ZOMG! People have to switch on phones at aiports. Outrage!!!

Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
Forum Member
I mean, seriously?

It's the main news story on the TV and it's the headline in a lot of newspapers today and, frankly, I'm utterly unable to understand the hysteria.

A mobile phone, tablet or laptop with a flat battery is no use to man nor beast so surely nobody with any sense routinely carries these items around with a flat battery which makes me wonder why being asked to power it up at an airport might cause any inconvenience.

And, aside from the common-sense aspect, this has been a policy on a variety of flights for over a decade so why's it suddenly a big deal now?

They ask you to power up your phone, tablet or laptop, it takes about 5 seconds for the Mac/Windows logo to appear and they're happy.
It's not like they're insisting on it booting up completely and forcing you to demonstrate that it's a working device or looking through your stuff.
As long as the screen lights up, they're happy. It takes about 5 seconds and gets done as you retrieve the device from the x-ray machine basket.

What's the big deal?

Comments

• shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well said.
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    surely nobody with any sense routinely carries these items around with a flat battery
    People use devices when travelling therefore there is a good chance that the batteries will go flat.
  • Dave3622Dave3622 Posts: 1,819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In addition to what the poster above said, some planes now have USB chargers on the rear of each seat so you don't even need a charged device to be able to use it on a plane. This was the case on the Dreamliner I flew on this year.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely if it is a bomb, it will go off if switched on?
    Standby for the first"I lost my holiday cause my battery was flat" headline:confused:
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next thing they will say everyone on every flight has to prove it works which will no doubt delay the flight, followed by you have checkin 3 hours before instead of 2 to cover the device check time.

Or if they really want to take the piss, no electronic devices allowed on the place at all and includes the hold, that'll really piss people off and won't go anywhere then the economy suffers.
  • Evo102Evo102 Posts: 13,630
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But there is also the bit about if the device is flat you will be turned away from your flight, no option of abandoning the item or sending it on separately.
    British Airways said passengers who failed to turn on devices when asked will be immediately banned from their US flight and have to reschedule, even if they offer to abandon the item or send it on separately.

Britain’s main airline warned that even a new device bought in the airport lounge after passing through security will have to be charged up or the passenger will not be allowed to board at the gate. Any transfer passenger whose device has gone flat on the first leg will also be prevented from their onward travel unless they can recharge first.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Evo102 wrote: »
    But there is also the bit about if the device is flat you will be turned away from your flight, no option of abandoning the item or sending it on separately.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/terrorism-in-the-uk/10952671/Airport-security-you-wont-fly-to-the-US-if-your-mobile-phone-battery-is-dead.html

Sounds fair.

Nothing annoys me more than a person in front of me holding up a queue because s/he fusses about this or that or whatnot. Good if they turn the person away for failing to do a basic job beforehand.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does seem a *bit* silly on the face of it, but it makes a heck of a lot more sense than the liquids thing. As long as they provide charging facilities it'll be just another minor inconvenience. Though I don't see why you couldn't design an explosive device that could flash up an Apple logo. Or why a terrorist wouldn't just figure airport security was as good a place to blow up as any.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    People use devices when travelling therefore there is a good chance that the batteries will go flat.

There is also a very good chance that there's a battery-charging station at any airport.

Most seasoned travellers turn off data services, wifi, bluetooth, location services and other battery suckers when they travel, anyway.
  • dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sexbomb wrote: »
    Next thing they will say everyone on every flight has to prove it works which will no doubt delay the flight, followed by you have checkin 3 hours before instead of 2 to cover the device check time.

Or if they really want to take the piss, no electronic devices allowed on the place at all and includes the hold, that'll really piss people off and won't go anywhere then the economy suffers.

That's recommended anyway and has been for sometime at major international airports.
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I take an abacus and my little green logarithms book from school, saves hassle.

The beads are made from C4 though.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    12 years ago when I got to attend a talk by the president of the US and our prime minister at the time they made us turn our mobile phones on to make sure they worked as we went through walk through scanners and got the handheld scanner attention. They insisted at the time that they must see all devices powered on and functioning, so I think this is only new to airport security because of intelligence to suggest that it is necessary now.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Sounds fair.

Nothing annoys me more than a person in front of me holding up a queue because s/he fusses about this or that or whatnot. Good if they turn the person away for failing to do a basic job beforehand.

The other side is that I get pretty annoyed with people who accept any unreasonable and disproportionate intrusion into their lives as long as long as "terrorism" is mentioned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Axtol wrote: »
    The other side is that I get pretty annoyed with people who accept any unreasonable and disproportionate intrusion into their lives as long as long as "terrorism" is mentioned.

Accept? What do you propose I should do? Chuck a travel bag at their head and scream "I have my rights! Even though some of you thought I looked Middle Eastern enough for you to pull me aside for questions now and then!"?
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The liquids rule really bugs me. you can in theory bring in five small bottles of explosives and thats perfectly fine
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Accept? What do you propose I should do? Chuck a travel bag at their head and scream "I have my rights! Even though some of you thought I looked Middle Eastern enough for you to pull me aside for questions now and then!"?

Proposing that you don't get annoyed at someone for complaining about these measures. That's the fault of the airport security if they weren't taking completely disproportionate and unnecessary steps then the person wouldn't have to complain about them. Sorry if you feel that your trip is being disrupted but you'll just have to cope with it just like you expect everyone to cope with the "security measures".
  • tiacattiacat Posts: 22,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We dont tend to go abroad now because of our pets, holidays are in the UK only for the time being. I last went abroad in 2007 on a flight and was not asked to show or demonstrate my mobile phone.

That is only 7 years ago, I first heard this story about needing to show its working yesterday on the radio, what is the reason for it as I dont really understand?
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member

I suppose it depends on how you define unreasonable or disproportionate.

Pressing an on/off button once doesn't qualify, I don't think.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Proposing that you don't get annoyed at someone for complaining about these measures. That's the fault of the airport security if they weren't taking completely disproportionate and unnecessary steps then the person wouldn't have to complain about them. Sorry if you feel that your trip is being disrupted but you'll just have to cope with it just like you expect everyone to cope with the "security measures".

How about if they complain about those measures outside a queue? Common sense, surely?
    Forum Member
    Dan Sette wrote: »
    I suppose it depends on how you define unreasonable or disproportionate.

Pressing an on/off button once doesn't qualify, I don't think.

It's not the act but the acceptance of routine government intrusion into private lives without any justification. The government and the media would like is to believe that we are constantly in danger from terrorism. This is complete rubbish because terrorism is a very very rare sporadic thing not a constant danger. Giving people a choice between getting groped by airport security or being flooded with radiation each time you get on a flight is very unreasonable and this is another step in that direction.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't object to proving my phone, tablet etc power up - but I do object to my 90 year old Dad having to take his shoes and belt off - especially when they don't provide a chair for him to sit down to put his shoes back on. I know a terrorist can be any age, but I reckon I could get all the chemicals I need into only two 100ml containers to bring down an aircraft - and that's just using basic chemistry I learned in first year of secondary back in 1962.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surely any determined bomber could remove the battery pack, fit a small one with enough juice to 'demonstrate' the device working, and pack the rest of the compartment with explosive? Or am I missing something?
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    I mean, seriously?

It's the main news story on the TV and it's the headline in a lot of newspapers today and, frankly, I'm utterly unable to understand the hysteria.the

A mobile phone, tablet or laptop with a flat battery is no use to man nor beast so surely nobody with any sense routinely carries these items around with a flat battery which makes me wonder why being asked to power it up at an airport might cause any inconvenience.

And, aside from the common-sense aspect, this has been a policy on a variety of flights for over a decade so why's it suddenly a big deal now?

They ask you to power up your phone, tablet or laptop, it takes about 5 seconds for the Mac/Windows logo to appear and they're happy.
    It's not like they're insisting on it booting up completely and forcing you to demonstrate that it's a working device or looking through your stuff.
    As long as the screen lights up, they're happy. It takes about 5 seconds and gets done as you retrieve the device from the x-ray machine basket.

What's the big deal?
    Over a decade?
    I have travelled to the USA 6 times in under 8 years. I was even there when the liquid rules started and there was armed guards going through our luggage. Yet I never once heard that our electronic devices had to be charged.

Airport security seems to love delaying people. Outside lax there were very long ques and rather than the hoards of extra staff going outside to tell people to put liquids in the hold luggage, they waited until they were at the check in desk.
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How does turning a laptop on show that it doesn't have a bomb inside? :confused:
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    How does turning a laptop on show that it doesn't have a bomb inside? :confused:

Indeed. Post 23