Options

Gary Barlow- The Taxman Cometh for the Evader.

Comments

• Options
    looby383xlooby383x Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    True though isn't it?
    No.

I don't know any women over 30 who like him ( which includes me).
  • Options
    MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If he's a National Treasure, I say we bury him
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Cosya wrote: »
    technically, it isn't tax fraud it is tax avoidance.

Anyway it shouldn't be the likes or Gary or anyone else that gets persecuted in this. At the end of the day we all try to save tax legally. These schemes until tested in the court are legal. They are not tax evasion, just tax avoidance.

Its the scheme providers that need to be stopped. Then the likes of Gary etc will not have the choice to undertake them. Until they are targeted they will continue to be available

No you're wrong .Maybe you avoid Tax but most of us don't avoid Tax as 85% of us are taxed via PAYE . Its Barlow who tried to avoid Tax , its Barlow who would have benefitted so why shouldn't he get persecuted. You are portraying Barlow as a victim of his accountants .
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Microkorg wrote: »
    If he's a National Treasure, I say we bury him

:D:D:D
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why didn't Jason invest???

This is so funny! I'm sorry - but what else can us little people do when we read about all these celebrity tax avoiders - except have a good laugh!

http://www.holymoly.com/celebrity/news/take-tax-scandal-why-didn%E2%80%99t-jason-orange-invest-we-investigate69353

I giggled particularly at this bit -

But what about Jason Orange? Is he so honest, kind hearted and socially conscientious that he opted to pay the full amount of tax required of his income?

We’d love to think so. But we have another theory.

We think Jason Orange has been on minimum wage ever since he joined the band. We doubt he even earns enough to be eligible for tax. If it weren’t for the backstage rider he’d be raiding the skip out the back of M&S for out-of-date sandwiches.

LOL. Holymoly was often lacking humour, and was just plain mean, but that's actually quite a good one. Poor Jason. :blush:

Actually, Jason always seemed to do his own thing, and was always a bit of a hippy, so I can see him making a point of investing his money into environmental schemes and things that score very high on ethics etc. I can't see his accountant even entertaining the idea of involving him in a dodgy scheme.

It does seem a bit unfair that Gary is getting all of the flack, compared with the others. Yet Gary has always prided himself on being a great organiser, and being the one in charge. Mark and Howard always seemed happy to go along with things, so I'd expect Gary to be on top of his investments, while Mark and Howard just agreed to it without too much thought. That and they don't try to project themselves as great philanthropists. :p

Presumably, there are loads more on the list, but their investments were smaller, and not as high profile.

I wonder how many rich celebs are on the phone to their accountants to review their investments?

I've got to say, I understand that it's fairly easy to go along with a smooth talking accountant selling you a wonder scheme, but as soon as the validity of the scheme was questioned, Gary etc should have got some independent advice, and pre-emptively withdrawn from the scheme and paid the money back.
  • Options
    DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read that Jason Orange put his money in a fairly ordinary account with the Cooperative. A good egg our Jason.
  • Options
    DemizdeeroolzDemizdeeroolz Posts: 3,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    looby383x wrote: »
    No.

I don't know any women over 30 who like him ( which includes me).

One of my female Facebook friends who happens to be gay refers to him as her husband.

I started going off him after the documentary about the Jubilee song he composed.
    After travelling to Jamaica to record Rasta percussionists then going all the way to some remote south sea island for vocals he then drowned it all out with the flaming Military Wives.
  • Options
    kippehkippeh Posts: 6,655
    Forum Member
    I read that Jason Orange put his money in a fairly ordinary account with the Cooperative. A good egg our Jason.

He nearly ran me over whilst on his pushbike in Manchester city centre the other week. He did smile and say sorry however. :D
  • Options
    TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's time that tax evasion was very severely punished. A minimum of a 6 month prison sentence would send a message.

People take these risks because all they have to do is pay it back if caught.
    I understand the difference between evasion/avoidance.

But a person is only avoiding the tax laws up untill the point where a court says otherwise....

In which case... prison for the thief seems reasonable to me.
  • Options
    Blockz99Blockz99 Posts: 5,045
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »
    It's time that tax evasion was very severely punished. A minimum of a 6 month prison sentence would send a message.

But a person is only avoiding the tax laws up untill the point where a court says otherwise....

I agree but if this was applied then the jails would be full of politicians , business leaders and most of the media so it wont happen as the greedy elite tend to look after themselves . A few of these scrounges put into prison for a few months would certainly make the others at the through look up and take note !
  • Options
    katkimkatkim Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    Presumably, there are loads more on the list, but their investments were smaller, and not as high profile.

The Independent says there are about 1000 other investors in the same scheme, including other celebs. Allegedly Colin Jackson and Terry Venables were investors too.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/celebrities-hid-340m-in-icebreaker-tax-avoidance-scheme-used-by-gary-barlow-9367454.html
  • Options
    broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Theres something rotten in the state of barlow
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gabby Logan was part of it as well.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-27484940
  • Options
    Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://uk.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/oh-dear-gary-barlows-star-world-cup-song-101311029.html

Watching this immensely overrated person's downfall is really enjoyable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Luner13 wrote: »
    https://uk.celebrity.yahoo.com/news/oh-dear-gary-barlows-star-world-cup-song-101311029.html

Watching this immensely overrated person's downfall is really enjoyable.

I absolutely loathe the man and am loving every single moment of it! :D
  • Options
    kenny12kenny12 Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thoroughly enjoying seeing the little piglet have yet another fall from grace..

If he's not flopping as a solo artist or ruining his 'housewives likeability' on The X Factor, he's dodging paying his taxes.

Great way to alienate your adoring public, Borelow.. LOL.
  • Options
    10000maniacs10000maniacs Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jon Ross wrote: »
    It's probably the OBE that irks people, yes, but it's also Barlow's higher, even ubiquitous, media profile that is the reason. People eventually get sick of seeing you on everything. Same thing happened to Phil Collins in the '80s.
    Why are Ant and Dec still there? I was sick to the teeth of them 15 years ago.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kenny12 wrote: »
    he's dodging paying his taxes.

All the while when having the cheek to guilt the general public - many of which struggle to afford heat and food for themselves - to give to charity. He sickens me.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Grey Lady wrote: »
    All the while when having the cheek to guilt the general public - many of which struggle to afford heat and food for themselves - to give to charity. He sickens me.

and me>:( he is just sooooooo sanctimonious and don't get me started on that voice of his..
  • Options
    CarlLewisCarlLewis Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    Tassium wrote: »

I thought people did go to prison for tax EVASION.
    Some people here seem to think Barlow should go to prison, even though he hasn't broken the law.

I've got ISAs, should I go to prison?
  • Options
    sheila bligesheila blige Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    I've got ISAs, should I go to prison?

I'll bet you'd already paid tax on the money you put into your ISA via your wages.

Maybe you didn't - in which case - YES!:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and me>:( he is just sooooooo sanctimonious and don't get me started on that voice of his..

I used to think he was alright but it's like ever since the Dimaond Jubilee he has not been able to conceal the smugness that is obviously something he revels in feeling. I think he really is disgusting.
  • Options
    HelenSnowflakeHelenSnowflake Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    To be honest they cheat millions of taxpayers and households every day of the year so it's a bit hypocritical...
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why everyone kicks off who wouldn't do the same I know I would :D