Why am I sleeping so much more lately?

JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi folks,

Have consulted Google about this and not found a great deal other than scary health warnings, and wondered if any good old DSF members had any wisdom.

In the last month I've been sleeping SO much, usually I sleep 6-7.5 hours, maxing at 8, but now I'm going for about 12 hours, sleeping for another 4-5 hours after my usual alarm. It's really erratic and unpredictable.

I have a Sleep app on my phone which I've used since April, and the "Time in Bed" graph which shows how much sleep a night over the months show's a steady increase in this time. Around April/May time the average was 7.5h, by mid-June it had hit 9.5h and it's peaked at 10h average in July.

Looking at the individual data, I didn't go above 9.5h at all from April to mid-June, then from July to the present it's frequently gone to 11 or even 12 hours, one night on 14 hours. Another graph shows my step count per day, and I see that back in April it was on an average of 4000 steps per day, dipped in June to 3400 but recently has increased to 5000-6000 per day. That doesn't seem to correlate with the sleep progressively increasing as it's fluctuated. And I thought more exercise meant you got better sleep, not longer sleep. :confused:

Now I don't have any particular reason for this in my mind. I guess I'm a bit more stressed lately but not noticeably or to a degree that affects my waking life; but the drastic increase in sleep on average is worrisome for me, I feel like I'm wasting a lot of my life asleep and being less productive in a day.

Any one have any advice, or tips on how to be able to get of bed after less sleep? It's really bothering me as I would quite like a regular sleep pattern of between 6-7.5hours a night again. :(

Comments

• jackpotjackpotjackpotjackpot Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Depression and stress - No need to waste time on here with figures and trying to detect issues yourself visit your doctor.
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Depression and stress - No need to waste time on here with figures and trying to detect issues yourself visit your doctor.
    But I'm not depressed and stress is just a normal thing in life, and no worse recently than usual.

I'd rather not go to the doctors and be misdiagnosed with something that could be simple, but I appreciate your response.
  • Rae_RooRae_Roo Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go to the doctors and get a full blood screen done, you could have had a viral infection, be anemic have thyroid isuues, honestly could be a million things, but getting bloods done will look for the most obvious causes.

I had sleep issues for years, could sleep for 16 hours without getting up for a pee, but I was diagnosed with coeliacs, underactive thyroid and anemia... If it's out of the norm, somethings up, if it's physical or psychological, it's far easier to rule out the physical first!
  • niki1969niki1969 Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Rae_Roo wrote: »
    I'd go to the doctors and get a full blood screen done, you could have had a viral infection, be anemic have thyroid isuues, honestly could be a million things, but getting bloods done will look for the most obvious causes.

I had sleep issues for years, could sleep for 16 hours without getting up for a pee, but I was diagnosed with coeliacs, underactive thyroid and anemia... If it's out of the norm, somethings up, if it's physical or psychological, it's far easier to rule out the physical first!

Agree with this post. I was so tired for months on end but a simple blood test showed I was anemic and after taking iron tablets for a few months I am much better.
  • lustyrustylustyrusty Posts: 126
    Forum Member
    I agree with the advice to see a doctor. I was sleeping 12 hours a night and then having a nap in the afternoon - turns out I was a diabetic. Get checked. Good luck x
  • myssmyss Posts: 16,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - could it be just something to do with the weather making you sleepy? Despite it being quite gloomy lately, it's still quite warm and humid plus before then, there has been some top temperatures and lots of sunshine.
    I've not an issue with sleeping but had been feeling more tired than usual - probably as I'm Hypoglycemic or for the reason above as I think I've fixed this by taking some effervescent Vitamin C.

I also agree with going to your doctor.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3
    Forum Member
    Agree with the seeing GP. Also, are you getting enough exercise? If you are sleeping more, then you may be less active - a viscious circle.

Take the advice of those that had the same issues and have now understood what the problem was, hopefully being able to remedy it.

Hope you get sorted soon.