Options

WHich other countries have you lived in and how was/is it?

wantoosoonwantoosoon Posts: 1,073
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As per the thread title really. Have you ever lived in a country other than the UK, and what were the pros and cons?

For my part, I used to live in Hong Kong. I loved the food, the weather and the low taxes, but all too often felt like an ant scurrying around a crowded nest. A noisy, polluted nest...

Now I wish I hadn't left! What are your experiences?

Comments

• Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany - boring, but very organised, clean, convenient

Russia - plain awful, chaos, everything upside down

Israel - beautiful, warm, friendliest people I've ever encountered
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've lived in Australia and absolutely loved the lifestyle, the beaches, any sport you cared to take up there on demand. I loved the patriotism and the laid-back attitude.

I also lived in the USA, which, for the most part I love. However, I lived for 5 years in very rural Oklahoma and I wouldn't recommend that to anyone!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal, the Algarve. Loved it. Deprived in some areas but compared to the UK bliss
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spain too. Love Spain but from a 'living there' perspective, I prefer Portugal
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    Northern Italy - rough, poor, scarey and not nice.
    France - loved the weather, people, slow pace of life
    USA - ADORED every single bit of it, weather, tv, food, people, work.....
    UK - ewwwwwww (!)
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portugal, the Algarve. Loved it. Deprived in some areas but compared to the UK bliss
    Love to retire there eventually. Friend has has 4 bed villa on the Algarve with large rooms, all modern amenities, broadband and pool. If I could find a decent job there then I would be over like a shot.

I've worked in the USA but would hate to make it my permanent home. Some areas of Italy and France are great but as soon as you get out of the main cities the rural areas are sleepy backwaters. Spain is like a down market Portugal.
  • Options
    mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    N Ireland
    Germany
    Gibraltar
    Hong Kong

Loved every place but HK was my absolute favourite.
  • Options
    NirvanaGirlNirvanaGirl Posts: 2,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany for me too. I loved it there, North Germany has defined seasons, you know when it's winter but equally you know when it';s summer too! It is as someone else said, very clean too
  • Options
    swehsweh Posts: 13,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trinidad & Tobago
    It's my hooommmeee! <3 I was born there and my parents live there. A lot of people would be surprised at how different the little island of Trinidad is compared to the rest of the Caribbean. We aren't all "yeaaaah rum, reggae and coconut water!" - that's more of Tobago's thing.
    I think the most adequate expression to sum up life there is that it's a mini-wannabe-middle-eastern place. Trinidad stuck oil after independence so we aren't as broke as most countries in the West Indies. However, the mannerisms of our people are reminiscent of the "nouveau riche" undercurrent you see with Arab nations. Am I being stereotypical and/or racist and/or xenophobic? Perhaps - but I know I'm right. Most people in Trinidad have quite a few cars, gasoline is subsidised, houses are large, the "educated" folks make up the "upper classes" and run the government, blah blah blah.
    All that being said, it is my home and honestly, I completely love it there. Our population is around 1.2 million people so it's a really small society. Everyone knows everyone and the downside to that is everyone knows everyone else's business. Whatever though, it's fine. There is a very strong community feel... whenever kids aren't being kidnapped.

Canada
    I spent most of my school life in Canada. It's the same as now, I go to University in London but I go home to Trinidad during the holidays. Back then, I went to school in Toronto but I would go home in the holidays. On the other hand, because I spent so much of my younger life in Canada, I see that as my second home as well. I loved there too. Most of my family live in North America and I find it quite easy to navigate to make friends on that side of the atlantic. I'm always in Toronto, and it is my other home. People are so friendly there and if you were to hear my accent, I have a very strong Canadian one.

Sooo yeah, those are my two countries. I would recommend them to anyone! Well okay, I'd recommend Canada not Trinidad. There's quite a bit of violence in Trinidad, go Canada instead.
  • Options
    spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Grew up in Germany absolutely loved it as other people have said very clean and tidy, when we came back to the UK it was quite a culture shock
  • Options
    BastardBeaverBastardBeaver Posts: 11,903
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    British Army Brat here, grew up in Munster,Germany. From what I remember about it, I loved it. We were always having proper snow storms during the winters :D
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have never lived outside of the UK but moving to the USA for three years ( or more) from July - cant wait!
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hong Kong - too young to remember clearly. I admit I didn't realise it was Hong Kong until I was around eleven. I thought we lived elsewhere because there was a sandy beach near our home. To be honest, I still can't quite associate a sandy beach with Hong Kong. :o

Japan - hated every moment each time. My dislike is more to do with the fact I (twice!) moved to live there under duress.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Turkey - Loved the weather, very hot but as we lived on the coast a nice breeze made the heat bearable in the summer. I didn't like the summer months as much as the winter as we lived in a tourist area. It could get loud and very in your face. One problem I found was as you got to know the ex-pats living there, the more you wanted to leave as they were all miserable backstabber's with nothing better to do than drink. Other than that I would go back and live there tomorrow.

Greece - Very pleasant atmosphere. Greeks are more laid back than the Turks and will give you adequate space and won't harass you as much. Beautiful scenery everywhere you went, at times it felt like your own private island in the winter months as the place was less populated. The food is some of the best I've experienced and that led to a very noticeable weight gain. A problem for when you realise the summer months are looming.:D
  • Options
    Jane Doh!Jane Doh! Posts: 43,307
    Forum Member
    Germany for me too. I loved it there, North Germany has defined seasons, you know when it's winter but equally you know when it';s summer too! It is as someone else said, very clean too
    spookyLX wrote: »
    Grew up in Germany absolutely loved it as other people have said very clean and tidy, when we came back to the UK it was quite a culture shock
    British Army Brat here, grew up in Munster,Germany. From what I remember about it, I loved it. We were always having proper snow storms during the winters :D
    Germany was brilliant, I was brought up there. Wonderful place, wonderful people.

RAF brat, we were based at Wildenrath.
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

I lived in germany too. loved it,
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in germany too. loved it,

My aunt and uncle lived for a long time in Germany and loved it.

Very much a general theme here!!
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    I lived in Montenegro in a coastal town. It was ok, but the town was very unorganized.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davor wrote: »
    I lived in Montenegro in a coastal town. It was ok, but the town was very unorganized.

And Germany?
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    UK - ewwwwwww (!)

The grass is always greener on the other side.

Amazing the amount of folk who say everywhere else is great, the UK is beyond appalling, yet choose to live here.:confused:
  • Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy & America, and I loved both!

The food in Italy was out of this world. I just wish that I had lived there as an adult so I could appreciate it and remember it more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jol44 wrote: »
    The grass is always greener on the other side.

Amazing the amount of folk who say everywhere else is great, the UK is beyond appalling, yet choose to live here.:confused:

The UK is filthy when you compare it to some other countries but you cannot change your sense of belonging!
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    My aunt and uncle lived for a long time in Germany and loved it.

Very much a general theme here!!

I also lived in Cumbria for a while and adored it too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The UK is filthy when you compare it to some other countries but you cannot change your sense of belonging!

Only the cities and big towns are filthy in fairness. I can't think of anywhere filthy in my home county, its all lush :D

Actually... Boscombe is scuzzy :mad:

Ps. Love your username.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Only the cities and big towns are filthy in fairness. I can't think of anywhere filthy in my home county, its all lush :D

Actually... Boscombe is scuzzy :mad:

Ps. Love your username.

Why thanks :)

Most UK cities and towns are shameful. Litter everywhere and bins out in the street!