Anyone else hate the vine/viral videos/YouTube blog culture?

2»

Comments

• tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The AdBlock developers should receive a gold medal because of that.
    YouTube users are actually introducing advertising and sponsorship within the actual video which adblock cannot touch. It also means those watching on TV's with Smart TV's and Chromecast also see the ad as well. Four examples I have seen recently, a plug for an audiobook company in the first minute of a vlog, a second one where an advertisement for a video editor is in the second minute of a three minute video, a third one had an advertisement for an electronics website ten minutes into a fifteen minute video and a fourth video was a roughly 30 minute product placement story for a soft drink. You could skip these advertisements but who is likely to bother and just let the video play through?

And of course, Patreon and Subbable are also unaffected by adblocking as well.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YouTube users are actually introducing advertising and sponsorship within the actual video which adblock cannot touch. It also means those watching on TV's with Smart TV's and Chromecast also see the ad as well. Four examples I have seen recently, a plug for a audiobook company in the first minute of a vlog, a second one where an advertisement for a video editor is in the second minute of a three minute video, a third one had an advertisement for an electronics website ten minutes into a fifteen minute video and a fourth video was a roughly 30 minute product placement story for a soft drink. You could skip these advertisements but who is likely to bother and just let the video play through?

And of course, Patreon and Subbable are also unaffected by adblocking as well.
    What depresses me as well is how what used to be two of my favourite Youtube channels, have now both deteriorated in terms of the content that they upload and that they have only just recently become Youtube partners and therefore use in video ads. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 312
    Forum Member
    Completely agree with the Opening post.

I'm terms of intellect, there is a meagreness of such material. I can only blame the dimwitted youths that use these social networking sites. There are immoderate amount of GIFS, vines, short clips, all too much for my liking. What makes this worse? Probably the fact that the same vines are recycled and used over and over again.

Having said that, it really does depend on why you create an account on the Social Networking sites; some create it to keep in contact with others, some to receive information, participate in discussion, others for trolling etc, all for personal opinion and avail. These vine may not be solely for attention and "likes", but they are irksome and boring by all means.

Glad to say I deleted my Fb after all the atrocity and horrendous nonsense that filled my newsfeed, and soon enough, I'll deactivate my Twitter too as it is heading in the same direction, because this subsidiary vine nonsense is uninformative, and is not the reason I created a Twitter account., and nowadays, that's all I see circulating.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I only use Facebook to be part of a certain hobby group, and even then, it is very annoying at times with all the know-it-alls and patronising morons. If you aren't part of the group inner circle, they treat you like scum.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I used to date a Youtube 'personality/blogger'. God he was egotistic - the less said the better lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bbclassics wrote: »
    I used to date a Youtube 'personality/blogger'. God he was egotistic - the less said the better lol.

Was he the sort of person who was slim with a spotty face and untidy hair by any chance?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    I once tried flagging the Charlie one as infringing, but was unsuccessful....... :(

How do you mean?
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    Was he the sort of person who was slim with a spotty face and untidy hair by any chance?

He didn't have a spotty face but he was slim with messy hair.
    Like most of them!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The ones that go viral are the unfunniest, hated Charlie bit my finger and that bloody Fenton the dog one.

I could never understand why that video took off as much as it did. You'd think something great happened with the amount of views it got. A perfect case of people just jumping on the bandwagon probably.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The value of privacy is not as much of a prized commodity for most who are now convinced to contribute to create a degree of minor fame on the internet for very little real reward. I think it's in our nature to be competitive and braggadocios but there is now an entire generation who have grown up with the internet and the idea social media is an essential part of modern life, as a means to establish their worth. I have tried to keep up with it to a degree but the truth is I don't want to have to vlog/blog/tweet/tumbl/update my status constantly to keep up/compete with people or seem "socially relevant". I actually would rather just go about my day and if something nice happens or I see something interesting, I might take a photo or mention it but I don't get the mentality of "I need to tweet this, this is so going on my timeline and blog!" It just seems like commodifying yourself for no actual practical benefit aside from "likes" and reblogs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    Vines are funny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you mean?

By making a copyright complaint against it.
  • Harper_MilneHarper_Milne Posts: 2,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    well i love watching youtube vloggers. it's replaced tv for me.
  • Colonel_JasperColonel_Jasper Posts: 1,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm bloody sick of seeing this on Facebook!

My timeline is literally filled with many vines such as "I'm in ME MUM'S CAR BROOM BROOM!" Or "What's nine plus ten?" 21?!"

Ugh. I didn't mind seeing them when they weren't overused or not constantly popping up like they do now. They were some genuinely funny vines that were entertaining but now because of the overplaying, it just comes across as more annoying and repetitive.

I'll laugh the first time but I'll go insane when I see this appearing more than 30 times!
  • QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't watch any videos from any of these YouTube/Vine "stars". I can't stand people nowadays who put everything about themselves and their mundane lives online for everybody to see and read. It reeks of narcissism. I used to check out a few YouTube channels that focused specifically on funny pranks and scares, but I stopped when the people started uploading videos about themselves and their day-to-day business instead of pranks and scares. I want to watch a few funny videos not someone driving to a dentist appointment or to the local supermarket. But what do they care? They're making money. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I really wish there was a way to edit my YouTube settings so none of these annoying YouTube channels pop up asking me to view them and subscribe to them.

Another thing that annoys me is when I look up a specific video on YouTube (a music performance, a prank, etc.), but when I click on it, it's some random person talking about the video instead of the actual video that I'm looking to watch. It's especially annoying when the uploader has disguised that it's a video of them talking by wording the title in a specific way or using a thumbnail of what I'm wanting to watch instead of them sat in front of the camera. I've flagged a few of these in the past because it's a cheap tactic to get more views for their crap videos.

We live in a blog obsessed culture. There was a guy on a music forum that I sometimes visit who was trying to get people to view his personal blog about his experiences using dating sites. Dude, why the hell do I care? Everything has to be shared nowadays, especially on Facebook where people would rather write about something than enjoy it.