Options

Coca Cola are robbing us

big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
Forum Member
✭✭
I've just noticed that coca cola have now started to sell 1.75 litre bottles of Coke, the thing is they are more expensive than the 2 litre bottles (which they don't have in the supermarkets)

I asked a member of staff in the co-op if they has any 2 litre bottles and she said coca cola have discontinued them.

This is daylight robbery. They are saving produce and making money in the process.

The 2 litre bottles were£2.09 and the 1.75 litre bottles are now £2.39 .

Comments

• Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Business in trying to make more money shock.
  • Options
    Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They aren't robbing us, as you don't have to buy it.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Switch to Pepsi. That will show them.
  • Options
    RiDsTeRRiDsTeR Posts: 12,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most places I go to they are £1.75 or two for £2.00 which ain't too bad.
  • Options
    muggins14muggins14 Posts: 61,844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as supermarkets often sell the same thing for a different price, surely they decide on the pricing (as they have already paid Coca Cola for the product surely .... I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong .. or even if I'm right ;))

The answer is not to buy the item if you aren't happy with the price, it's not an essential.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It happens to a huge range of products. I buy veggie sausages which used to fit in the plastic tray they're sold in. Then they shrank a bit, so I emailed the company to warn them about their shrinking products. Oddly, no reply. They've shrunk again since, and are beginning to look a bit foolish in their giant packaging.

A ton of companies do it, not just Coca Cola.
  • Options
    PictoPicto Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when Wagon Wheels used to be the size of a bicycle wheel.
  • Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They aren't robbing us, as you don't have to buy it.

I know but I just wanted a rant........ I'd buy Pepsi but I love and think I'm addicted to cherry coke.
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just noticed that coca cola have now started to sell 1.75 litre bottles of Coke, the thing is they are more expensive than the 2 litre bottles (which they don't have in the supermarkets)

I asked a member of staff in the co-op if they has any 2 litre bottles and she said coca cola have discontinued them.

This is daylight robbery. They are saving produce and making money in the process.

If you buy four 1.75l bottles it works out cheaper.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picto wrote: »
    I saw a packet in the garage the other day, I had to laugh at the slogan on them 'size does matter' ... couldn't help but wonder at the kids asking what's so funny about that :D Hardly a family-friendly slogan :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know but I just wanted a rant........ I'd buy Pepsi but I love and think I'm addicted to cherry coke.
    I love Coke too, now I'm diabetic I have to admit I really miss it, Diet Coke is just not the same (nor any of their other sugar-free options) :(
  • Options
    jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    I love Coke too, now I'm diabetic I have to admit I really miss it, Diet Coke is just not the same (nor any of their other sugar-free options) :(
    Have you tried the new green coke?
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member

Did you walk miles barefoot in the snow to get them ;-):p:kitty:
  • Options
    Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The green coke still has quite a lot of sugar - 17g per 250ml, as opposed to 26 in normal coke.
  • Options
    calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or you were the size of a six year old! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    everytime i buy 2 litres , i always end up leaving about quarter of bottle anyway and throw it out ..
    so 1.75l means id waste less, so its a good thing
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jzee wrote: »
    Have you tried the new green coke?
    Yep, this new sweetener is the new big thing. They now have 3 types of diet Coke, not sure what the point is - are they saying the other 2 aren't as good? :D

ETA: Same with Colgate, a new kind of toothpaste every day, are they saying their other products are crap? :D;) I know, many products do it, it's getting ridiculous.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think when they first introduced the new 1.75 l size, they kept the price low but now that the 2 l bottles are gone they'll feel free to raise the prices back up. Many products have 'shrunk' though, not just Coke. I think it might be because manufacturers feel that continuing to raise the price will mean losing customers, so if they keep the prices the same but shrink the product, they're increasing their margins without upsetting their target market. You'll still see some price hikes of course, but shrinkage is a bit more devious and less obvious to the consumer. You'll sometimes see it disguised as 'new and improved!', 'new recipe', or 'more convenient size!', but it boils down to a better profit margin for the manufacturer.
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Penguins were really furry.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In most supermarkets the 1.75 litre bottles are £1.85... It's the co-op who are charging a ridiculous price for them, not cola cola.

They're on 2 for £2 in Tesco at the moment.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A similar thing happened with tins of tuna fish. They used to be 185 grams each but some brands reduced them to 160 grams without changing the price.
  • Options
    PrincessTTPrincessTT Posts: 4,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    muggins14 wrote: »
    Yep, this new sweetener is the new big thing. They now have 3 types of diet Coke, not sure what the point is - are they saying the other 2 aren't as good? :D

ETA: Same with Colgate, a new kind of toothpaste every day, are they saying their other products are crap? :D;) I know, many products do it, it's getting ridiculous.

All 3 taste very different... Diet Coke is ok, Coke life is a bit better, Coke Zero is delicious.

They're not saying that the others aren't as good, just that different people prefer different tastes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1.75ltr bottles at Asda are £1.85 or 2 for £2.40

1.25ltr 'sharesize' bottles are £1.

4 x 1.5ltr bottles are £4
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    They dropped the 2ltr bottles quite a while ago, I'm surprised there were still any out there, even aldi sold out a month or so ago.

Aldi do 4 1.5ltr bottle for £4 which is good.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just sit back and take it, its what everyone else does - or you could act in numbers, no buy it any more, start a facebook campaign, can't see it happening though, its very UnBritish to not sit back and take it lol