Options

Ninja Turtles 9/11 Burning Skyscraper Poster Pulled

CorbynDallasCorbynDallas Posts: 821
Forum Member
✭✭
Quote: The poster showed the Ninja Turtle characters from the upcoming film jumping from a flaming skyscraper with the release date of September 11th inscribed below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28560042

:o

Comments

• Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Quote: The poster showed the Ninja Turtle characters from the upcoming film jumping from a flaming skyscraper with the release date of September 11th inscribed below.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-28560042

:o

although i doubt someone was intentionally trying to be offensive, they obviously didn't think
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    although i doubt someone was intentionally trying to be offensive, they obviously didn't think

Yeah at first I wondered what the fuss was about (granted, it's minimal fuss) and, although unfortunate and in poor taste, it was just a case of the link being missed between the image and the Australian launch date but then I thought surely there is a marketing team or whatever that things like this shouldn't get past?

That said if it is an Australian marketing team then perhaps the date wouldn't have obviously jumped out at them the way it would almost certainly a US team. Tbf they seem to have accepted they dropped an unintentional clanger and have dealt with it well.

We're looking forward to the movie in this house.
  • Options
    Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when will it be ok?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    so when will it be ok?

What, when can 9/11 or burning skyscrapers be referenced and it not be considered offensive? I don't know. Not yet obviously.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    so when will it be ok?

Speaking as someone who lived in NYC on 9/11 (I still have nightmares), it'll never be okay for me, but the world also doesn't revolve around me (as far as I know...:D ). I doubt the poster gaffe was intentional, and I'm certainly not going to boycott the movie over it (I'll boycott it because it looks absolutely ridiculous to me - even my 7 year old boy seems to think it looks like crap). I don't think there's a statute of limitations on how long it takes to get over something like 9/11 (or any other tragedy that one has gone through) but you can't expect the world to stop for you forever because of it.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems a strange thing to be sensitive about when so many films feature NY buildings being blown up or destroyed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Speaking as someone who lived in NYC on 9/11 (I still have nightmares), it'll never be okay for me, but the world also doesn't revolve around me (as far as I know...:D ). I doubt the poster gaffe was intentional, and I'm certainly not going to boycott the movie over it (I'll boycott it because it looks absolutely ridiculous to me - even my 7 year old boy seems to think it looks like crap). I don't think there's a statute of limitations on how long it takes to get over something like 9/11 (or any other tragedy that one has gone through) but you can't expect the world to stop for you forever because of it.

I can't imagine what it was like for you and I can understand why you still have nightmares; the images we saw on TV from across the Atlantic were so haunting they'll always stay with me, so, as I said, I can't imagine how horrific it was and still is for those of you there.

I had initially thought 'never' when I saw Billy's question, but tbh, not US obviously, I think one day it won't be in the forefront as much. Can't imagine it will be in the next ten years -ball-park figure - though. Not yet.

As for the movie, I haven't seen trailers but our son is such a fan and so excited we were hoping it might actually be even mildly enjoyable. Oh boo!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine what it was like for you and I can understand why you still have nightmares; the images we saw on TV from across the Atlantic were so haunting they'll always stay with me, so, as I said, I can't imagine how horrific it was and still is for those of you there.

I had initially thought 'never' when I saw Billy's question, but tbh, not US obviously, I think one day it won't be in the forefront as much. Can't imagine it will be in the next ten years -ball-park figure - though. Not yet.

As for the movie, I haven't seen trailers but our son is such a fan and so excited we were hoping it might actually be even mildly enjoyable. Oh boo!

It looks like they designed the Turtles out of Play-Doh and then someone sat on the models accidentally! My son was like "Why are their heads such a weird shape? And that green looks like puke." I actually don't mind watching the series with him, but this movie seems a bit off.

And thanks - I always hesitate to bring it up (for years, it was something I couldn't even talk about or acknowledge on the date), and I'm not saying I want people to go all out and make fun of the experiences of the day, but I do think that we have to realize that we can't react to everything that happens on that date and tie it back to what happened - yeah, the skyscraper thing was really dumb, but the movie's being released that day and there are going to be a bunch of special effects that may seem inappropriate, but aren't really - it's not like they started making the movie with these effects and knew that it would be released on September 11, 2014.

And I actually laughed at my first 9/11 joke the other day by a stand-up comic (it wasn't anything mean, it had to do with pizza, and honestly? It was funny!) - a little humor is a good thing :).
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member

sorry about what you went through, as you said itis not worth boycotting because of what im hoping was a case of not thinking, as for the film, i will always love the 90s turtles film, not really interested in the new ones
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    so when will it be ok?

Look at it this way, some people still take offence at people dressing up in Nazi costumes for fancy dress parties...so a long time yet.
  • Options
    Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think the picture is offensive, any other date and probably nothing would have been said?

As for a burning skyscraper being insensitive, does that mean we will never see 'Towering Inferno' on TV again? (I have the DVD)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I don't think the picture is offensive, any other date and probably nothing would have been said?

As for a burning skyscraper being insensitive, does that mean we will never see 'Towering Inferno' on TV again? (I have the DVD)

Probably not on 9/11.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Maybe its in slightly poor taste, but its just a release date, if it had November 12, or something, next to a skyscraper would that be OK?
    The people who designed the poster probably didnt link the image and date together.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It probable was just an accident. Someone didn't add up Sept.11 + NY building burning + people falling from said building. But the company owned it and immediately pulled the ad. Good for them and no big deal.

That being said, my cynical side says that this market group knew exactly what they were doing and it worked perfectly. Massive publicity for that stupid movie. I know in all my marketing courses in grad school, every single small detail in an add is combed over, and every word, font, color, symbol is put there for a purpose. Marketing houses don't just throw something together with Photoshop. You have to remember who is producing this (Michael Bay), not the most honorable character there is.
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    And the Terrorists Win...

Whilst 9/11 and 7/7 was tragic, I think it's time we moved on from that now, doesn't anyone else? We can't keep going on not being able to use specific dates or images because they're a reminder of something bad that happened.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Doesn't Australia use the same date format as us?

So 9/11 would be the 9th of November or it should have been 11/9
  • Options
    Skyclaw726Skyclaw726 Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wonder how long it will be until we "dare" to show a generic tall building blowing up again without the yanks going apeshit.
  • Options
    FIN-MANFIN-MAN Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Skyclaw726 wrote: »
    Wonder how long it will be until we "dare" to show a generic tall building blowing up again without the yanks going apeshit.

I think it wasn't a matter of any specific aspect but the fact that 1 thing plus another thing plus another thing combined together was kind of cringe worthy. You might want to remember that 470 people that weren't from the US died that day, with the UK representing the most. It might be more than the "Yanks" sensibilities being offended. But continue with you "Yank" bashing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would only be 'offensive' or 'in poor taste' if done on purpose - the poster and date would have been sorted out separately.

Unfortunate of course, very few people would see the link anyway only those like spatulagirl, anyone who lost someone or were closely affected would really probably see any link.

Very much an 'oops, bugger' moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Doesn't Australia use the same date format as us?

So 9/11 would be the 9th of November or it should have been 11/9

It didn't actually use 9/11 it was shown as September 11 in smallish writing at the bottom of the poster.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    It looks like they designed the Turtles out of Play-Doh and then someone sat on the models accidentally! My son was like "Why are their heads such a weird shape? And that green looks like puke." I actually don't mind watching the series with him, but this movie seems a bit off.

Because they are mutant turtles.
  • Options
    shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If it hadn't been pointed out to me, I wouldn't even have made any kind of connection to 9/11.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was the combination of date and image that was wrong. The people designing it really should have twigged. Businesses like mine spent enough time photoshopping the Twin Towers out of NY stock shots afterwards and we're not US-based. Cock-up by the people who produced the marketing, basically.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Flaming hell, they certainly didn't. Why did they even think that that was a good idea in the first place?
  • Options
    Doctor_WibbleDoctor_Wibble Posts: 26,580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DianaFire wrote: »
    It was the combination of date and image that was wrong. The people designing it really should have twigged.
    Quite - and should have been obvious to anyone old enough to have a job putting that poster together - or at least someone in the team unless the entire start-to-finish staff are all on school placements. There's not many things that are remembered primarily by the date on which they occurred (rather than location or event) so when it does come up you would think that someone might spot it.

A release date of 'September 11' on a poster with green fields and puppies wouldn't bother anyone or generate this much attention.

Or, being a tad cynical, maybe someone did spot it.