Options

ABC cancels "Don't Trust the B.. in Apartment 23" :(

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Gave up after the 2nd episode as it just wasn't for me, but pleased to see Happy Endings may well live to see a 4th season.

If we ever get the frikkin' 3rd season in this country !

Once you get a third season you're effectively guaranteed a fourth, especially when Sony Pictures Television are concerned. Which is a shame, because Happy Endings is not for me....
  • Options
    Dar WDar W Posts: 728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if they don't show the episodes in the States,don't other countries normally show all the episodes that are in the can so hopefully E4 will show the whole lot
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Once you get a third season you're effectively guaranteed a fourth, especially when Sony Pictures Television are concerned. Which is a shame, because Happy Endings is not for me....

Yeah, i suppose syndication and the money it brings comes in to the picture then.
  • Options
    mgnsmgns Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Even if they don't show the episodes in the States,don't other countries normally show all the episodes that are in the can so hopefully E4 will show the whole lot

Hopefully, but I wouldn't trust E4 to do it - after seeing the mess they've made of Season 6 of Rules of Engagement (months on, they still heven't shown the final 2 episodes).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ahhhhh :( i loved season 1. only seen 1/2 eps of S2 but was gonna catch up on it. no point now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    Ive emailed them i doubt they will listen but hears hoping
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The 1st series of Apartment 23 (they should have called it that from the start) is being shown late Friday night on Channel 4.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That is the biggest thing that really gets my goat! When a show is cancelled, and they just shelve any remaining episodes! Are their schedules so full up that they cant even show the rest, even on slow nights where there is competition from stronger shows on other networks at the same time? Things like this really make me think they could care more about the viewers who stick with a show. Its all upside down imo.

Chances are the remaining episodes will be burnt off during the summer, when nobody gives a shit.

US networks think that the customer is advertisers and you are the product. They bend over backwards to suit the customer and couldn't give a shit about the product...
  • Options
    tamibecketttamibeckett Posts: 5,261
    Forum Member

US networks think that the customer is advertisers and you are the product. They bend over backwards to suit the customer and couldn't give a shit about the product...

Works for CBS....just not in 18-49 demo so much (except for Big Bang Theory)
  • Options
    fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chances are the remaining episodes will be burnt off during the summer, when nobody gives a shit.

Ive heard of this burning off thingy, I remember being really into Farscape, and due to the shelving of the remaining episodes after its cancellation, we saw the final before they did in the states, and in the states it seemed like it was burnt off like a second class show. Its like they networks really disrespect the work that goes into making these shows, but suppose its a money making thing really.

Anyone know at what point we are at over here with Dont trust the B? Maybe we could the remaining episodes over sooner then the states.
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone know at what point we are at over here with Dont trust the B? Maybe we could the remaining episodes over sooner then the states.

The first season has been shown on E4, and is being shown on C4 tonight.

The second season hasn't been shown in the UK yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ive heard of this burning off thingy, I remember being really into Farscape, and due to the shelving of the remaining episodes after its cancellation, we saw the final before they did in the states, and in the states it seemed like it was burnt off like a second class show. Its like they networks really disrespect the work that goes into making these shows, but suppose its a money making thing really.

Nobody (with the exception of premium cable networks and AMC) cares about the quality of their shows. They're not artists they're businessmen, and AMC don't exactly have the best reputation, reducing The Walking Dead's budget in favour of lower rated Mad Men and having to fire Frank Darabont because of the resulting fall out...
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    fairy_ wrote: »

I think the situation may be different in Europe- I know
    the BBC say they take the DVR viewings for shows
    like "Doctor Who" into account. If DTT*IA23 had been
    made in Britain it might have made it to a third
    series.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody (with the exception of premium cable networks and AMC) cares about the quality of their shows. They're not artists they're businessmen, and AMC don't exactly have the best reputation, reducing The Walking Dead's budget in favour of lower rated Mad Men and having to fire Frank Darabont because of the resulting fall out...

There haven't been any "hits" from the new shows of 2012. The shows that got the best ratings was The Walking Dead and Big Bang Theory, and some reality shows. I think to me that's a big story.

Networks are trying to find the next Modern Family, The Walking Dead, etc
  • Options
    malcy30malcy30 Posts: 7,177
    Forum Member
    I think the situation may be different in Europe- I know
    the BBC say they take the DVR viewings for shows
    like "Doctor Who" into account. If DTT*IA23 had been
    made in Britain it might have made it to a third
    series.

The BBC can take account of DVR views as all they are interest in is total viewers as they are funded by a license fee independent of what people watch.

In the US it is all about live viewers on the free Network channels as they are the people who sit through the adverts. Even then it is only those aged 18 to 49 as older people are considered by advertisers to be immune to the influence of adverts and hence not persuaded to buy the product.

DVR views are no value as you skip the adverts.

I record all my ITV, C4 and C5 shows and watch recorded on my Humax Freeview PVR. Is great it has a 4 minute skip button. So hit then when the show goes to adverts and you are normally ready for the restart. So I watch the shows of these channels but never watch an advert. You can see why ITV wants other revenue streams e.g. pay HD versions of the channels on Sky, forced adverts you have to watch on ITV Player (non Sky version)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    malcy30 wrote: »
    The BBC can take account of DVR views as all they are interest in is total viewers as they are funded by a license fee independent of what people watch.

In the US it is all about live viewers on the free Network channels as they are the people who sit through the adverts. Even then it is only those aged 18 to 49 as older people are considered by advertisers to be immune to the influence of adverts and hence not persuaded to buy the product.

DVR views are no value as you skip the adverts.

I record all my ITV, C4 and C5 shows and watch recorded on my Humax Freeview PVR. Is great it has a 4 minute skip button. So hit then when the show goes to adverts and you are normally ready for the restart. So I watch the shows of these channels but never watch an advert. You can see why ITV wants other revenue streams e.g. pay HD versions of the channels on Sky, forced adverts you have to watch on ITV Player (non Sky version)

Things are starting to change. Fox (US) are encouraging viewers to DVR The Following, because as long as they watch within 72 hours, Fox still gets the advertiser money. They are doing it as a trial, but it's unlikely for it to ever get a complete roll out....

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/fox-is-totally-cool-if-you-dvr-the-following.html
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things are starting to change. Fox (US) are encouraging viewers to DVR The Following, because as long as they watch within 72 hours, Fox still gets the advertiser money. They are doing it as a trial, but it's unlikely for it to ever get a complete roll out....

http://www.vulture.com/2013/01/fox-is-totally-cool-if-you-dvr-the-following.html

I thought this was funny ..
    "We began talking about how we might be in a new world where we had to tell people to set their DVRs."

They're a few years too late on this "new world" :)
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    They're a few years too late on this "new world" :)

You've just described all of big media. In a few years they'll be like "hey guys, have you heard of this thing called the internet?"
  • Options
    thetvkingthetvking Posts: 333
    Forum Member
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    You've just described all of big media. In a few years they'll be like "hey guys, have you heard of this thing called the internet?"
    :D

Apartment 23 will be shown on E4 later this year along with the rest of E4's US comedy catalogue: Happy Endings, Rules of Engagement, New Girl and Suburgatory.

Along with those on air now(ish): Big Bang Theory, How I Met Your Mother, 2 Broke Girls and The New Normal.

They tend to spread them out throughout the year so that we don't get a long period of repeats. For example last summer they aired brand new New Girl and Suburgatory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There will probably be a bloodbath of comedies getting cancelled this year. Fox's tuesday comedy lineup is doing horribly ratings wise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There will probably be a bloodbath of comedies getting cancelled this year. Fox's tuesday comedy lineup is doing horribly ratings wise.

From tuesdays Raising Hope and New Girl likely to be renewed. The Mindy Project is 50/50 and we know Fox has no hope in The Goodwin Games so is likely to be cancelled (but it is from Carter Bays and Craig Thomas of How I Met Your Mother, so it could prove a surprise hit...)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    From tuesdays Raising Hope and New Girl likely to be renewed. The Mindy Project is 50/50 and we know Fox has no hope in The Goodwin Games so is likely to be cancelled (but it is from Carter Bays and Craig Thomas of How I Met Your Mother, so it could prove a surprise hit...)

To be honest, every network is chasing after a "Modern Family" ratings type hit or if the want to dream a "Big Bang Theory" monster of a hit.
  • Options
    Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Given that Nahnatchka Khan was working on DTTBIA23 for five whole years before it aired last year, she must be really despondent that it got axed. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Oh, ****!! Just started watching this :(