Options

Time for an Older Gay Character in EastEnders?

vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,552
Forum Member
✭✭
Johnny Carter is the only Gay male character on EastEnders at the moment but his coming out story seems to have stalled, are we waiting until Ben Mitchell returns to see Johnny's sexuality explored further?

On this note should the show have an older gay male character as well?

Comments

• Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Should have been the market-stall guy about to join the show. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should have been the market-stall guy about to join the show. ;-)

That would have been interesting but EE have done the Gay Muslim thing with Syed.
  • Options
    ScrabblerScrabbler Posts: 51,303
    Forum Member
    Do you remember Private Pike, Pauline's gay lodger who sadly was denied a portion of sausage surprise
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scrabbler wrote: »
    Do you remember Private Pike, Pauline's gay lodger who sadly was denied a portion of sausage surprise

Jean was not around then Scrabbler.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    vaslav37 wrote: »

I meant he didn't get any sexual action vaslav me Old chum, you wouldn't even realise he was gay, 'twas a shame
  • Options
    Liv1Liv1 Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    Johnny Carter is the only Gay male character on EastEnders at the moment but his coming out story seems to have stalled, are we waiting until Ben Mitchell returns to see Johnny's sexuality explored further?

I really hope they don't go for the predictable Johnny and Ben Mitchell getting together just because they're the only gay characters. Unless there's some genuine chemistry I'll just find it really annoying pairing them off together because they're both gay :confused:
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    I would love to see a pair of old queens move into the square - along the lines of the characters from Vicious.

I can just see Dot now pulling her handbag up to her chest "ooh I say"

Seriously though, it would be nice to see the older generations gay characters introduced. It's not all about coming out, sometimes it is just about living.
  • Options
    HarloweHarlowe Posts: 20,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Derek? from Dad's army?

All I remember of him was taking the rap for Martin's weed dealing.

I dunno we have a lesbian r/s, Johnny is gay and Ben and him will highly likely get together, Sonia for the turning soon, I be more inclined to see Johnny and were his s/l goes.
  • Options
    0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Pauline was a rubbish faghag. Stupid boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Harlowe wrote: »
    Derek? from Dad's army?

All I remember of him was taking the rap for Martin's weed dealing.

I dunno we have a lesbian r/s, Johnny is gay and Ben and him will highly likely get together, Sonia for the turning soon, I be more inclined to see Johnny and were his s/l goes.

That's the one, he lived with Pauline before she ended up with Mr Benn
  • Options
    KenkennedykenneKenkennedykenne Posts: 3,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That would have been interesting but EE have done the Gay Muslim thing with Syed.

What makes you say he's Muslim?
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A pair of older gay men? Oh yes, slagging off Cora's hair, clothes and makeup and gossiping about her relationship with Stan, oh the fun! :D

I bet even Carol's wigs wouldn't be safe from their catty remarks.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    0...0 wrote: »
    And Pauline was a rubbish faghag. Stupid boy.

She was in desperate need to show him Mrs Slocombes pussy if I recall correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She was in desperate need to show him Mrs Slocombes pussy if I recall correctly.

Poor Pauline. By that stage it had morphed int a mangy old bagpuss...
  • Options
    MarkynottsMarkynotts Posts: 5,255
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »
    A pair of older gay men? Oh yes, slagging off Cora's hair, clothes and makeup and gossiping about her relationship with Stan, oh the fun! :D

Bumping into Cora in the street and remarking how bad drag queens have become recently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe this could be Stan and Patrick's secret. Everyone else has got one so it would be rude to leave them out.
  • Options
    Chris MarkChris Mark Posts: 4,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Markynotts wrote: »
    Bumping into Cora in the street and remarking how bad drag queens have become recently.

You read my mind.

There's an old thread about Cora, I think it was soon after she arrived and somebody said she looked like Charlie Slater in drag.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I am not surprised, Private Pike and Mr Benn clearly had nothing on old Arthur, he had to service Mrs Hewitts bush quite regularly and was much more experienced
  • Options
    OminousGloryOminousGlory Posts: 5,019
    Forum Member
    Coming out story has stalled? How much further could it go? He told his parents he's gay. Now he's just living a normal life like gay people do.
  • Options
    GeekInfectedGeekInfected Posts: 6,372
    Forum Member
    Why not? I'd prefer an older gay couple though. That have been married for years. They could take over fat blasters and deliver the girls their weekly load of gossip.

I wouldn't mind seeing Nikki Spraggan return at some point, this time with her gay friends Steve & Steve
  • Options
    TesphenTesphen Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have Tina and Tosh. The queer quota has been filled. Id prefer to see characters introduced because they're dynamic and interesting, not because they tick certain boxes.
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    Chris Mark wrote: »

I can imagine them being a right pair of old bitches as well, the bitchier the better!

Christopher Biggins could play one of them!

:-D:-D
  • Options
    Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

:D:D:D:D
  • Options
    Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about an old gay couple moving to Walford played by Derek Jacobi and Sir Ian McKellen whose best friend is a right old goer - perhaps Francis de la Tour could be cast in the role?
  • Options
    RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member

Or a saggy old beaver!