Have you done the Ice Bucket Challenge?

Comments

• barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Most certainly not. It's all a bit narcissistic in my opinion. If you want to donate to charity, then by all means do so, but do not use peer pressure to coerce others into it.
    Never mind all the wasted water...

Very true if you want to then go ahead but don't try and force overs to.
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    No one into family got peer pressured. They were asked if they could be nominated first. They didn't have to accept.

That's fine then. Most the people on my news feed have been nominationed when they didn't want to be.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's fine then. Most the people on my news feed have been nominationed when they didn't want to be.

They can refuse. It's not as if they are going to be executed.

Many people who spend time on FB need other exercise than lifting their iPhone.
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    They can refuse. It's not as if they are going to be executed.

Many people who spend time on FB need other exercise than lifting their iPhone.

I think that really they shouldn't do it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    It can't be argued that it isnt a good idea.

People who are against something that raises this much money need to think about where that negativity is really coming from
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think that really they shouldn't do it.

No one's forcing them.

This isn't North Korea.
  • hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Silly fad that I got away with not doing.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope all the people having a go at the people doing this, calling them idiots, sheep and the like, feel suitably superior. You want to complain about people raising awareness and a huge amount of money for a charity that otherwise doesn't get much mainstream exposure then that's your prerogative, as long as you accept that everyone else is going to see you as petty and mean-spirited.

And yes, I'm sure some people are doing the challenge without donating, but it's the big picture that's important here and the donation figures speak for themselves.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope all the people having a go at the people doing this, calling them idiots, sheep and the like, feel suitably superior. You want to complain about people raising awareness and a huge amount of money for a charity that otherwise doesn't get much mainstream exposure then that's your prerogative, as long as you accept that everyone else is going to see you as petty and mean-spirited.

And yes, I'm sure some people are doing the challenge without donating, but it's the big picture that's important here and the donation figures speak for themselves.

There is a certain irony in any Facebook users (but anti this) accusing others of being sheep.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Is there a rule that says you have to do it?

I think I would probably do it if I was nominated. But to answer your question, no.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can someone answer a quick question for me - do the MND charities being supported advocate/support the use of animals in medical research?

While that wouldn't necessarily stop me donating as I regard the use of animals in medical research a necessary evil that I am willing to support in non-direct ways such as taxation or the purchase of pharmaceuticals, I currently donate money to a charity that helps monkeys that have been used in medical research and I think directly supporting both would make me bit of a hypocrite.

I won't donate to McMillian as I already support a local hospice and I think it is pretty shady to hi-jack the MND campaign.

If I do donate, I will not however be dousing myself in ice cold water and certainly not filming it & inflicting the spectacle on my Facebook friends. Nor would I nominate anyone else and my donation would not be dependent on being nominated myself, only on the charity meeting my personal moral criteria - including not using 'Chuggers' and having a low administration overhead.

So the campaign has done some good in that I probably would never have considered a MND charity before as I'm sure others wouldn't and the Charity has got a big boost. As did the Steven Sutton charity (Teenage Cancer?) and breast cancer research with the no make up selfies.

Actually....what if you were to do the Ice Bucket Challenge with a thumbs up & no make-up - you would be raising awareness for all three!!

Without the use of intrusive Chuggers and with no administrative costs other than to handle the donations coming in. Win-Win :D

Except for the monkeys :(
  • jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    Some people in some countries would be glad of the clean water that's being wasted. Just a thought that sprang to mind.

I did mine in the sea, no water wasted.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not a challenge I'm up for, but a friend of mine posted a video of her doing it...with a thimble. As she said, nobody specified the size of the bucket.

I just wish that a dementia charity would be the focus of such an successful fundraising campaign. My mother in law has advanced dementia (weeks to live now) and was fastracked (their actual words) from the ward in a local NHS hospital to a care home as she was "bed blocking" (again, their words). Yep, why should she take a bed in an NHS system that she worked full time to pay into, as did her husband. The attitude to the elderly with or without dementia/Alzheimers is horrendous, just horrendous.

Memory Walks coming up all over the country: http://www.memorywalk.org.uk/?gclid=COjBvLSlscACFZMRtAodUh4ASw
  • tenofspadestenofspades Posts: 12,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's cool that it's viral and everyone is doing it, but it also is a bit lame watching someone put water over them. It's not actually all that entertaining seeing a celebrity put water on themselves! I haven't done it though. #killjoy.
  • WutheringWuthering Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TrebleKing wrote: »
    What miserable, po faced, gurning bastards, a lot of you are on here. Folk are donating to charity and having a bit of fun doing it. Why is that annoying you so much? You ought to get a life instead of sitting at a keyboard battering out moan after moan like a load of gormless fishwives at the wash house.

Now can anyone honestly say there is not an element of bullying to these memes?

Although if TrebleKing is remotely serious in his post I do have to chuckle. To see someone get in such an almighty mood just because a few strangers on the internet have an opposing opinion to them is bloody hilarious...in a laugh or cry sort of way.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can't be argued that it isnt a good idea.

The thought police have spoken.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of you desperately need to take a long look at yourselves. The immaturity and abuse you are spewing out isn't becoming.
  • steeleuro_wolfsteeleuro_wolf Posts: 13,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wuthering wrote: »
    Now can anyone honestly say there is not an element of bullying to these memes?

Although if TrebleKing is remotely serious in his post I do have to chuckle. To see someone get in such an almighty mood just because a few strangers on the internet have an opposing opinion to them is bloody hilarious...in a laugh or cry sort of way.

For god's sake, stop being such a martyr. We're talking about a viral campaign that has helped to raise about £45 million - and counting - for a horrific disease which gets hardly any mainstream attention. I really don't understand what there is to condemn here.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For god's sake, stop being such a martyr. We're talking about a viral campaign that has helped to raise about £45 million - and counting - for a horrific disease which gets hardly any mainstream attention. I really don't understand what there is to condemn here.
    Would you ever do something like the ice bucket challenge for other causes such as researching a cure for HIV?
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i can't stand it. Seeing my friends do it is cringeworthy!! bunch of sheep!!
  • made_in_londonmade_in_london Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    I get the impression from my pesky annoying Facebook stories people are just doing the challenge without any mention of donating money to charity!

I really think could be the thing to make me deactivate :D I don't really use FB anyways.
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How low. A mother on my FB Page has just posted a video of her two year old son having ice being poured over his head.

This needs to stop now.
  • Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Wuthering wrote: »
    I've not seen a single person slagging off the money rasied - on that point I think we all agree. :)

I was responding to those moaning about attention seeking, comments stating there's no need to chuck water over yourself, just donate quietly and references to unseen folk donating all the time. That's fab but doesn't raise awareness. We need publicity not just funds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason100 wrote: »
    How low. A mother on my FB Page has just posted a video of her two year old son having ice being poured over his head.

This needs to stop now.

It's ice water . Not sulphuric acid
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the lack of thought. Patrick Stuart and even Charlie sheen had the right idea. Donate or get iced.

The people who don't mention charity and do the ice challenge will be the same ones who walk barefoot for a day to raise awareness for world vision and building wells in Africa in a few weeks.

It maybe a good cause but most people are doing it for the band wagon. Wanna do something for charity...be original.

(And my awareness is raised, it was raised weeks ago and I dontated. - MIND were doing well with raising awareness about mental health after robin Williams sad death before this craze took hold so it's domination isn't all good either)

Rant over.