Drug testing for new job

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
Forum Member
Hi, I've recently seen a job that i'm interested in applying for. I've read through the application form, all seems fine. The final paragraph though states that before employment is confirmed the applicant must take a drugs test.

Whilst i'm fairly clean living I do occasionally have a smoke of grass, but nothing else. I'm guessing it depends on what test they do, as I've read that testing of hair can detect substances for up to a year after consumption whereas with urine it would only be around 8 days.

It's not a public sector job, it's a customer service job. But I'm thinking, is there any point in applying if I'm going to fail the drugs test!

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stop using drugs and in the future you won't have a problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32
    Forum Member
    Yeah, thanks for that. I don't drink. I also don't cause anti-social behaviour in my city centre on a friday/saturday, vomit in the street, get into fights, destroy public property etc. etc.

Not every drunk does, but a lot do. I sit at home, mind my own business and don't cause anyone any harm.
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, thanks for that. I don't drink. I also don't cause anti-social behaviour in my city centre on a friday/saturday, vomit in the street, get into fights, destroy public property etc. etc.

Not every drunk does, but a lot do. I sit at home, mind my own business and don't cause anyone any harm.

appears to possibly be causing you harm though, as you might not get this job.

however, if we want to play devils advocate. where do you source your drugs from? i assume it comes from a dealer somewhere, who probably also deals other stuff as well.

your the bottom of a long nasty chain. you personally might not be causing any anti-social behaviour, but somewhere down the line there most likely is. you're a facilitator of that albeit indirectly.

but hey, good luck with the potential job.
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    appears to possibly be causing you harm though, as you might not get this job.

however, if we want to play devils advocate. where do you source your drugs from? i assume it comes from a dealer somewhere, who probably also deals other stuff as well.

your the bottom of a long nasty chain. you personally might not be causing any anti-social behaviour, but somewhere down the line there most likely is. you're a facilitator of that albeit indirectly.

but hey, good luck with the potential job.

Ok, i don't want this to turn into an argument about the moral rights and wrongs of drugs or anything else.

But...where do your trainers come from? Where was your tv made? What about the food you buy? They all possibly come from children in sweatshops, poverty stricken workers in cramped factories and exploited farmers.

What if I buy my drugs from a guy down the road who grows it in his shed? What if he earned the victoria cross in battle and smokes marajuana for medicinal purposes because the pain in his phantom arm - which was blown off by a landmine - is so bad and he doesn't want to become dependant on NHS prescribed painkillers.

All hypothetical mind, but you get the point...
  • MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    It is most likely a urine test - so I wouldnt worry. Although I assume they will expect you to be drug free while youre doing the job as well, so maybe it isnt for you?
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On Jeremy Kyle (sorry, I know, I know, I'm on maternity leave, ok) they say their drugs tests detect drugs taken in the previous 3 days, I would guess it would be similar.

It will be a urine test I am almost 99% certain so if you stop smoking weed now then you should be okay even if you start again afterwards. I would guess they're more interested in ensuring they don't employ someone with an addiction to hard drugs than catching out people who have the odd spliff.
    Forum Member
    Smallalien wrote: »
    On Jeremy Kyle (sorry, I know, I know, I'm on maternity leave, ok) they say their drugs tests detect drugs taken in the previous 3 days, I would guess it would be similar.

It will be a urine test I am almost 99% certain so if you stop smoking weed now then you should be okay even if you start again afterwards. I would guess they're more interested in ensuring they don't employ someone with an addiction to hard drugs than catching out people who have the odd spliff.

Hey, don't knock Kyle, he's an endless source of wisdom ;-)

Yeah, I sort of suspect that. It's no biggie, it's not the job of my dreams, it's slightly more pay than my current one so it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just don't want to go through the whole rigmarole and get to that point and fail.
  • ErrodielErrodiel Posts: 4,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here's the NHS info on it - it's a bit "how long is a piece of string", but it's something.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2287.aspx?categoryid=53&subcategoryid=536

Edit: As pointed out above, it's worth finding out if there will be regular testing, as you may have to choose between the job and the smoking.
    Forum Member
    Errodiel wrote: »
    Here's the NHS info on it - it's a bit "how long is a piece of string", but it's something.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/2287.aspx?categoryid=53&subcategoryid=536

Edit: As pointed out above, it's worth finding out if there will be regular testing, as you may have to choose between the job and the smoking.

Cheers that's interesting, I'm definately not a heavy user. If there were regular testing I would most definately stop smoking.
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've got a friend who lost her job on the spot with a random (hair) test. Be warned.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends on the jobsworth really...They might not even care if its a low level of weed. If its a hair test you could just live with someone that smokes it like I do.
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    I've got a friend who lost her job on the spot with a random (hair) test. Be warned.

really, what did she test positive for?
  • Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    really, what did she test positive for?

That's between her/her former employer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should not smoke that stuff.
  • SmallalienSmallalien Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, don't knock Kyle, he's an endless source of wisdom ;-)

Yeah, I sort of suspect that. It's no biggie, it's not the job of my dreams, it's slightly more pay than my current one so it wouldn't be the end of the world. I just don't want to go through the whole rigmarole and get to that point and fail.

You could look at it another way and just go on a health kick for a month or so and cut out the booze and do a bit of exercise, see if you can shift a few pounds and get a bit of muscle definition. It's only for a month and it's good to do things like that sometimes.

Incidentally how do you smoke it? I don't smoke it ever but my husband does very occasionally despite me nagging him not to. But he does smoke it in a pipe or a bong so he's not smoking tobacco, if you're having it with tobacco in a spliff you should be far more worried about the effects of the tobacco.
  • chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    My company brought in a policy of drug and alcohol testing about 4 years ago. Before it started we had information briefings and apparently cannabis will show up on a urine test several weeks after smoking it. Anything else will pretty much be out of your system within 2 - 3 days. Obviously if you've had a smoke a week ago you're long past the stage of being 'under the influence' but it will still show up.

The company has a policy of testing new applicants and current employees and anyone who tests positive for cannabis is out.
  • fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member

I'm inclined to agree.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no issue if someone wants to occasionally smoke a bit of weed.

However if you want this job your optiona are: 1) stop and take the job or 2) carry on smoking [albeit occasionallly] and look for a job that won't drug test you.
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You're having a laugh! What happened.. whipped out a strand of hair, dipped it in something, and fired her? Mefinks not. :D
  • misha06misha06 Posts: 3,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impinger wrote: »
    You're having a laugh! What happened.. whipped out a strand of hair, dipped it in something, and fired her? Mefinks not. :D

I don't know the science but taking a hair sample is a test for some drugs.

They can be detected in a hair folicle (sp) much longer after taking them than a through urine sample.
  • ImpingerImpinger Posts: 3,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    misha06 wrote: »
    I don't know the science but taking a hair sample is a test for some drugs.

They can be detected in a hair folicle (sp) much longer after taking them than a through urine sample.

oh I know hair sample for drugs testing exists. Just that it's a more of small clump of hair taken from close to the scalp and then analysed that makes up the hair test. It isn't just one strand analysed "on the spot" like some sort of breathalyser for hair! :D It doesn't even have to be from your head - can be hair from anywhere on your body.

But it's not common practice to do that - and especially not for a job application.

So there's a bit of a hair-scare going on here, imo. :D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member

Why was she taking drugs when she knew she could be randomly tested?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    Impinger wrote: »
    oh I know hair sample for drugs testing exists. Just that it's a more of small clump of hair taken from close to the scalp and then analysed that makes up the hair test. It isn't just one strand analysed "on the spot" like some sort of breathalyser for hair! :D It doesn't even have to be from your head - can be hair from anywhere on your body.

But it's not common practice to do that - and especially not for a job application.

So there's a bit of a hair-scare going on here, imo. :D

If it's in your contract they can do it.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And there you have it.

If you want a job that requires you to pass a drugs test, stop smoking the weed.

There's no moral high ground from me, I couldn't care less whether you smoke weed or not but I can't fathom why you even bothered to ask the question.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    If it's in your contract they can do it.
    Exactly, a lot of jobs do random drug testing on their employees, and it could be urine or hair testing. It's not that unusual these days, especially in high risk jobs.