Options

Looking for a media player for my TV.

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, i'm looking for a media player for my TV, something like this.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MDN%C2%AE-HD1080B-Full-HD-Portable-INCLUDED-Black/dp/B00KKWRQTQ/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1408424006&sr=8-8&keywords=media+player

But i need it to have a few features.

1 ) If i have a few episodes of something on a USB stick / SD card i want to play them all in one go instead of going back to some sort of menu to select a different file.

2 ) Some of my video files may have the audio slightly out of sync, i need it to be able to have some sort of feature where i can adjust the audio synchronisation

If anyone knows of any media player with these 2 features can you please tell me where to find it ? I have been looking for a while now and i can't find a media player with both of these features.

Comments

• Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    Have a look at WD TV Live, not 100% sure but audio sync seems to be an option when playing files - you would need to copy SD content onto USB as it does not support this media.

The only other players I know with audio delay are PC based WMP Classic and VLC player, other than that you would be looking at something like an AV Receiver or BD player

WD TV Live supports 'play all' but afaik files need to be in the same folder.

If you are interested in this player there's an informative forum if you require further help in confirming your requirements.

Manual can be found here.

Forum can be found here.
  • Options
    quinnicusquinnicus Posts: 856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I swear by Mede8er. I have the MED1000X3D - best purchase ever.

http://www.mede8er.com/

Also another good site where you can filter your requirements is:
    http://www.iboum.com/net-media-players.php
  • Options
    cp2cp2 Posts: 957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should also consider Bluray players. Many have DLNA support and will play files from usb sticks and drives. And they play discs!
  • Options
    SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I think i may go with WD TV Live. It's a bit pricey at £60+ but i suppose if i want the features i am asking for i will need to pay a bit extra. I don't think i will bother with Mede8ter, it's over £100, and i don't feel like spending that much on a media player.

Another option is Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4. I seen one of the reviewers on Amazon saying you can mess with the lip sync which is great, and it's a bit cheaper than WD TV Live. I have heard people have problems with these products though, they tend to fail after a couple of months.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    Another vote for WD TV Live - I've had one for a couple of years and it has performed brilliantly and has played every file type I've thrown at it, unlike my TV BluRay player and PS3.
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

I think i may go with WD TV Live. It's a bit pricey at £60+ but i suppose if i want the features i am asking for i will need to pay a bit extra. I don't think i will bother with Mede8ter, it's over £100, and i don't feel like spending that much on a media player.

Another option is Sumvision Cyclone Micro 4. I seen one of the reviewers on Amazon saying you can mess with the lip sync which is great, and it's a bit cheaper than WD TV Live. I have heard people have problems with these products though, they tend to fail after a couple of months.

I have a WD TV Live Streaming and it does offer lip-sync adjustment in 100ms increments fast or slow.

Analogue 625-line/525-line out via bespoke cable, or up to 1080p via HDMI.

It plays most stuff, but certain .flv files give it gip, and it is picky about .wmv The common .mkv and .mp4 are fine. Playing DVD images (i.e. DVD rips) is iffy - they work better as an .iso format file than the straight-ripped set of .vob files!

It will play either from DNLA streaming, or by selecting files from exported drives on a PC (or NAS or whatever). The drives can be Windows SMB shares, Mac shares, or NFS shares. It can communicate thru wired Ethernet (1 x 100Mbps port) or wirelessly (n, but no 5GHz, no channel bonding, 1 spatial stream). It has an USB 2 socket for a stick or drive. USB compatibility seems to vary, so check if this is important (I never use it, but I have read such).

It's ability to connect to internet services like Spotify, Netflix etc. is dubious - look elsewhere for that. It just about works with BBC iplayer.
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Another vote for the WDTV Live from me. We have had ours for a few years for all our media. One really useful feature is that it will play video playlists. You can create as many as you want (as long as they are on the same physical drive) and then the WD will play them randomly. We use the windows program Playlist Creator

We have several playlists set up for films and tv shows like The Simpsons. It is a nice feature to have and when you are a little stuck for something to watch, choose a playlist and the WD gives you a random film or tv episode. It will keep going through the playlist until it reaches the end with no user intervention required. You can always skip what it chooses just by pressing the next track button on the remote.