs account, up to £500 worth. So the OP is stuck with £500 worth of games that have been paid for with their own payment details that they don't want...

Or, OP, are you saying that someone else who lives with you has been buying games on your system, using your account and payment details? In which case, yeah, sticky situation as a certain amount of onus is on you keeping your PSN account details secure... Might be better off chasing the person behind this for the money...

So.....

The OP allowed an individual access to their console with no payment protection password in place.

Or....

An individual somehow has the OP's PSN email address and password and has used a second console (or webstore) to log in and continuously top up the wallet and buy £500 worth of games.

In either of these circumstances I don't see how the fault lies with Sony. While I have sympathy for anyone with an unexpected bill, crediting £500 back would be the charitable thing to do, but I doubt they are in any way under obligation to do so.
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So.....

The OP allowed an individual access to their console with no payment protection password in place.

Or....

An individual somehow has the OP's PSN email address and password and has used a second console (or webstore) to log in and continuously top up the wallet and buy £500 worth of games.

In either of these circumstances I don't see how the fault lies with Sony. While I have sympathy for anyone with an unexpected bill, crediting £500 back would be the charitable thing to do, but I doubt they are in any way under obligation to do so.
    I guess its possible that the user name and password was fraudulently obtained from the hack a couple of years ago and someone is logging in as the OP on their own console and downloading games. We really need the OP to come back and explain further as its not making much sense at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    I guess its possible that the user name and password was fraudulently obtained from the hack a couple of years ago and someone is logging in as the OP on their own console and downloading games. We really need the OP to come back and explain further as its not making much sense at the moment.

Passwords have been reset since then, in fact, I think they've been done twice.

But yeah, the OP has only posted twice and the info given doesn't seem to fully match up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So.....

Or....

Assuming the OP's PSN details have been fraudulently obtained by somebody who has then spent £500 on the PSN then while its not Sonys fault they could handle the situation better. The best approach for the OP is the contact the credit card company and report the fraudulent activity but this will result in Sony banning the OP's PSN account. Sony need a process in place (Probably in conjunction with the Credit Card company) to refund the victim, remove the purchased games from the victims account and then pursue a fraud investigation with the credit card company.

But the approach Sony seem to take is to ignore fraudulent activity on their network, blame the victim and ban their account should they decide to pursue the matter with their credit card company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Assuming the OP's PSN details have been fraudulently obtained by somebody who has then spent £500 on the PSN then while its not Sonys fault they could handle the situation better. The best approach for the OP is the contact the credit card company and report the fraudulent activity but this will result in Sony banning the OP's PSN account. Sony need a process in place (Probably in conjunction with the Credit Card company) to refund the victim, remove the purchased games from the victims account and then pursue a fraud investigation with the credit card company.

But the approach Sony seem to take is to ignore fraudulent activity on their network, blame the victim and ban their account should they decide to pursue the matter with their credit card company.

While I agree with you in principle, would having such a procedure in place leave the door open to members who just wanted refunds on games they didn't particularly like, or after they'd completed them? There's nothing to stop anyone buying a game via the webstore and then going to Sony claiming they were hacked and demamding a refund. The line has to be drawn somewhere unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    While I agree with you in principle, would having such a procedure in place leave the door open to members who just wanted refunds on games they didn't particularly like, or after they'd completed them? There's nothing to stop anyone buying a game via the webstore and then going to Sony claiming they were hacked and demamding a refund. The line has to be drawn somewhere unfortunately.

Exactly.

Depending on the circumstances behind what has been 'fraudulent' here, it might be a case where neither Sony, MS, Nintendo, Steam or anyone would refund the user...
  • Options
    Forum Member

Have I got that right?

Yep all within 20 mins.

Sony tell me that it had been done via the webpage and not a console. I changed the password so it looks like they bought the games but didn't get chance to download any as no of them have been downloaded.

Although it doesn't make any different as Sony don't refund any games purchased online even though they have been done fraudulently. I will now have to get a refund via card company and I will have my id banned by sony.

Charming !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they're on your account and paid for with your payment details. You have access to the games as games can't be gifted. Can you prove you, or someone you've given access to, didn't do it? That's the angle Sony, and any other provider, would be coming from or, as has already been said, anyone could purchase games and demand a refund when they change their minds.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    These big companies seem to like to track everything we do so they can target advertisements ect towards us, they track our gaming through trophy systems as well. Could they not track whether a game had been downloaded or used, how many times that game had been used (The 'Whats New' section often tells me how many times I have played something). But it seems these big companies can only track the data that benefits them rather than the data that helps customers who have issues.

Sure a system could be abused and people could buy a game, then demand a refund because they didn't like it claiming fraud but wouldn't the subsequent fraud investigation uncover that. It would certainly be flag up if a user repeatedly bought games then claimed to blamed it on fraudulent activities.

This seems an increasing problem and the way it is handled isn't very good for an industry that want to convince us digital is the future. There must be a better solution than the current way of blaming the customers and making them take the hit or should they dare take the issue up with their credit card company risk losing their PSN account and all purchased games.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But they're on your account and paid for with your payment details. You have access to the games as games can't be gifted. Can you prove you, or someone you've given access to, didn't do it? That's the angle Sony, and any other provider, would be coming from or, as has already been said, anyone could purchase games and demand a refund when they change their minds.

Can I prove it? No I can't but you would expect Sony to be collecting some details to help customers in this scenario considering the following -

I've only purchased one online game in the history of being on the ps4 so why would I then add £530 of credit and but 15 games, I'd have to be completely crazy and you would hope that Sony would be storing info of where the purchases were made like up address's etc, A basic requirement I'm sure.

Also begs the question why they don't request the secruity number from the card every time a purchase is made as this info would be a lot harder for fraudster to obtain.

I don't doubt some people do do this but only when it's the odd game not £530 pounds worth and surely they have a duty of care to customers who do report fraud, but quite simply they don't and they don't care about customer being ripped off :-d