Whats your fav Freeview Channel?

2»

Comments

• barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    elfcurry wrote: »
    and about the same for the 'barker' (is that the term?) channels.
    I'm going out on a limb here, but are you suggesting that "barker" is a slang word for those evangelist preachers that they have on American channels? If so, that suddenly makes sense of a line in Neil Young's Sugar Mountain, where he sings,

"with the barkers and the coloured balloons".

I had always wondered why he should have singled out a family by the name of the Barkers but it all makes sense now... well slightly.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess the results will depend on where you live, as not all locations get all the channels.

So for example, I am never going to say "quest" as we don't get that where we live........

Leading from that, it's also true that the more channels you give people, the less likely they will be to pick the traditional channels such as BBC or itv. The viewing time per ch operator is then split between more chs.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »
    I guess the results will depend on where you live, as not all locations get all the channels.

So for example, I am never going to say "quest" as we don't get that where we live........

Leading from that, it's also true that the more channels you give people, the less likely they will be to pick the traditional channels such as BBC or itv. The viewing time per ch operator is then split between more chs.
    I don't go along with that. The sheer numbers of appalling, rubbish channels on Freeview make you appreciate the BBC channels even more. Out of all of them, the only ones I select in my Favourites list are Channel 4, 4Seven, Quest, Yesterday, Notts TV and Film 4, plus Dave, Drama and moviesformen. Out of the last three, I doubt if I've watched Dave in the last year and I keep the other two more out of curiosity than anything else. I do also keep the ITV channels but I'm not really sure why; I think Cilla is the only programme I've watched on there recently.
  • SteveMcKSteveMcK Posts: 5,457
    Forum Member
    barbeler wrote: »
    I'm going out on a limb here, but are you suggesting that "barker" is a slang word for those evangelist preachers that they have on American channels? If so, that suddenly makes sense of a line in Neil Young's Sugar Mountain, where he sings,

I had always wondered why he should have singled out a family by the name of the Barkers but it all makes sense now... well slightly.
    I think in that context the song is talking about the fairground barkers, the guys that stand outside the attractions shouting ("barking") "Roll up, roll up, come and see the only TV engineer in captivity" :)
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David (2) wrote: »

Even when I had Sky most of my time was spent watching BBC, it's just so much better than the opposition (imho of course).
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As the Freeview ads say ~ "95% of the most-watched programmes are subscription-free" or words to that effect. So large numbers of people pay to get extra choice but don't exercise that choice much in practice.
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Apart from the usual channels I watch I'd say my fave at the moment is True Entertainment on CH61 purely because it shows Highway To Heaven and Due South which is just pure nostalgia at its best :D used to watch them shows with my parents in the 90s.
  • Neil_NNeil_N Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    BBC3 followed by Drama.
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC 1
    BBC 2
    BBC 4
    Quest
    Drama
    ITV 4
    BBC news
    Yesterday
    CBS Action
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC1HD, ITV1HD & Drama get the vast majority of my attention! :)
  • SexbombSexbomb Posts: 20,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Babestation :D:D
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Really for the paranormal stuff they show.
  • elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »

Not preachers AFAIK though I see your thinking.

No, I meant continuous-advert channels (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barker_channel) as the term barker has been used in these forums to describe someone like a market barrow-boy shouting ('barking') to the crowd to buy their wares.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pick TV.