Bring Back Brucie

Comments

• Bonnie ScotlandBonnie Scotland Posts: 2,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tbh i'm disappointed they didn't replace brucie within another man, for no 'agenda driven' reason, just cause i think a man and woman is a good balance on a show like this.
  • Tall PaulTall Paul Posts: 8,786
    Forum Member
    It flows so much better without him dithering away.

I think that its not so much about the presenters, its about the celebs. This years set of celebs are unknown compared to last year. The ratings reflect not really on Forsyth, but because its against TXF. You have to admit sir bruce did hog the limelight as if it were. It was time for him to move on, still expect SCD to beat TXF though. :)
  • yesman2012yesman2012 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where is he anyway?
  • ChrissieAOChrissieAO Posts: 5,143
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    The show isn't the same without Bruce, although his jokes were awful. The show last night didn't have any sparkle, and I think it is because having two women host the show is fairly odd. I think a man/woman combo always works better.

I agree absolutely. In fact, I think Anton would make a really good presenter!
  • *Liya**Liya* Posts: 5,978
    Forum Member
    I don;t want Brucie back but the show does need a male presenter. Claudia is best suited to the backstage bit and i really miss her on ITT. Zoe Ball is unbearable.
  • Winchester LadyWinchester Lady Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh no! Definitely so much better without BF! I agree a male presenter would be better with Tess but not someone camp or egotistical like the names mentioned above. Personally I find Claudia tiresome but she seems to be popular so I'd graciously allow her to stay...
  • ElsaElsa Posts: 3,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lealeeds wrote: »
    It needs an anchor and Tess is too lightweight.
    Anton is the man

I second! She didn't bother me last night but I felt the flop sweat tonight from Tess. Claudia's great because she's witty - so is Anton, and he has great confidence and presence - Tess just isn't quick-witted enough (she also lacks confidence and is trying too hard at the moment, but she'd always be dull, even if she settled in)
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The two of them are putting me off watching. Maybe it's because I'm female but I think it needs a man for the job.
    Anton would have been a much better choice
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Frank Mag wrote: »
    The show flows so much better with Tess and Claudia and to make us all feel at home Tess gave us the Brucie bonus of Mark 'No Mates' Wright :)

Not to mention being late back onto the floor to greet one couple .....

Had that been Bruce, this forum would have gone into meltdown. But it does demonstrate that on live shows, things go wrong and sometimes the mouth works ahead of the brain.
  • mrs gogginsmrs goggins Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    curvybabes wrote: »
    Love Claudia not so keen on Tess but prefer them to Bruce 😊

My view exactly.
  • MerityMerity Posts: 933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Claudia was back on form last night.
    Tess is still not good.
    Anton and Claudia would make a great presenting team.
    Both quick witted and funny....:)
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Arnold1 wrote: »
    All these people here saying how much better it is without Bruce yet the viewing figures are a million down from last year.
    It isn't that simple. It's the first show; it was split over two nights; in a year viewers change - some new ones will be watching and some old ones won't even be alive; some will just think the shows got no appeal any more, no matter who the presenters are; some will have looked at the list of celebs and decided they don't like/have heard of any of them.

Two or three shows in will give an indication if it's as successful as previous years, not the introductory one.
  • humbug333humbug333 Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NO NO No Not Zoe Ball please. she just gushes all the time and is always wonderfully insincere. They want someone with humour. Bradley Walsh would be good or Rob Brydon. someone with quick wit. ... Like Brucie was about 40 years ago..
  • Liza with a ZeeLiza with a Zee Posts: 1,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love Brucie and do miss him. I do love Claudia with the contestants though she's natural and so funny. I don't mind Tess at all either. Don't like both girls presenting it though it doesn't work. There needs to be someone like Bruce who can work the audience. Tess can't do that it needs to be a former standup or cabaret act. Des O'Connner may be good
  • Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    humbug333 wrote: »
    NO NO No Not Zoe Ball please. she just gushes all the time and is always wonderfully insincere. They want someone with humour. Bradley Walsh would be good or Rob Brydon. someone with quick wit. ... Like Brucie was about 40 years ago..

Bradley Walsh would be my choice.
  • SliverOfDiamondSliverOfDiamond Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Merity wrote: »
    The show lost its sparkle without Brucie.
    Tess and Claudia, lovely though they are, just dont have the "star quality" to front a show like Strictly - not on their own.
    Maybe they will settle in over time - but the show lost something without Bruce. :(

I agree, the two shows have been just flat, no sparkle at all. I'm afraid Tess is trying too hard, all that forced bonhomie really isn't coming over very well, to me anyway.

I fast forwarded through just as much as usual, in fact more, because I also tried to get rid of the Tess parts, where she was greeting the dancers after they'd performed, because that got embarrassing.

This show is getting to be very short for me, I watched last night's in about 15 minutes before bed, if it carries on being this bad, I probably won't bother. Same thing happened to DOI, which very sensibly pulled the plug.

It needs someone like Bruce with star quality, and an ability to connect with a live audience, (unfortunately, that usually coincides with an ego as large as Jupiter, because it's that "Look at Me, listen to ME!" thing that promotes star quality and keeps the audience focused) I'm afraid that Tess just doesn't have it.

Claudia is perfect doing what she does, although I'd prefer her to revert back to her old quirky self, not really liking the new style.
  • A_SmurfA_Smurf Posts: 74
    Forum Member
    Much perfer the show without Bruce. He was great in the first few series but his time to step down was long overdue. Especially with his comic timing and the awkward jokes before the training VT's just made me cringe. The dances go by faster without him and all the judges get a word in edge ways for a change. Tess and Claudia are a good paring and they worked well on the weeks that Bruce took off over the years. Claudia looked a little nervous on Friday night but I think it was because it was her first full time show and it was going to be permanent so she was trying a little too hard but she was much more settled last night.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was very tired of Bruce's presentational style and prefer the new format. That said, I can see how Anton might work well in the role; personally I'd have liked Graham Norton - he's stepped into Wogan's shoes very neatly presenting Eurovision.

Graham Norton would have been my choice as well. I don't think Tess is quick-witted enough to front something like Strictly. Graham and Claudia would have been a great combination.
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but I think Michael McIntyre would have been ok as well. Or, if you want two females, Miranda Hart..she loves the show.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Graham Norton would have been my choice as well. I don't think Tess is quick-witted enough to front something like Strictly. Graham and Claudia would have been a great combination.
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but I think Michael McIntyre would have been ok as well. Or, if you want two females, Miranda Hart..she loves the show.

The problem I have with all the suggestions both male & female is the presentation style. The show becomes about the personality presenting & not the celebrities dancing. Tess for all her blandness does the introductions proficiently if somewhat stiffly, yet does not take the focus from "the stars of the show". Whilst Claudia is much nicer as the after dance quick quote bit.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monaogg wrote: »
    The problem I have with all the suggestions both male & female is the presentation style. The show becomes about the personality presenting & not the celebrities dancing. Tess for all her blandness does the introductions proficiently if somewhat stiffly, yet does not take the focus from "the stars of the show". Whilst Claudia is much nicer as the after dance quick quote bit.

Yes, I get your point. But with a show as big as Strictly, I do think it becomes about the presenter(s) as well. It's the whole "experience" for the general viewer, and I do think a big personality fronting the show attracts more viewers.
    I agree, at this stage it matters less. It's almost an advantage to have a presenter who just gets on with it without much banter, they are working to a tight schedule. But later in the series I think you need someone with a bit more charisma and wit.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I get your point. But with a show as big as Strictly, I do think it becomes about the presenter(s) as well. It's the whole "experience" for the general viewer, and I do think a big personality fronting the show attracts more viewers.
    I agree, at this stage it matters less. It's almost an advantage to have a presenter who just gets on with it without much banter, they are working to a tight schedule. But later in the series I think you need someone with a bit more charisma and wit.

I must admit I did like the way it allowed every judge to comment after every dance - but not only that give time for better comments with seemed to be actually constructive rather than just necklace/thumbs/welly.

For me, the presenter is just there to keep things moving - and it did. If we can't get Tom Bergeron in a 2 for 1 offer with Tristan, I'm happy enough with how it's shaping up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bring Back Brucie

Heavens no. Much prefer the show without his posturing, although I could do without Tessa who's another poseur who think they are God's gift to the universe.
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Surely the show thrives on its own merit now, so does not need a "name" to hang it off.
  • tortoisepersontortoiseperson Posts: 3,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, please don't ^_^
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long is each dance? 2and a half minutes? At the very most 3 minutes.

So- If you take Fridays show, 18 minutes maximum (I suspect a little less) was dancing, and 40 minutes (allow 2 minutes worth of trailers before the news) is 'other things'

So- it stands to reason that the 40 minutes that isn't dancing MUST also be entertaining- since it is two thirds of the programme. Therefore the interaction between host and judges IS important and IS a vital component. Those that want no friction at all, but just straightforward, uninterrupted judging, may think that is a great idea, but now you have got it you can see how flat it has become. Bruce interrupting and stirring it a bit kept the judging segment alive.

And whilst I respect those who want it to be a serious contest, with the best dancer winning, it's never only been about that- Otherwise why did the viewers keep saving John sergeant and Anne widdecombe? It's prime time Saturday and I want to be entertained ALL the time the programme is on- not just the 30% when someone is actually dancing.