Basmati rice disaster

Comments

• Her IndoorsHer Indoors Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    Isn't it funny how we all have our own way of cooking rice?

Here's mine...

I never wash it.
    1 part rice,2 parts boiling water,into a pan with a lid. Bring back to the boil,then a very low simmer till you notice most of the water is absorbed,then turn off the heat and leave it alone for 20 minutes.
    I don't touch the rice until it's finished.

Result is fluffy,separate grains of rice.

I think that the main problem with cooking rice is stirring it. This causes the starch to leave the grain and the result can be a mushy mess. (Apologies if this has already been mentioned,not read the whole thread).

HTH. :)
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    breppo wrote: »
    I buy Lidl Golden Sun Basmati.

Currently going for £1.69 per Kg, down from £1.99. I don't know how long the offer is because it's not advertised on their site or in the leaflet, but I'm guessing Wednesday will be the last day it's going for that price.

I go through loads of it. Just as good as Tilda and less than half the price even without this special offer.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think its poor quality rice.

in my experience, good quality rice, like uncle bens stays firm for a few minutes around the "done" point. cheaper rices go glutinous as soon as they are overcooked.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    I think its poor quality rice.

in my experience, good quality rice, like uncle bens stays firm for a few minutes around the "done" point. cheaper rices go glutinous as soon as they are overcooked.

Sorry, did you just say Uncle Bens rice was 'good quality'?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My god, some of you go to great lengths to cook your rice!

1) Fill a large pan with lots of water
    2) Boil water
    3) Add rice
    4) Simmer, tasting occasionally until it's ready
    5) Optional: if you can be bothered, after straining rinse with hot water from the kettle [edit: this refers to the rice, not to oneself. Just thought I'd better mention that for the avoidance of doubt, mess and general unpleasantness]

I don't measure or time anything and it hasn't gone wrong in twenty years or so.

+1

This method works perfectly for basmati rice and is foolproof. You can always put it in a microwave for a few minutes afterwards to remove any excess liquid for really fluffy rice.

EDIT for the OP. you need to keep testing from around 6-7 minutes to make sure the rice doesn't go over so I suspect you are just overcooking the rice.

The trouble with the absorption method is that each batch of rice is different so it's almost impossible to get the ratio of water to rice exactly correct.
  • pink star 28pink star 28 Posts: 1,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Get the microwave bags. 2 mins perfect rice
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Get the microwave bags. 2 mins perfect rice
    Price is a factor.
    Frozen or microwave ready rice is expensive compared to bog standard bags of rice.

Also, the packs of rice that come in portion packs are enough for two meals for me so I could end up wasting half of my money on them.
  • Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it whenever I cook basmati rice, it always ends up a sloppy mush?

I always rinse under cold water for a long time to remove as much starch as possible.
    I then bring a pan of water to the boil.
    Put the rice into the pan of boiling water.
    When boiling again, simmer for around 10 minutes.

Result = sloppy mush!

There is plenty of water left in the pan when finished so it's not down to a lack of water.

The uncovered, unmeasured method of cooking rice is great for basmati, so don't feel you have to change to a different method if this one suits.

It does sounds like you may be simmering too hard, though. Like potatoes, rice needs to be cooked quite gently to avoid breakage. Make sure there is plenty of room in the pot too.

Also no need to pre-rinse if you are buying small branded bags of rice. Pre-rinsing was to rid the rice of impurities and polishings, not to remove starch. If you can't give up the rinse, then just give it half a minute under a cold tap tops - you will never get a clear run of water, nor would you want to.

For full-proof* unsticky rice, you could pre-fry the rice in a couple of teaspoons of olive oil before adding the boiling water.

*If all else fails, try another brand of rice. Sometimes it is not you, it's the brand.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Granny ^-^

This is how I do mine, and it's perfect every time, no matter which brand...

Do not wash the rice. This releases starch which will make it go sticky.
    For each cup of rice add two cups of water. Heat on high until boiling. Turn down to a medium-low heat, cover and gently simmer until it looks almost cooked (or taste some).
    Turn heat off, and leave covered to 'rest' and steam for another 5-10 mins.

Do NOT stir whilst it is cooking!
  • Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genuinely don't understand how people struggle to cook rice, it's one of the easiest things to cook.

With Basmati rice sometimes I cook off an onion in butter, throw in some cardomom pods, a cinnamon stick, some cloves and some saffron. Throw the rice in and let it get coated in the butter before filling up with water. Cover it and let it simmer until the water is absorbed, then leave covered for five minutes off the heat. Perfect Pilau Rice, it comes out just like the stuff you get in a proper restaurant.
  • niceguy1966niceguy1966 Posts: 29,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read the instructions on the packet. Some of you are making this a lot more difficult than it needs to be!
  • eva_prioreva_prior Posts: 2,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wash one mug of rice whilst two mugs of water is being boiled in a kettle.

Bung both rice and water into a saucepan to boil with lid on.

AS SOON AS THEY COME TO THE BOIL SWITCH HEAT OFF.

leave with lid on for fifteen minutes.

Enjoy fluffy rice.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    eva_prior wrote: »
    Wash one mug of rice whilst two mugs of water is being boiled in a kettle.

Bung both rice and water into a saucepan to boil with lid on.

AS SOON AS THEY COME TO THE BOIL SWITCH HEAT OFF.

leave with lid on for fifteen minutes.

Enjoy fluffy rice.

I will definitely be keen to try this easy ** Fluffy rice ** method next time I cook some rice :p
    thanks x
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will definitely be keen to try this easy ** Fluffy rice ** method next time I cook some rice :p
    thanks x

Works with fresh and dried pasta, too - just leave for ten minutes, and no need to wash pasta of-course!

Ooh and same method for boiled spuds.

Don't forget to add salt into water to taste.
  • ChoccyCaroleChoccyCarole Posts: 8,867
    Forum Member
    Works with fresh and dried pasta, too - just leave for ten minutes, and no need to wash pasta of-course!

Wow ...... thanks so much eva_prior ........ for all your tips
    ALL will be tried :p:p:p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow ...... thanks so much eva_prior ........ for all your tips
    ALL will be tried :p:p:p

Your mushy rice/pasta/spuds days are now well and truly behind you ChoccyCarole.....

Pre-emptive strike/response - 'Oh yes they are' !
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made a curry with rice today and the rice was cooked to perfection this time!

I used one part rice to 2 parts water.
    After rinsing the rice well, I boiled the water and then put the rice in the pan, placing the lid on and simmered until all the water had gone. About 10 minutes.

So from now on, I will always get it right.

I suspect I was using far too much water and the rice was becoming mushy because of that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made a curry with rice today and the rice was cooked to perfection this time!

I used one part rice to 2 parts water.
    After rinsing the rice well, I boiled the water and then put the rice in the pan, placing the lid on and simmered until all the water had gone. About 10 minutes.

So from now on, I will always get it right.

I suspect I was using far too much water and the rice was becoming mushy because of that.

Yay!

And what did you make for pud GG?
  • GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing. :(

I meant to buy some mango swirl ice cream from Tesco, but forgot but everyone was pretty well stuffed anyway. :)

Even though I forgot the ice cream it was still a success. My family couldn't get enough of the curry and there is plenty left for tomorrow and some to be frozen.

I always cook for an army and waste nothing.
  • stevensdrsstevensdrs Posts: 1,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rice should not be washed before cooking.

An easy method is 2 put 1 cup of rice to two parts of boiling water with a pinch of salt. Simmer gently for 5 minutes until rice is "al-dente" Do not stir during cooking time.
    Remove from heat and drain off any remaining water. Put the rice in a microwave rice container and microwave for 2 minutes. Perfect rice every time. :)
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    What's the point of using two methods?

Either cook it on the hob or cook it in the microwave.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

PS. The ratio of water to pasta should be five to one, and excess water will need to be drained.
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1 cup of basmalti to 2 cups of water.

Do not stir. Keep lid off until the water is boiling, then turn to simmer and put the lid on. Leave on until all the water is gone and leave the led on for a further 10 mins to steam.

Perfect every time :D
  • WombatDeathWombatDeath Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all completely mad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're all completely mad.

Thanks WD...............*polishes 'completely mad' trophy and admires same with deep pride.* (copyright acknowledgement iirc to JesuLeChop)

On a serious note, humans consume more rice than any other form of carbohydrate. So it's useful to be able to cook it properly.