Options

Due south repeats

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
Forum Member
✭✭
I recently watched the Pilot episode of Due South that I downloaded on Iplayer.

I loved it and have downloaded more episodes.

does anyone know if BBC plan to show the entire series of this.

Is there a contact email address where I can ask the BBC

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,442
    Forum Member
    They are showing the entire series - started last week and seems to be on three or four times a week on BBC2 at 1 pm

Edit: It seems to be one Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you mean all the seasons?
    Or just the first series
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well so far it is the first season, as they will get through the first season pretty quickly I would expect the second season, I don't know if they will then go on to the spin off (also named due south)
  • Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well so far it is the first season, as they will get through the first season pretty quickly I would expect the second season, I don't know if they will then go on to the spin off (also named due south)

LOL It wasn't a spin off.

It was a continuation but with a different 'Ray' and with help from the BBC as the original studio was going to cancel the series.
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    ...as the original studio was going to cancel the series.

Not quite. The producer was CTV in Canada, and to finance the show they got America's CBS involved as a co-producer. CBS DID cancel the show (in the sense of ending their involvement), but since CTV wanted to continue making new episodes for broadcast in Canada they had to go out and get new international co-financing, and the BBC as well as a German broadcaster stepped up and provided some of the money lost because of CBS bailing on the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    LOL It wasn't a spin off.

It was a continuation but with a different 'Ray' and with help from the BBC as the original studio was going to cancel the series.

According to IMDB it is a spin-off, when I was younger I didn't even realise it was cancelled (with only having the four channels you never got shows quickly) so I thought it was a continuation - but they say spin-off not going to argue. Also TV.com also state in the summary it is a spin-off but that there was confusion, because the two series were combined and presented together in the United States as one series with three seasons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    According to IMDB it is a spin-off, when I was younger I didn't even realise it was cancelled (with only having the four channels you never got shows quickly) so I thought it was a continuation - but they say spin-off not going to argue. Also TV.com also state in the summary it is a spin-off but that there was confusion, because the two series were combined and presented together in the United States as one series with three seasons.

Those sources are wrong, and don't trust an American source anyway. Due South is a Canadian show. Americans have no idea what happened. As far as they know there was the CBS network series that lasted two seasons (1994 to 1996) and then it disappeared and came back later in syndication with new episodes and a new Ray, giving rise to the idea that it was a different series. Due South ran for FOUR seasons in Canada on CTV, 1994 to 1999, and the new Ray came in at the start of a new SEASON, season three -- not a new series, let alone a spin-off. Season three was 13 episodes (1997 to 1998) and season four was 13 episodes (1998 to 1999) in Canada. THEN a deal was made to syndicate seasons three and four in America. The Americans didn't want two thirteen episode seasons. They like their 22 episode seasons in the US. So the Americans bought only 22 out of the available 26 episodes and aired that as one season. And since by this time it had been about three years since the show was available at all in the US, American fans started saying "Oh, this is a brand new series. A spin-off."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MoreTears wrote: »
    Those sources are wrong, and don't trust an American source anyway. Due South is a Canadian show. Americans have no idea what happened. As far as they know there was the CBS network series and then it disappeared and came back later in syndication with new episodes and a new Ray, giving rise to the idea that it was a different series. Due South ran straight through in Canada on CTV, and the new Ray came in at a new SEASON -- not a new series, let alone a spin-off.

OK that is fair enough, I tend to think of these sites as to know a bit more about the entertainment industry than the average layman (i.e. myself) so I tend to go by their information, until there is confirmation to the contrary by someone more in the know.

As I said I thought that the show was one continuation series myself, until recently when searching for the show on IMDB, but thought maybe legal issues or some sort had resulted in the creators needing to classify it as a spin-off, or something. As I said don't know what happens in the entertainment world.

As for the original question I do hope they repeat the complete series including the new Ray episodes as I have really gotten into them again - and I am appreciating them on a whole new level as an adult instead of a child.

Edit to add: It didn't run straight through on Canadian TV surely as there was a one year Hiatus, but I assume you mean it didn't go on about making a new series or anything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Edit to add: It didn't run straight through on Canadian TV surely as there was a one year Hiatus, but I assume you mean it didn't go on about making a new series or anything?

I edited my post to include more information.

Yes, there was a one season gap of over a year, but by "straight through" I meant CTV put new episodes on TV in every CALENDAR year (I tend to think of things that way) from 1994 to 1999. The CTV/CBS Due South ended in Spring 1996. With CBS cancelling, CTV took a year to get the BBC and a German broadcaster to agree to co-finance, and the new episodes (Season 3) started on CTV in Fall 1997.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah right cool, sorry missed the edited post :)

OK well I will go back to my original thinking of 4 series of a great show.

And I hope it re-runs the whole lot.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    I would assume they are planning on showing the whole lot because the picture on iPlayer is of the new Ray.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 335
    Forum Member
    Any one know why they're skipping Heaven and Earth which should have been on tomorrow?

As an aside, today's An Invitation to Romance was probably the weakest episode of what has been a stellar repeat run so far....
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tvfanclub wrote: »
    Any one know why they're skipping Heaven and Earth which should have been on tomorrow?

As an aside, today's An Invitation to Romance was probably the weakest episode of what has been a stellar repeat run so far....

Why do you say they aren't showing it? BBC (http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0077yyk) and Radio Times (Radio Times Listing) both list this episode at 1pm tomorrow.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish British policemen were as good at their job as Benny
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I hope they don't mess about with the order.

Somehow I've always managed to miss the 2-part Victoria's Secret of previous runs of the series (and All The Queen's Horses/Red White & Blue. Never seen them) so I've set the V+ for Thursday/Friday when these are supposed to be on, at least according to the EPG.

Don't want to miss them again!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for that. Just realised my mistake - had diary dated Victoria's secret using the IMDB database here http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108756/episodes#season-1 but it gives the eps out of sequence. Thanks for clearing that up. Just hope I can get to a TV on Friday lunchtime :)

Had forgotten I'd spent a large part of the 90s in love with Paul Gross.

His follow on show, Slings and Arrows, is also great if anyone hasn't seen it.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well now I wish they had skipped out that 'Heaven and Earth' episode now, what a ridiculous story. They actually played out a 'man capable of psychic visions' plot. Oh boy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bosox wrote: »
    Well now I wish they had skipped out that 'Heaven and Earth' episode now, what a ridiculous story. They actually played out a 'man capable of psychic visions' plot. Oh boy.

I guess it wasn't great but I still liked it a LOT more than Invitation to Romance. I just wanted to slap Jenna Moroney (or whatever the actress's real name is) every time she appeared!
  • Options
    tarotangeltarotangel Posts: 1,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I'd forgotten how much I used to love this series. Very much the cheering up I've been needing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    tarotangel wrote: »
    I have to say I'd forgotten how much I used to love this series. Very much the cheering up I've been needing.

Well stick around for the next 2 eps. I confess that I knew that I wouldn't be able to watch on Thursday and Friday lunchtimes and went back to my old boxset. I've saved the second episode for tonight but the first one is fantastic :)
  • Options
    TouristaTourista Posts: 14,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, got 6 on the Freeview + box, so will sit down tonight with some munchies and enjoy....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great run of episodes coming up...the unforgettable two parter "Victoria's Secret", then "Letting Go" before the legendary season two opener "North" next Tuesday.

I was a massive fan back when Due South was first shown, and am loving it every bit as much now. The Fraser/Vecchio pairing is one of my all time favourite TV bromances. Plus I get to finally record it onto DVD, which is saving me a lot of money having to buy the box sets!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JG600 wrote: »
    Great run of episodes coming up...the unforgettable two parter "Victoria's Secret", then "Letting Go" before the legendary season two opener "North" next Tuesday.

I was a massive fan back when Due South was first shown, and am loving it every bit as much now. The Fraser/Vecchio pairing is one of my all time favourite TV bromances. Plus I get to finally record it onto DVD, which is saving me a lot of money having to buy the box sets!

Yes I was really disappointed that there were no extras at all on the box set - would love to hear some Paul Gross/Paul Haggis audio commentaries. And some deef outtakes :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have occasionally considered getting the boxsets, but up until recently they've been prohibitively expensive...at one point they were asking over one hundred pounds for the complete series. They seem to be coming down in price now but they'd need a lot more extras for me to consider buying them. I'm a sucker for a great commentary!

I'm hoping that they carry on with the repeats as I'd really like to give the Kowalski episodes another go, as I couldnt get into them last time around...I missed Vecchio too much!
  • Options
    Pacman1854Pacman1854 Posts: 1,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭