My life is being made hell by local dogs

starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
Forum Member
First thing in the morning

bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

early afternoon

bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark

late evening

If people want to have a religion thats fine by me, I respect it, just don't ram it down our throats. On the same note, if you want to keep semi ferral yappy mutts in a residential area, there is anti bark collars, and training available so that you aren't causing noise pollution. Whenever I go into my garden to relax, they start barking, on nightshift. The slightest thing sets them off, doorbells, cats, me walking outside to hang a washing out on the other side of the fence, other dogs barking nearby.

There are about 5 yappy terriors next door. On the other side there is a spaniel type dog thats mostly indoors but the owner lets it out wothout a lead and if it spots a cat or another person nearby it goes running after it barking while the owner stands yelling at it (this can be from 7 in the morning to 11.30 at night) there is also a bigger dog about 3 streets away and when it starts you can hear it loudly, and it sometimes sets of the yappy mutts next door.

I'm not sure what to do. I'd hate to cause bad relations in the Neighbourhood. Its getting made worse now with the school holidays, because parents cannot bring their kids up properly so they are let out to play and feel the need to scream, squeal and shout, and again, that sets the dogs off aswell.

When did people lose all sense of disciple and respect?

Comments

• molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You had my sympathy until you claimed they bark all day and suggested anti bark collars. Having had a note shoved through my door and complaints sent to the council about my two I now have a little doubt about the barking claims. We had equipment set up by the council to record my dogs apparently barking for 2-3 hours at a time all it recorded was 4 yaps when I fed them in the morning, 3 yaps in the afternoon when they had lunch and manic 2 1/2 minutes when m husband came home from work. As the dog warden said hardly a nuisance and really some people need to learn to live alongside others and not waste council time.
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    You had my sympathy until you claimed they bark all day and suggested anti bark collars. Having had a note shoved through my door and complaints sent to the council about my two I now have a little doubt about the barking claims. We had equipment set up by the council to record my dogs apparently barking for 2-3 hours at a time all it recorded was 4 yaps when I fed them in the morning, 3 yaps in the afternoon when they had lunch and manic 2 1/2 minutes when m husband came home from work. As the dog warden said hardly a nuisance and really some people need to learn to live alongside others and not waste council time.

Is it possible you made sure they were quiet because you knew you were being recorded? Or was it done in secret? I have been thinking about setting up hidden cameras so I can gather evidence.

Could I record audio in my own garden?
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get a job?
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    Get a job?

I have one! It involves shift work and I'm also growing my own business which I hope one day will get me out of working class streets
  • welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

We had a similar issue with one of our neighbours - turned out it wasn't our dogs at all
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    welwynrose wrote: »
    We had a similar issue with one of our neighbours - turned out it wasn't our dogs at all

People hear a dog and assume it is the one closest to them, But barking can travel a surprisingly long way in the right circumstances
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it possible you made sure they were quiet because you knew you were being recorded? Or was it done in secret? I have been thinking about setting up hidden cameras so I can gather evidence.

Could I record audio in my own garden?

They don't tell you when they set it up and as several of our neighbours had done diaries which completely contradicted the complaints it would have been impossible for us to keep them quiet for a month.

BTW recording has to be done where you claim you here them so indoors I would assume.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

"My dogs were wrongly accused, therefore no accusation of dog barking disturbance can be true".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shrike wrote: »
    "My dogs were wrongly accused, therefore no accusation of dog barking disturbance can be true".

Not quite what I was saying but if that is what you wish to believe ......
  • AftershowAftershow Posts: 10,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not quite what I was saying but if that is what you wish to believe ......

That is rather how it came across.

I can say from experience that there certainly are some absolute tossers who leave their dogs out in the garden all day (and night), barking and whining.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First thing in the morning

early afternoon

late evening

If people want to have a religion thats fine by me, I respect it, just don't ram it down our throats. On the same note, if you want to keep semi ferral yappy mutts in a residential area, there is anti bark collars, and training available so that you aren't causing noise pollution. Whenever I go into my garden to relax, they start barking, on nightshift. The slightest thing sets them off, doorbells, cats, me walking outside to hang a washing out on the other side of the fence, other dogs barking nearby.

There are about 5 yappy terriors next door. On the other side there is a spaniel type dog thats mostly indoors but the owner lets it out wothout a lead and if it spots a cat or another person nearby it goes running after it barking while the owner stands yelling at it (this can be from 7 in the morning to 11.30 at night) there is also a bigger dog about 3 streets away and when it starts you can hear it loudly, and it sometimes sets of the yappy mutts next door.

I'm not sure what to do. I'd hate to cause bad relations in the Neighbourhood. Its getting made worse now with the school holidays, because parents cannot bring their kids up properly so they are let out to play and feel the need to scream, squeal and shout, and again, that sets the dogs off aswell.

When did people lose all sense of disciple and respect?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uywIYQEHZLs
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    That is rather how it came across.

I can say from experience that there certainly are some absolute tossers who leave their dogs out in the garden all day (and night), barking and whining.

Agree with this. Don't see why people are doubting the OP? :confused: They might believe that their own dogs are blameless, but I grew up next door to the noisiest Yorkshire Terrier ever. Left outside in the garden (as it often was), it would bark constantly; and as it's owners were too elderly and frail to take it for walks, it only ever spent time in the back garden.

Mum complained to them that I was struggling to concentrate on revising for my GCSEs because of its constant yapping. They said there was nothing they could do. The problem only ended when its owners died and the dog vanished.

Terriers are vocal dogs, a pack of them must be super irritating.
  • CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people who lived next door but one to us had a collie which barked whenever it saw anyone in any garden near it. This meant that during the summer, the dog, which spent it's days in the garden, barked pretty much the whole time, accompanied from time to time by someone in the house shouting 'Shut up, Blue!'. It quite spoilt living there, and I don't suppose it was much fun for the dog either. Some people should never have pets.
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    An ex neighbour of mine had two Springer spaniels that spent the majority of their time in the garden. They barked almost constantly. My o/h, who works nights couldn't sleep in the day without earplugs. When I attempted to have a friendly word with the neighbours all I got was abuse and I think they wound up the dogs to bark even more. Thankfully they moved. It was such a relief! My new neighbours have a lovely labrador and they are very responsible. It barks occasionally which doesn't bother me at all.
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've never understood why some dog owners allow their dogs to continue barking.

It is like, after the first min or two of barking you tell them to shut the hell up.

Why does it never bother the owners, or even some of the other neighbours?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How about one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BarkStopper%C2%AE-Ultrasonic-audible-deterrent-outdoor/dp/B005ELAXOS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Mixed reviews, but looks like it might be worth a try.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eluf38 wrote: »
    Agree with this. Don't see why people are doubting the OP? :confused: They might believe that their own dogs are blameless, but I grew up next door to the noisiest Yorkshire Terrier ever. Left outside in the garden (as it often was), it would bark constantly; and as it's owners were too elderly and frail to take it for walks, it only ever spent time in the back garden.

Mum complained to them that I was struggling to concentrate on revising for my GCSEs because of its constant yapping. They said there was nothing they could do. The problem only ended when its owners died and the dog vanished.

Terriers are vocal dogs, a pack of them must be super irritating.

Mainly because I have never met a dog that could bark all day everyday, they get tired and sleep at various points.
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mainly because I have never met a dog that could bark all day everyday, they get tired and sleep at various points.

But the OP is dealing with a pack of 5 dogs. Presumably they all bark at different times. And they are terriers - they are very vocal, energetic little dogs.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the simplest solution rat poison in some meat thrown over the fence

/just kidding i wouldn't do that to a poor dog but some owners probably deserve it from what i've seen
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had my neighbours say my dog does this, when in fact it was the garden that backed on to the house. I get very p'eed off with the owners of this dog as its out at 6 in the bloody morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But the OP is dealing with a pack of 5 dogs. Presumably they all bark at different times. And they are terriers - they are very vocal, energetic little dogs.

Even a pack will quieten after a while, I know the kennels near us get complaints but if you stand down wind of them you hear dogs barking not on the premises even, sounds carry and it's hard to tell where they really are.

The problem is unless the OP is willing to talk to the neighbours I doubt anything will be done, we were recorded because we asked the council to do it to settle the matter as different neighbours were giving us different accounts of the barking. The one complaining was saying they barked from 7am - 9pm but as I am at home 7-5pm I knew at least that time was silent.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hounding the life out of him i suppose..??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've never understood why some dog owners allow their dogs to continue barking.

It is like, after the first min or two of barking you tell them to shut the hell up.

Why does it never bother the owners, or even some of the other neighbours?

because sometimes you cant stop it. My dogs a whiner and it doesn't stop. I have tried so much but nothing works. I would rather the whining then his big boy bark.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have the same from idiot neighbours who can't control their dogs.
  • TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    How about one of these...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BarkStopper%C2%AE-Ultrasonic-audible-deterrent-outdoor/dp/B005ELAXOS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

Mixed reviews, but looks like it might be worth a try.

The OP is not alone out there. My neighbours put their noisy dogs in the garden and go off to work. Dog apologists would be surprised just how much barking a dog is capable of.

I shall order one of these tonight!