Options

Compulsory plastic bag charge from tomorrow...?

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I take my miserable comment back, you're actually rather funny! :D

I worked in Poundstretcher when we ran out of bags one December and couldn't get a new order.

You haven't seen angry people who either have to carry stuff out in their arms or in huge sacks with no handles.

People do not like being told they cannot have a bag for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    Will England not follow suit too? :confused:

Next year I think it's October 2015.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    Maybe I could compromise and make the carrier into some kind of underwear and start a trend for Tesco boxers.

Yes!

You could rent out advertising space across your buttocks, and charge the shop. Genius :)
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Steady now Steve!
    You're lightening up.
    You're not half as much fun when you do!
    :D

Steve's a pussycat really I think. Beneath that flimsy plastic bag exterior ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next year I think it's October 2015.

Is it? I somehow got confused and thought it was from the 1st Jan 2015. TBF that's props my scattiness tho.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in Poundstretcher when we ran out of bags one December and couldn't get a new order.

You haven't seen angry people who either have to carry stuff out in their arms or in huge sacks with no handles.

People do not like being told they cannot have a bag for free.

They'll get used to it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WoodenCat wrote: »
    Yes!

You could rent out advertising space across your buttocks, and charge the shop. Genius :)

If you take your bag back does it have to be the carrier of the shop what if you fill your bags in Tesco into four Asda carriers?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No exact date yet to be before end of 2015.
  • Options
    OvalteenieOvalteenie Posts: 24,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What about buying fresh meat and fish? :confused: It could be unhygienic & a food safety risk to put fresh fish into a bag that's been re-used.
  • Options
    001_ATLANTIS001_ATLANTIS Posts: 2,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone asked what the implications are for groceries delivered by supermarkets. The answer is interesting and kind of demonstrates what a load of old cobblers this is.

Unless you specifically choose a bagless delivery (in which case you can just imagine all you groceries being tipped out onto your doorstep) there will be an across the board charge of 35p per order regardless of how many carrier bags are used. Go figure!

So the supermarkets will basically carry on as before, but will of course pass the cost of bagging your groceries to you. There doesn't appear to be any real incentive for them to cut down on their ridiculous habit of frequently putting single items in their own bespoke carrier bags.

It just seems to me that this really hasn't been thought through very well and that it is all about trying to appear 'green' when it will most probably have other consequences that make it neutral or worse. So is politics. So is life. :cry:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you take your bag back does it have to be the carrier of the shop what if you fill your bags in Tesco into four Asda carriers?

Well I'm a bit of a rebel. But I take my Asda bags everywhere. I went to Morrisons today and put my shopping in Asda bags for life........

I'm too cool to even care me lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No exact date yet to be before end of 2015.

Ah ok, thank you
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bought a 6 pack of Crunchies in Home Bargains and she asked me if I wanted help packing my bag, I said I didn't need help or a bag.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I have strong reusable bags from Belgian and Dutch supermarkets I take to do my main shop in Sainsbury's. And I get extra Nectar points too :)

I have 'bags for life' from various shops and I use whatever bag I have folded up that day
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the shop might pay your 5p if you go into a competitor and flounce the bags of their shop around and say to someone "look an Asda bag"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the shop might pay your 5p if you go into a competitor and flounce the bags of their shop around and say to someone "look an Asda bag"

I went Christmas shopping in Cardiff one year when Wales had no 'free' bags and not one store cared when I placed goods in a different shop's bag
  • Options
    SambdaSambda Posts: 6,210
    Forum Member
    Someone asked what the implications are for groceries delivered by supermarkets. The answer is interesting and kind of demonstrates what a load of old cobblers this is.

Unless you specifically choose a bagless delivery (in which case you can just imagine all you groceries being tipped out onto your doorstep) there will be an across the board charge of 35p per order regardless of how many carrier bags are used. Go figure!

:

This is all grossly unfair to the beleaguered delivery people. With bags, I stand at the door, take the bags from the crate and put them behind me. Everything fits into just a few bags. This can all be done very quickly. The delivery bloke departs, I carry my bags into my kitchen (4 or more at a time) and put stuff away.

Without the bags, doing things my old way, I would appear to have to unload all my stuff item by item (!) from the crates (this will take about 5, 6 or 7x as long), put them behind me, let the bloke go, carry the goods item by item to my kitchen.

Or else let the delivery bloke through to my kitchen where it will still take 5x as long to unload, but saves *me* (only) all the carrying.

What about old people who, under the bagged system, would not usually let strangers into their homes? Now they are going to be under more pressure to do so, unless they want to spend the rest of the day moving dozens of items by hand.

This is ridiculous - there should be an exemption for home delivery.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    I went Christmas shopping in Cardiff one year when Wales had no 'free' bags and not one store cared when I placed goods in a different shop's bag

Now though it's getting ultra competitive between them all, the big four losing their way to Lidl & Aldi, coming up with daft price comparison schemes.

Something has to give the prices cannot keep getting lower and be sustainable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sambda wrote: »
    This is all grossly unfair to the beleaguered delivery people. With bags, I stand at the door, take the bags from the crate and put them behind me. Everything fits into just a few bags. This can all be done very quickly. The delivery bloke departs, I carry my bags into my kitchen (4 or more at a time) and put stuff away.

Without the bags, doing things my old way, I would appear to have to unload all my stuff item by item (!) from the crates (this will take about 5, 6 or 7x as long), put them behind me, let the bloke go, carry the goods item by item to my kitchen.

Or else let the delivery bloke through to my kitchen where it will still take 5x as long to unload, but saves *me* (only) all the carrying.

What about old people who, under the bagged system, would not usually let strangers into their homes? Now they are going to be under more pressure to do so, unless they want to spend the rest of the day moving dozens of items by hand.

This is ridiculous - there should be an exemption for home delivery.

Maybe you give the bags back to the delivery man and you get them free next time, maybe he notes it on his system.

Mrs Sambda gave me three bags on last visit so she gets her stuff squashed into three bags this time despite fact she doubled her order and it won't fit in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Now though it's getting ultra competitive between them all, the big four losing their way to Lidl & Aldi, coming up with daft price comparison schemes.

Something has to give the prices cannot keep getting lower and be sustainable.

Well this wasn't food stores, this was more shops like Debenhams, Boots, M&S and House of Fraser. When asked if I wanted a bag, I said no and placed the item in whatever bag I had handy :)

I'll take a large Lidl bag next time I go to Sainsbury's and let you know how I get on :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still think my idea is the best, you put them out for recycling, the recycling depot sorts them into supermarket piles then sells them back to the supermarket, who by law have to buy them back and they give them out for free.

No messing around with taxing people 5p and the supermarkets pay for a certain number to cover the cost of sorting them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Well this wasn't food stores, this was more shops like Debenhams, Boots, M&S and House of Fraser. When asked if I wanted a bag, I said no and placed the item in whatever bag I had handy :)

I'll take a large Lidl bag next time I go to Sainsbury's and let you know how I get on :)

You have to flaunt it and hold it up and go to a shopper next to you "LIDL LOVE" and smile and nod.