Terrible show tonight/

scout2006scout2006 Posts: 7,084
Forum Member
The musical choices and the props were quite awful tonight and on top of it all the ridiculous Donny Osmond as guest judge >:( Quite possible the worst SCD show I can remember.

Comments

• Stupid_HeadStupid_Head Posts: 37,826
    Forum Member
    What connection does Donny have to movies anyway? If they wanted a guest judge for the theme surely they'd try and get a movie star?
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I couldn't see anything wrong with the show tonight, thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • dayglodayglo Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thoroughly enjoyed it tonight too.
  • GlinnyGlinny Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I totally agree the show was awful. What was the point of Donny Osmond other than being totally over the top with his comments and scores.

Have to admit I am not liking this series. Was not a Brucie fan and he did get on my nerves a lot but the Tess and Claudia duo are positively doing my head in.
    They are so unprofessional acting like a couple of giggling schoolgirls all the time.

The pro dancers are not as good as previous years.

Think I need to stop watching as tonight I did nothing but pick holes in the show constantly.

Such a shame as I was a huge fan.
  • via_487via_487 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed it. :)
  • teeswolfteeswolf Posts: 3,946
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing show tonight. Great fun from start to finish and Frankie best ever week 3 dance I've seen.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    It was front-loaded with duff dancing but, suspect scheduling aside, I thought the show was up to par for a theme week.
  • PinkDiamondPinkDiamond Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was a great show. Not impressed by Donny, but enjoyed lots of the dances.
  • MissMidgardMissMidgard Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member
    I ended up feeling like I wanted to change the channel before it finished, and I have never done that.

Donny was loud, brash and felt at odds with the general tone of the show (there's British camp, then there's American camp). His overscoring was also frustrating.

The second half of the show was clearly loaded with decent couples to keep the potential wanderers tuned in. Placing Mark at the end was a ridiculous choice and brought the end of the show down like a lead balloon.

The theme was strained and forced, with some truly terrible music choices. Even the costumes looked poor tonight.

Tonight was honestly the least fun I've ever had watching SCD.
  • peevepeeve Posts: 3,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved it!

I'm not generally a fan of the themed weeks as they tend to shoehorn inappropriate songs into dances, but I thought the music choices were excellent tonight. I particularly enjoyed Frankie & Kevin's Puerto Rican Paso, Pixie & Trent's lyrical Quickstep, Jake & Janette's moody and menacing Waltz, Sunetra & Brendan's American Smooth (lovely choreo, Brendan) and Caroline & Pasha's technically challenging Rumba.

Tess is getting into her stride now and if she just cut out the attempts at jokes, which are still painful, she'd be fine. Claudia is, as ever, a joy. I enjoyed the judges' comments, which were appropriate and fair. I even thought Donny Osmond added something to the mix. Blimey, I must be in a mellow mood tonight - must go and adjust my medication... ;)
  • tobitobi Posts: 2,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it boring now
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I made the point elsewhere that the music choices were poor.

There's no end of timeless ballroom dance tunes from countless classic film musicals.

Each week we know a lot of the choices are aimed at the X-Factor audience, but tonight was a chance to give us some decent tunes for a change.
    But for one or two recognised show tunes, the choice was poor.
    Just because a tune was recognisable from a movie, doesn't make it a good dance tune.
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    At 2 hours plus, I got bored tonight. The dancing was poor for the most part, the judging was a joke, Donny Osmond just shouted all the time, and some of the costumes were :o.

I turned over in the final third. Watching the Germans lose to Poland was far more entertaining.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it. It wasn't hyped up like other years which helped. I enjoyed judges commenting on Mark's paso. Sometimes it happens that they are all having a good time and it comes across and makes me smile.
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    I loved it!

I'm not generally a fan of the themed weeks as they tend to shoehorn inappropriate songs into dances, but I thought the music choices were excellent tonight. I particularly enjoyed Frankie & Kevin's Puerto Rican Paso, Pixie & Trent's lyrical Quickstep, Jake & Janette's moody and menacing Waltz, Sunetra & Brendan's American Smooth (lovely choreo, Brendan) and Caroline & Pasha's technically challenging Rumba.

Tess is getting into her stride now and if she just cut out the attempts at jokes, which are still painful, she'd be fine. Claudia is, as ever, a joy. I enjoyed the judges' comments, which were appropriate and fair. I even thought Donny Osmond added something to the mix. Blimey, I must be in a mellow mood tonight - must go and adjust my medication... ;)

I agree with more or less everything you say. Donny was a bit erratic with his scoring but I think he scored too high at the beginning and had nowhere to go from then on. He actually did give some helpful advice to quite a few of the celebs. Mark was unintentionally hilarious but Simon shot himself in the foot by not showing a little bit of humility when he was criticised. Love Claudia, mad as a box of frogs. ;-)
  • bigbro24bigbro24 Posts: 11,987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was cheap. Cheap props, cheesy music. Last week i can't remember who it was but it looked like he'd gone thrift shopping for his suit.
  • Maggie 55Maggie 55 Posts: 2,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great show.

Maggie
  • An ThropologistAn Thropologist Posts: 39,854
    Forum Member
    I usually loath themed weeks so I had low expectations. But I rather enjoyed the show (Donny aside). Given that it was a themed week I thought the music choices were tolerable and some actually quite good. I also thought they were staggeringly constrained in the prop department which was a refreshing surprise for movie week.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed it Donny scores were too high that was the only thing that annoyed me
  • VeriVeri Posts: 96,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peeve wrote: »
    I loved it!

I agree with most of what you say. I liked the same dances; I agree about Tess and Claudia, and about not being a fan of the themed weeks. But though I thought it was fairly good for a themed week, I didn't love it, and I don't think Donny worked well as a judge. (Still, it was mostly just a few of his comments and marks that were a problem.)

It felt awfully long, and I think it was let down by having so many poor dances at the start. Normally, the first dance is one that will get the audience in a good mood, and then good or otherwise entertaining dances are frequent enough to keep the mood up.

Perhaps the producers were misled by all the gushing praise for Alison's performances into thinking that having her at the start would do the job. It didn't.
  • fatskiafatskia Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought the Beneath the Sea, Superman, Mama Mia and whatever it was Judy was dancing to were all bad choices.

Donny talked sense on Friday night but seems to have problems with the British number system. Maybe he was scoring in dollars?

And most of the VTs were naff.

Good choreography from Brendan, Kevin, Trent, and Ola. And Pasha, though maybe it was just slightly too difficult for Caroline.

Claudia up to her usual good standard and the other judges were OKish - as was Tess.
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I usually loath themed weeks so I had low expectations. But I rather enjoyed the show (Donny aside). Given that it was a themed week I thought the music choices were tolerable and some actually quite good. I also thought they were staggeringly constrained in the prop department which was a refreshing surprise for movie week.

Apart from the skiff :o
  • Mrs SprattMrs Spratt Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did feel terribly long, which is weird because without Brucie's long jokes and pauses it should feel shorter.

It was good to have less "fahffing abaft" with props at the start of the dances but it still somehow felt as if everything was taking a dreadfully long time.
  • bendymixerbendymixer Posts: 18,628
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didnt really mind the show tonight but felt a bit underwhelmed but what I have noticed from last week is that on the twitter I run (@SCD2014UK) had over 2,000 new followers last week with hundreds of notifications etc this week only about 400 and all seems a bit quiet
  • mollsshewrotemollsshewrote Posts: 486
    Forum Member
    Substandard show this week. Thought Trent's choreography was, for the second week running, different class. Sunetra and Brendan's dance was classy too. Frankie was very good but didn't like the routine, bit samey and uneventful. Caroline is Miss Consistent but tends to fade into the background.