A visit to the UK in the 60s

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
Forum Member
They have visited the USA in the 60s, but I would love to see an episode set in Great Britain in this era. Anyone else agree?

Tenth doctor and Martha were there very briefly in Blink, but I don't think that really counts.

It would be great to have a story set around Beatlemania or the summer of love.

I suppose there would be the possibilty of the doctor bumping into his former self though?

Comments

• JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In an "Unearthly Child", the favourite pop group of Susan, the First Doctor's granddaughter, were John Smith and the Common Men.

The Doctor sometimes calls himself John Smith, doesn't he? More wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, but I'd love to see the Eleventh Doctor travel back to the early sixties and create that band, giving them a slightly Gallifreyan sound that he knows his granddaughter would love!
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have visited the USA in the 60s, but I would love to see an episode set in Great Britain in this era. Anyone else agree?

Tenth doctor and Martha were there very briefly in Blink, but I don't think that really counts.

It would be great to have a story set around Beatlemania or the summer of love.

I suppose there would be the possibilty of the doctor bumping into his former self though?

Well he knew what he did there in the early 60s - presumably hang around London mostly so Susan could lead a 'normal' life, so if he steered clear of that he'd be okay, That's when the 500 year diary before last or so would come in useful!

By the way they'd left long before the 'summer of love' so that would work though I suppose he could bump into Polly again, or even Ian and Barbara...
  • TalmaTalma Posts: 10,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In an "Unearthly Child", the favourite pop group of Susan, the First Doctor's granddaughter, were John Smith and the Common Men.

The Doctor sometimes calls himself John Smith, doesn't he? More wibbly-wobbly, timey-wimey, but I'd love to see the Eleventh Doctor travel back to the early sixties and create that band, giving them a slightly Gallifreyan sound that he knows his granddaughter would love!

I'd forgotten that, that's frightening. Also remember that Jack lived through the 60s at least once, presumably with Torchwood (though not necessarily in Cardiff) and I imagine he really enjoyed the whole new disco/free love/letting it all hang out setup:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

I love that idea, that would be brilliant!
    Talma wrote: »
    Well he knew what he did there in the early 60s - presumably hang around London mostly so Susan could lead a 'normal' life, so if he steered clear of that he'd be okay, That's when the 500 year diary before last or so would come in useful!

By the way they'd left long before the 'summer of love' so that would work though I suppose he could bump into Polly again, or even Ian and Barbara...

I'm not sure what you mean when you say they had left long before the summer of love. They were still returning to Earth inbetween adventures weren't they? It's not one continuous journey.
  • gslam2gslam2 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love that idea, that would be brilliant!

I'm not sure what you mean when you say they had left long before the summer of love. They were still returning to Earth inbetween adventures weren't they? It's not one continuous journey.

In Sixties Who the Tardis was constantly on the move so they didn't pop back to contemporary Earth all the time. Hartnell only did briefly in The Chase and for a whole story in The War Machines.

Troughton was there more often but still not to the point where you would be risking bumping into him all the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    gslam2 wrote: »
    In Sixties Who the Tardis was constantly on the move so they didn't pop back to contemporary Earth all the time. Hartnell only did briefly in The Chase and for a whole story in The War Machines.

Troughton was there more often but still not to the point where you would be risking bumping into him all the time.

But they would still have probably been there at some point in 1967. That was what I meant really, not that they would be there all the time.