Brian Cox - overexposed?

Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I've noticed he's been on TV and in the papers a lot more during the latter half of 2011 and into early 2012. The BBC and the Mail in particular seem really obsessed with the guy. I used to think he was quite cool but I get a feeling that he's starting to buy into the hype; imho, he's starting to come across as being a bit too pleased with himself.

I think it's great that he's making science appealing for people who otherwise wouldn't give a damn, but I'm finding the media love-in rather sickly at this point.

Comments

• BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    maybe you need more Kerry Katona?
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    I've noticed he's been on TV and in the papers a lot more during the latter half of 2011 and into early 2012. The BBC and the Mail in particular seem really obsessed with the guy. I used to think he was quite cool but I get a feeling that he's starting to buy into the hype; imho, he's starting to come across as being a bit too pleased with himself.

I think it's great that he's making science appealing for people who otherwise wouldn't give a damn, but I'm finding the media love-in rather sickly at this point.

I don't think he's on my telly enough! :D
  • Laura PLaura P Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why? Because if you dislike one celebrity who happens to be cleverer than the rest of them, it means you automatically prefer dumb, useless morons instead? :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think he's on my telly enough! :D

Don't say that! You'll give the broadcasters ideas. :sleep: :p
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's probably getting too much exposure because of his boyish looks. If he was a balding middle aged guy wearing glasses, we'd never see him on TV, but it seems that television executives are mesmerised by the idea of a scientist who looks like a member of a boyband.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    He's probably getting too much exposure because of his boyish looks. If he was a balding middle aged guy wearing glasses, we'd never see him on TV, but it seems that television executives are mesmerised by the idea of a scientist who looks like a member of a boyband.

Good point. Media darlings are almost always clean cut, photogenic people. And I agree that his past as a pop star helps as well - it's always mentioned in anything I read about him.
  • horwichallstarshorwichallstars Posts: 16,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like PBC, and would happily watch anything he was on - other than QI and a A Night with the stars, I can't think of anything else he was on recently (waits to be corrected - lol )

I think Stargazing live is coming up, so he'll be about then.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like PBC, and would happily watch anything he was on - other than QI and a A Night with the stars, I can't think of anything else he was on recently (waits to be corrected - lol )

I think Stargazing live is coming up, so he'll be about then.

I feel like he hasn't had a day off for since 2011. But the people who irritate me always seem to be everywhere compared to the ones I actually like.
  • WAKEYLASSWAKEYLASS Posts: 6,085
    Forum Member
    I could watch Brian all day!! :o

There's just something about him!
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laura P wrote: »
    Why? Because if you dislike one celebrity who happens to be cleverer than the rest of them, it means you automatically prefer dumb, useless morons instead? :rolleyes:

No, but of all the people to want rid of....there are far worse lol
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now imagine Brian's Iceland ads. They'd be brilliant.
  • TissyTissy Posts: 45,747
    Forum Member
    WAKEYLASS wrote: »

Totally agree :)

Stargazing Live starts Monday night for three nights - can`t wait !!
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's on Radio 4's Infinite Monkey Cage too. Mind you, that is a very good series. I still laugh at the joke he did about where to send complaints about the show.

www.bbc.co.uk/dev/null :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nooooo. My rant thread has become an Appreciation one. Argh!

*runs*
  • wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    multisync wrote: »
    Northern whiney voice that everybody in the whole world hates, bad hair and silly teeth and to make it worse he has a smarmy face that needs a good slap..

Childish.

Brian worked for his success and deserves it imo.

Give me an educated, enthusiastic man on TV over Kirk from flaming TOWIE or Big Brother's Little Brother garbage anyday.
  • multisyncmultisync Posts: 405
    Forum Member
    wilehelmas wrote: »
    Childish.

Brian worked for his success and deserves it imo.

Give me an educated, enthusiastic man on TV over Kirk from flaming TOWIE or Big Brother's Little Brother garbage anyday.

I'm surpised you come here for grown up reasoned debate...
  • humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I do not think he's exposed enough.
    More please!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Things can only get better
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP should have qualified her title with Professor Brian Cox. I thought what a cheek criticising one of our finest actors.:p
  • dalemandaleman Posts: 226,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the way he explains things would make Interesting tv whatever he was talking about.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brian Cox is under exposed compared to Lily Allen, Beyoncé, Rihanna or that bloody Adele.

Now THEY are over exposed!
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He needs to quit the surgery before he becomes a male Wildenstein;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    WAKEYLASS wrote: »

Yea he looks like a prudish elderly lady.
  • Jen-BJen-B Posts: 3,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, he isn't exposed enough in my opinion. I don't care if he's "too boyband" or whatever.

We seemingly have a large proportion of TV that revolves around people famous for being famous (TOWIE, Geordie Shore, Desperate Scousewives...I could go on), or trying to get famous, or has-beens trying to re-gain their fame. Here we have someone who, because of his looks, or his enthusiasm, or whatever, encourages people to think about important stuff. We should be encouraging this, not tearing him down.
  • LamaestraLamaestra Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well said, Jen.