Illegal Immigrants may have died in lorry.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is a horrible story which I find quite heartbreaking.

What disturbs me, almost more, are the reader comments at the bottom of the story. Absolutely shocking.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1279876/Five-illegal-immigrants-locked-French-refrigerated-lorry-feared-dead.html

Comments

• Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a tragic story, but if they'd used the official channels they'd be alive now.
    Cue the usual 'It's the Daily Mail's fault' comments.
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    This has happened before, won't people learn that hiding inside a refrigerated lorry is stupid and dangerous. Last time there was a number of illegals who died in a similar lorry.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This comment has been marked down 28 times so far
    Talk about a world in turmoil. You'd need a heart of stone to not feel for these people no matter how much you believe our country is abused

I agree with it wholeheartedly and I can't see why anyone wouldn't.
  • GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vinba wrote: »
    The comments at the bottom of the Daily Mail are 'De rigueur' for that rag. I suspect they're created by some sort of malevolent Artificial Intelligence.
    There is no form of intelligence involved in the making of those comments.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mooby~ wrote: »
    This comment has been marked down 28 times so far

I agree with it wholeheartedly and I can't see why anyone wouldn't.

I can't either. How is it so hard to understand the actions of desperate people and not be compelled to feel for them.

If our country falls apart in the way that many of the DM readers believe it might, then those same people may find themselves to be desperate also.
  • AdsAds Posts: 37,056
    Forum Member
    Yes it must have been a very traumatic experience but how stupid do you have to be to jump into a deep freeze lorry?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Possibly because some people who comment on that paper wet their pants at the thoughts of them dying especially the children. :mad:

It's extraordinary. I wonder how that mindset became established and what it is based on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ads wrote: »
    Yes it must have been a very traumatic experience but how stupid do you have to be to jump into a deep freeze lorry?

or desperate?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This comment:

with minus 12 shows the mind set of some of the Daily Mail readership and their beliefs[/QUOTE

It's unbearable. Shameful. I cannot even comprehend it.
    Forum Member
    red tulips wrote: »
    or desperate?

Why not use your sense and jump in the back of a Tescos truck or something not chilled to a tempreature of -22.

Still they can't be that desperate, they were fleeing Afghanistan but ended up in France which is a safe country. They should have claimed asylum there. Are asylum seekers not supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country the enter?
  • The SnakesThe Snakes Posts: 8,940
    Forum Member
    Why are people desperate enough to risk their lives to travel from France to Britain?
  • SilverShredSilverShred Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Why not use your sense and jump in the back of a Tescos truck or something not chilled to a tempreature of -22.

Still they can't be that desperate, they were fleeing Afghanistan but ended up in France which is a safe country. They should have claimed asylum there. Are asylum seekers not supposed to claim asylum in the first safe country the enter?
    Ah, but, France doesn't have a 'Free Bank' like we do here in the UK.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am sure they will be amply rewarded with free housing and benefits for their discomfit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could well be right, and perhaps they should have claimed asylum in France. I'm not hugely familiar with the intricacies of the laws but that sounds reasonable.

Still, in no way a justificaiton in my mind for some of the comments on the article.

I can only speak for myself, but I would have to be pretty desperate to get into such a lorry, unless they had been conned.
    Forum Member
    Give them a cup of soup, and some warm clothes, then put them on the first boat back to France.
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They put themselves in a desperate situation by heading for the UK in the first place. Why not stay in France - or better still stay in whatever country it is they originate from?

We can remove this situation immediately by deporting anyone who has smuggled themselves into the country - no quarter given - off you go - not interested in anything you have to say - back to the last territory you were in before you came here - in most cases that will be France.

The current rules do nothing but encourage these people.
  • SilverShredSilverShred Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    There should be a Zero Tolerance policy towards illegal immigrants making their way here. You get caught, you get shunted back to your last port of call.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad I understand one was a sick baby, but these people will take such risks which sadly end in such tragic consequenses.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you see a difference between an 'asylum seeker' and an 'illegal immigrant?'

And by the rationale of being sent to or stopped in France, would that mean the UK would never receive any asylum seekers? We would offer no safe haven for vulnerable people, even those whose countries were are conducting a war on?
    Forum Member
    cosmo wrote: »
    They put themselves in a desperate situation by heading for the UK in the first place. Why not stay in France - or better still stay in whatever country it is they originate from?

We can remove this situation immediately by deporting anyone who has smuggled themselves into the country - no quarter given - off you go - not interested in anything you have to say - back to the last territory you were in before you came here - in most cases that will be France.

The current rules do nothing but encourage these people.

If they knew they would be deported straight back they wouldn't put themselve in such a stupid position. Also how did they make their way to France, did they pass through other safe EU countries on their way? Why not claim asylum in any of them?

Do you see a difference between an 'asylum seeker' and an 'illegal immigrant?'
    Well you are not an asylum seeker until you claim asylum which you should do as soon as you arrive in a safe country. Until then you are in the country illegally.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well you are not an asylum seeker until you claim asylum which you should do as soon as you arrive in a safe country. Until then you are in the country illegally.[/QUOTE]

Unless you are received by people whose attitude is to simply ship you back regardless.

You are presumed a criminal until you can prove otherwise?
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Snakes wrote: »
    Why are people desperate enough to risk their lives to travel from France to Britain?

I wouldn't want to be an immigrant in France, that's for sure. France is a lot more racist than Britain.
    Forum Member
    Unless you are received by people whose attitude is to simply ship you back regardless.

You are presumed a criminal until you can prove otherwise?

Entering a country illegally is a criminal act, if you enter a country you are subject their their rules. They should have to prove their are in need of genuine asylum otherwise it would make a mockery of the whole system.
    I wouldn't want to be an immigrant in France, that's for sure. France is a lot more racist than Britain.
    I thought they were "desperate"? France is a safe country. Also if they were travelling overland they would have went through other countries, what about Germany or Netherlands?
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    France also has a quality of life far beyond that of Britain. Their country is peaceful and not crowded as we are. Has it not crossed anyone's mind that maybe they are the ones that have it right?
  • A321A321 Posts: 6,363
    Forum Member
    I thought they were "desperate"? France is a safe country. Also if they were travelling overland they would have went through other countries, what about Germany or Netherlands?

I've said this all along. Is it because those countries simply tell them 'NO'. Unlike here?