Genuine shocks in soaps

JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
Forum Member
✭✭
Can we list some? I was trying to think of whodunits in soaps that were truly kept secret until the reveal (not being spoilt in any way even by hawks like us who can trawl through press sites etc).

My immediate thought is Who Shot Phil in EastEnders - No one knew it was Lisa, in fact many people genuinely discounted her as she was such a long shot compared to Steve et al. This was kept a total secret - he was shot to 17 million viewers and Lisa's reveal was seen by 19.8 million. {Edit: ...lol. I have just found this article which says "thousands were spoiled" by an email... but the masses weren't and t'was amazing!}

Stacey being Archie's killer was another proper secret. Literally no one knew that.

Was Carl King's death spoiled before the Emmerdale 40th in any way shape or form before transmission?

Be interested to hear others, I'm sure there's some more.

Comments

• Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think anyone knew Theresa killed Calvin in Hollyoaks
  • Paul WilsonPaul Wilson Posts: 5,108
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with the Phil/Lisa one. No-one it seemed expected it to be her, and yet somehow it kind of worked.
    For me Grant slapping Peggy was a total 'Wowzers' moment. It shouldn't have been because apparently Kemp and Windsor were on GMTV talking about the storyline, but for once I managed to miss the spoilers.
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved the Lisa reveal. I remember watching the scene when it showed Phil knocking on the door and all of the suspects going to answer it. :D

Completely contrived but brilliant at the same time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved the Lisa reveal; I thought it was Steve's mum oddly.

The murder of Lyndsey Nolan in Hollyoaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I remember rightly, Dan and Steve were the other suspects. That was one of Eastenders best every storylines IMO

Pity they can't finish Philth off for good though- he seems to be the Bionic Man
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who killed archie to as i dont think anyone suspected stacy
  • Joe_ZelJoe_Zel Posts: 20,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    Who killed archie to as i dont think anyone suspected stacy

I remember the constant threads on this forum around the time of the anniversary and I think a lot of people predicted Stacey.
  • adamski94adamski94 Posts: 3,042
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joe_Zel wrote: »
    I remember the constant threads on this forum around the time of the anniversary and I think a lot of people predicted Stacey.

Really? It came as a massive shock to me
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Tram Crash in Corrie, I thought it was shocking then when the other end of the tram crashed into the kabin, that shocked me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    adamski94 wrote: »
    Really? It came as a massive shock to me

And me :D

Bradley's death was so well done though I thought. I genuinely didn't expect that :(
  • walford-e20walford-e20 Posts: 6,554
    Forum Member
    Joe_Zel wrote: »

This. With Bradley rumoured to die Stacey was my number one suspect when the episode aired, with Peggy number two and Roxy number three.
  • bwfcolbwfcol Posts: 13,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The who serial killer storyline in Hollyoaks a long time ago. It was Ellie Ashworth's boyfriend (I think), he kept killing blonde girls
  • attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also who's the daddy of Heathers baby, not expecting it to be Darren Miller. (Cringe).
  • IanMandyIanMandy Posts: 14,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janines exit at Christmas, expected her to flee
  • basdfgbasdfg Posts: 6,764
    Forum Member
    Who Killed Archie as nothing solid leaked.
    Carl's death in Emmerdale was predicted by this forum. I think it was known he was leaving as well.
  • AndybearAndybear Posts: 11,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadrack Dingle in Emmerdale dying. I knew he had a major alcohol problem and the doctor said it could kill him. But I didn't know he'd actually die until it happened.
  • pixxyypixxyy Posts: 1,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James J wrote: »
    Can we list some? I was trying to think of whodunits in soaps that were truly kept secret until the reveal (not being spoilt in any way even by hawks like us who can trawl through press sites etc).

My immediate thought is Who Shot Phil in EastEnders - No one knew it was Lisa, in fact many people genuinely discounted her as she was such a long shot compared to Steve et al. This was kept a total secret - he was shot to 17 million viewers and Lisa's reveal was seen by 19.8 million. {Edit: ...lol. I have just found this article which says "thousands were spoiled" by an email... but the masses weren't and t'was amazing!}

I worked that 1 out on the Day it was shown, as they had Lucy Benjamin on the live ch4 show with Zoe Ball same day. So I was like well it has to be lol

I like being surprised though, as nowdays we know whats happening so go " well nothing big is happening this ep so i'll miss it"
    Which imo is another reason for viewing figures going down
  • EastenderstreetEastenderstreet Posts: 3,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynsey Nolan's death and as well Heidi Costello's death were two that shocked me! :O
  • wuffleswuffles Posts: 45,765
    Forum Member
    The revelation that Carl King killed his father came as a big shock.
  • BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynsey Nolans death was completely unpredicted
  • mrsfojmrsfoj Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    I was going to say heathers baby but Darren was my prime suspect.
  • Vicks-LouiseVicks-Louise Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know I am wrong in saying this because I've since found out it was well known to viewers but being 11/12 at the time the Kat/Zoe/Harry thing shocked me - I didn't use Internet spoiler forums at the time and not really knowing particularly much if anything at all about rape and particularly rape by a family member I remember being shocked by the whole thing, I may well have known Kat was her mother (though I do not remember knowing) but Harry being her dad and Zoe being the product of rape was most certainly a whole new thing for me but as I say I've since read it wasn't as big of a secret as my mind recalls because Kat made it perfectly clear what was what I am lead to believe
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lynsey Nolan's death
    Heidi Costello's death- superb twist
    Clare Devine's death
    Riley Costello's death
    Lisa being revealed as Phil Mitchell's would-be assassin
    Jane Beale's surprise return
    Steve McDonald's phone call to social services about Max
    Kylie's return during the tram crash
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duplicate
  • JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Emily's bludgeoning/Maxine's murder in Corrie leaked beforehand in the press? I guess people knew she was leaving so it was obvious? :confused: It was promoted as a whodunnit wasn't it. My memory is so patchy in places.

I remember watching the episode and thinking Emily was the one, and being shocked at Maxine dying - but then I don't know if I'd have felt differently if I'd been looking through TV guides/the internet?

{EDIT: Just found this gem of an article about the 2003 Corrie murder from the BBC News archives: "I'd have been enthralled if the papers hadn't ruined it by giving away the plot. As it was, it was too predictable to shock the way it should have." Hilarious comments on that article as well make me wish forums existed forever: "I was enthralled yet disgusted at last night's episodes of Coronation Street. I had to watch, then afterwards wished I hadn't because I couldn't sleep worrying that somebody was going to burst into my bedroom with a crowbar!! Should have been shown after 9pm I thought." Aww :D}