Downgrade within 18 months

sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
Forum Member
✭✭
When you sign up for VM, is it like Sky, as in as long as you keep the basic service, you can downgrade to the lowest portion of that service within the contract period.

IE - if you signed up for the VIP Collection, could you downgrade the broadband to say 30MB and remove the Sports channels within the first 18 months, as long as you keep the TV package and the Broadband package (as well as the Telephone package).

Obviously any discount recieved for that collection would be lost, just trying to find out if it is possible.

Comments

• gothergother Posts: 14,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not sure about the VIP packages but from what i remember all other packages are for a 30 day period minumun so you should be able to downgrade after 30 days if you wish.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    Yes, that should be fine. Call the team that deals with changes. If you get no joy with them then phone retentions and moan and they should be very helpful. :rolleyes:
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that should be fine. Call the team that deals with changes. If you get no joy with them then phone retentions and moan and they should be very helpful. :rolleyes:

I was told that you could add and remove extras (like Sky Sports), but you have to keep pack you are on (say TV XL) for 18 months, if you wanted to downgrade that to say TV M+ you would incur the standard penalty charge as if you were cancelling it.
  • Philip NixonPhilip Nixon Posts: 1,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can downgrade to M+ which is the minimum but you may not save what you think you might, the way the discounts work with collections you could pay more.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can downgrade to M+ which is the minimum but you may not save what you think you might, the way the discounts work with collections you could pay more.

According to VM, you cannot downgrade to M+ or L or whatever is lower, once you are on TVXL, you have to stay on it for 18 months, and you pay a cancellation fee of, I think, £15 per month left on your contract,mis you want to downgrade to a lower level.

That's what they told me anyway, when I tried.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What you have been told is correct. You must keep each service at the starting level for the minimum contract period.

Think of it from a business point of view. Is it fair for you to get the six months half price benefit of higher priced services then reward Virgin Media with much lower revenue for the rest of the contract period?
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guys that is totally wrong.

You can downgrade to whatever package you like within a particular service (TV,phone or broadband).

You will only incur charges if you CEASE the service. However, as has already been stated, dropping a tier (XL to M+) on TV for example might not save you much, if anything.

You must keep premium channels for a minimum of a month but after that initial period it can be removed immediately. Any charges already billed will be refunded.

However, if you downgrade a service then upgrade it at a later date it MAY tie you in to another minimum term. It is also worth noting that just because you signed up for a collection doesn't mean you can't alter the contents of tiers but you will lose any discounts pertaining to that collection.

And for clarification - I have done all the above instances within my first 7 months of being a customer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sps1013 wrote: »
    Guys that is totally wrong.

You can downgrade to whatever package you like within a particular service (TV,phone or broadband).

You will only incur charges if you CEASE the service. However, as has already been stated, dropping a tier (XL to M+) on TV for example might not save you much, if anything.

You must keep premium channels for a minimum of a month but after that initial period it can be removed immediately. Any charges already billed will be refunded.

However, if you downgrade a service then upgrade it at a later date it MAY tie you in to another minimum term. It is also worth noting that just because you signed up for a collection doesn't mean you can't alter the contents of tiers but you will lose any discounts pertaining to that collection.

And for clarification - I have done all the above instances within my first 7 months of being a customer.

I phoned and asked them, they said it was not possible, so either it has changed, or their CS don't know.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    According to VM, you cannot downgrade to M+ or L or whatever is lower, once you are on TVXL, you have to stay on it for 18 months, and you pay a cancellation fee of, I think, £15 per month left on your contract,mis you want to downgrade to a lower level.

That's what they told me anyway, when I tried.

I been with VM for 4 months i'm in a 18 month contract and Friday i was able to downgrade from XL to M+ without any problems or penalties.
    Also my 6 month half price offer has not been affected.
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    I been with VM for 4 months i'm in a 18 month contract and Friday i was able to downgrade from XL to M+ without any problems or penalties.
    Also my 6 month half price offer has not been affected.

You need to change you services profile on this forum then as it neither mention TV XL nor TV M+.
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I phoned and asked them, they said it was not possible, so either it has changed, or their CS don't know.

If you were speaking to the overseas call centre then they will know jack s***.

Ring 150 and follow the options of your thinking of leaving us and you will get a UK based agent.

As long as you are sure you are only DOWNGRADING a service tier ( XL to m+) for example and not cancelling a service then there will be no penalty charge.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    You need to change you services profile on this forum then as it neither mention TV XL nor TV M+.

Cheers for the reminder :) will do that now.