Is Mac now officially better than Windows?

Comments

• Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hate finder too, one issue I have is you can't search for an applications in your list from finder, it seems to bring up all search items and takes you off applications automatically when you search. It won't let you click in a list and then type a letter and take you to that place in the list.

Preferences, Spotlight. Select what you want to appear, re-order.
    You can't select files and press the delete button, you've got to mess about going 'right click' 'move to trash'.

cmd + del [ or more accurately cmd + backspace ]
    On the desktop the Mac won't space out desktop icons for you they just get freely dropped anywhere.

Right click, Show view options. Arrange and sort to your hearts content.

[ for consistent views in folders, open a folder, right click, show view options, set your defaults and hit the 'use as default' button }
    When you use multi monitors and I unplug applications literally disappear and are almost impossible to get back. You quit and open again, but they open again tiny and hidden on the screen you unplugged until you mess about changing resolution or re-plugging in the screen you removed. Windows remembers the size and location of each program independently and re-launches it in the same place, the Mac doesn't.

A most irritating bug that I have yet to find a solution for.
    Copy and paste between some applications in the mac is frustrating between command and the mouse clipboards as with some applications it is intermittent and seems to have an odd clipboard depending on if you use the context menu or the command key.

Another irritation. If you cut/copy with a menu or key command then paste with the same.
    All the simple picture viewers and editors are horrible that come with the mac, give me simple paint and the image viewer on Windows any day for very simple operations. I prefer the snipping tool in Windows to CMD Shift 4 and then having to take the image it saved, re-open and copy etc, the snipping tool is much better.

There is no equivalent of paint supplied with OS X. Paste your image into any application you want to use.

There are other minor things too, but I would say they both have their upsides and downsides. Both are generally stable and reliable for me, although both have had their crashes or issues just as much, Apple certainly isn't completely immune from issues. I'm happy on both platforms, Apple at work and Windows at home for me, so I get hours of use out of each platform most days and I'm happy with both and wouldn't change to Apple at home or back to a Windows machine at work out of choice.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the tips Rick

..With the icons, I do have them arranged my way, what I meant was that Windows Icons can be moved and snap to their correct spacing rather than being totally free. This also means on the Mac when plug in a screen and the resolution changes all the icons are overlapping and a mess!

You did have a solution with CMD + backspace which is good.

As for the searching, what I mean is I only want to search applications if I have applications selected, not change the search defaults as sometimes I DO want to search files.

Part of it is me being picky, but some of them are frustrating as you say like the applications going missing when you remove a 2nd screen and some copy and paste issues.

You are right though, both platforms have their ups and downs, I'm happy using both.
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Posts: 1,323
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, rick Davis, an objective opinion, I salute you, makes a change from the usual fanboy commentary.

I agree with you, both are good at different things. Generally mac fans are more vocal than windows fans about how good their choice of OS is and god help people like me who say windows 8.1 is actually ok when you get used to it.

Most OSs can do a decent job these days.
  • Rick_DavisRick_Davis Posts: 1,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thine Wonk wrote: »
    Thanks for the tips Rick

..With the icons, I do have them arranged my way, what I meant was that Windows Icons can be moved and snap to their correct spacing rather than being totally free. This also means on the Mac when plug in a screen and the resolution changes all the icons are overlapping and a mess

Ok, I have abetter understanding of what you want. Unfortunately I don't think its possible to have auto-snap but not ordered by ... if you see where I'm coming from. I have my files ordered by type and name, always have done so I cant offer a solution to this.
    You did have a solution with CMD + backspace which is good.

Its not Windows, OSX has its own keyboard shortcuts, they are different.
    As for the searching, what I mean is I only want to search applications if I have applications selected, not change the search defaults as sometimes I DO want to search files.

You may want to look at search helpers such as Butler, Alfred and the venerable Quicksilver. These are very powerful extensions to the basic search within OSX. All are very configurable and take a fairly crap inbuilt search and inject some banned steroids. I particularly like Alfred as with the paid-for powerpack you can chain commands together, with variables to do everyday stuff.
    Part of it is me being picky, but some of them are frustrating as you say like the applications going missing when you remove a 2nd screen and some copy and paste issues.

Shit happens. You bug the developers enough they may eventually listen.

You are right though, both platforms have their ups and downs, I'm happy using both.
  • bspacebspace Posts: 14,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was usually quite easy to kill Finder and thus anything that relied upon it. Connect to a network share, start accessing files & copying files etc, then disconnect or reboot the network computer (whilst Finder is idle). Sometimes Finder would notice and inform you it's disconnected, other times it would just hang forever.

It would often do the same with dirty/damaged optical media, even blocking the Eject command as Finder is still "using" it.

I'm not saying it didn't/doesn't happen, and I saw freezes often enough when I was keeping an office full of 20 Macs running (and the ever spinning beachball). But my own experience with my own recent Macs is that I haven't experienced any problems that I could directly attribute to finder. Though like I said, other things have caused problems which took finder down with them. I spend time looking through logs if something becomes more than an infrequent occurence.
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main technical benefit is the vastly superior security and just plainly more logical BSD that max osx is based on. The way windows is organised is dire, and the windows registry is the work of Satan.

I think the actual graphical UI will be more of a subjective issue, it depends on what you get used to. If you do go mac it is worth learning all the main keyboard shortcuts though. There is a lot of ignorance on how to do things quickly in the mac osx.

Having said that you can get windows to work ok, but the issue with a lot of cheaper laptops is all the crap ware and trial version anti virus stuff which really makes running a cheapo windows laptop a pita.

Finally the one area which windows is uber crap at is updates and all the confusing versions and weird anti piracy stuff they put in to windows.

The OSX update process these days is a breeze and I am amazed after all these years that the windows update mechanism is still about the most inefficient software process ever invented.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jonner101 wrote: »
    The main technical benefit is the vastly superior security

The idea of OS X and iOS having no security bugs, flaws and holes is a myth. Here are some that have finally been fixed, often long after they have been fixed in Linux and Windows. Some of the major ones were ridiculous flaws that should never have existed if Apple had security checking built in to its development lifecycle process and some were things they knew about but didn't get around to patching until two years after Microsoft did.

Look especially at the last few links.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2014/06/apple-releases-ios-7-1-2-with-ibeacon-mail-attachment-encryption-fixes/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/06/surprise-ios-7-1-jailbreak-for-most-iphones-and-ipads-uses-year-old-flaw/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/05/your-iphone-has-been-taken-hostage-pay-100-ransom-to-get-it-back/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/apple-users-left-exposed-to-serious-threats-for-weeks-former-employee-says/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/04/iphones-and-macs-get-fix-for-extremely-critical-triple-handshake-crypto-bug/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/four-days-in-and-still-no-patch-for-os-x-critical-goto-fail-bug/

http://arstechnica.com/security/2014/02/extremely-critical-crypto-flaw-in-ios-may-also-affect-fully-patched-macs/
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OSX update process these days is a breeze and I am amazed after all these years that the windows update mechanism is still about the most inefficient software process ever invented.

I have found the opposite is true when using my mac and pc. On windows I rarely see any updates being installed as they update in the background or when you switch the pc off. The update process nowadays is almost completely transparent.

On the other hand every time I turn my mac on it seems to have several hundred megabytes of updates waiting to be installed and you have to do it manually through their app store software often requiring a restart when it is finished.
  • oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how many browse the web with Windows now rather than a phone/tablet. I'm sure I read somewhere Windows is well down and a larger majority browse with phones/tablets now?

Mobile/tablets are ok for casual browsing, but when you are doing "serious" browsing e.g. work use, I prefer a PC as it is easier to save pages, print them etc, copy stuff to word etc.

It is not surprising (hindsight is wonderful) tablets/phones took off in a big way in the domestic market, as the user base requirements were mostly to be able to easily surf web and send emails, watch videos, and take photos, and, and at a modest price e.g. budget tablet c.£100, budget laptop c. £300+
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The main technical benefit is the vastly superior security and just plainly more logical BSD that max osx is based on. The way windows is organised is dire, and the windows registry is the work of Satan.

So I was just dreaming about the "goto fail" then.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    The idea of OS X and iOS having no security bugs, flaws and holes is a myth. Here are some that have finally been fixed, often long after they have been fixed in Linux and Windows. Some of the major ones were ridiculous flaws that should never have existed if Apple had security checking built in to its development lifecycle process and some were things they knew about but didn't get around to patching until two years after Microsoft did.

That's bound to happen if you use your PR department for bug fixing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    I have found the opposite is true when using my mac and pc. On windows I rarely see any updates being installed as they update in the background or when you switch the pc off. The update process nowadays is almost completely transparent.

On the other hand every time I turn my mac on it seems to have several hundred megabytes of updates waiting to be installed and you have to do it manually through their app store software often requiring a restart when it is finished.

You can set OSX to auto update as far as I know. I never have this on as I've never found an update on OSX to take more then 10 mins and I don't the computer to auto-download stuff in the background. A restart on a modern Mac is pretty rapid so it's not a big deal.

I hate with a passion the dialog you get on windows which suddenly pops up saying it will reboot our machine in 10 mins so I never have auto update enabled.
  • Mr DosMr Dos Posts: 3,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your main criteria is what a computer looks like - Apple wins hands down

If you want to do real work - pc's give more bang for your buck

Years ago when pc's were beige boxes, I came across the see through Apple Mac at college and thought 'WOW !'. Nowadays, I could build 3 * 4th gen Intel desktop pc's for the cost of one Apple equivalent.
  • standinmanstandinman Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Mac haters will never never understand they joy of having problem free computer experience ,that always does what it should personally ,i wouldn't use anything else now .and yes there was a time when i thought mac users were bonkers and had too much money,until i got one and wow .....
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,278
    Forum Member
    Why you should never take the recommendation of an apple user...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JQsXPd41U#t=215

;-):D
  • and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    standinman wrote: »
    Mac haters will never never understand they joy of having problem free computer experience ,that always does what it should personally ,i wouldn't use anything else now .and yes there was a time when i thought mac users were bonkers and had too much money,until i got one and wow .....
    I have 5 macs and I can't say that I have ever known the joy of a problem free computer experience.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think this is true though. As someone who has both microsoft and apple products at home and work (windows phone, iphone, lenovo and dell laptops and apple iMac), my windows machines have been a less buggy/glitchy than the Macs for sure though both are pretty good on that front.

People get into weird dichotomies like comparing a £400 Windows XP laptop with the latest £1,000 Macbook

When you compare like-for-like, both are similar.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    call100 wrote: »
    Why you should never take the recommendation of an apple user...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9JQsXPd41U#t=215

;-):D

That video just shows that people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. You could stick an Apple sticker on a bag of dog poo and someone will still buy it and think it's wonderful and the next generation and whatever :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    and101 wrote: »
    I have 5 macs and I can't say that I have ever known the joy of a problem free computer experience.

I run both,

A mac just like any computer can have problems and is far from perfect. I just get less issues in general with the Mac operating system. It especially seems a lot more resilient to rogue applications as you don't have a central registry or point of failure that can be screwed up.

I've had quite a few cases where something has gone wrong on windows which has trashed the registry which has rendered the machine non bootable which means a total restore or in some cases a clean install.

For example yesterday in windows I had weird issue when using drop box and viewing photo thumbnails. A mysterious dllhost process started running which took up a staggering 3 gig of memory. This was a real pain to fix and turned out to be a weird bug in windows explorer.

As with windows I avoid the standard OS browser (Safari) and use chrome which runs perfectly.

I think it helps a lot for the average user that by default now you cannot run unsigned applications so I think novices will get less problems. It baffles me why they didn't put a proper application store like the OSX one in windows 8. Even Linux has had something like this for years.
  • newda898newda898 Posts: 5,465
    Forum Member
    I'll get the popcorn.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it helps a lot for the average user that by default now you cannot run unsigned applications so I think novices will get less problems. It baffles me why they didn't put a proper application store like the OSX one in windows 8. Even Linux has had something like this for years.

There is an appstore in Windows 8. You mean why does it not have win32/desktop applications in there? For one, even if they wanted to all applications would need development to be compatible. Two, they were also trying to build a library of touch friendly apps. Three, in the new iOS/Android world, there are fewer active developers for Windows platforms and you can't ask too much of them. The more activity one they do (revamping existing applications), takes manpower away from activity two (building the touch apps).

The ambition for WinRT apps is not just to be baby tablet apps but to be the future of all app development on Windows. This kills two birds with one stone. You can build apps with responsive design and use the same app as a full-screen experience and windowed on the desktop and I'm sure the future is that the app would react to the scenario it is being used in.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    newda898 wrote: »
    I'll get the popcorn.

I have some. It's toffee popcorn. Will that do? *hands over the bag*
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

I've owned Macs and PCs, and both have been very similar in terms of "problem free computing".

Admittedly I went back to Windows a few years ago, but this current self build machine is now four years old or more and it has never crashed running Windows 7. The occasional program has crashed but that never resulted in the entire system going down, and it suffered a power supply failure last year though. That was because in an effort to cut costs I had bought a cheap power supply for under £15 back when it was built. The secret is just to do the sensible things, install updates as and when required, run decent firewall, never download anything you are suspicious of and run malware checks every so often. That goes for OSX, Windows and even lately Linux too.

I've never had a virus on Windows 7 either, because I'm not daft enough to blindly click on things to install them without being sure I know what it is.

I did love my Imac, but when it gave up the ghost it was just far too costly to consider another Mac.

I should also add I completely skipped Vista, so maybe that's why I think both operating systems seemed pretty stable.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheBigM wrote: »
    There is an appstore in Windows 8. You mean why does it not have win32/desktop applications in there? For one, even if they wanted to all applications would need development to be compatible. Two, they were also trying to build a library of touch friendly apps. Three, in the new iOS/Android world, there are fewer active developers for Windows platforms and you can't ask too much of them. The more activity one they do (revamping existing applications), takes manpower away from activity two (building the touch apps).

The ambition for WinRT apps is not just to be baby tablet apps but to be the future of all app development on Windows. This kills two birds with one stone. You can build apps with responsive design and use the same app as a full-screen experience and windowed on the desktop and I'm sure the future is that the app would react to the scenario it is being used in.

How is that you would just surely just submit your win32 application along with the marketing blurb which could be digitally signed in someway by Microsoft once approved.

They really missed a trick here as there are literally millions of developers familiar with win32 development.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    That video just shows that people will buy anything with an Apple logo on it. You could stick an Apple sticker on a bag of dog poo and someone will still buy it and think it's wonderful and the next generation and whatever :D

The iTurd :)