Options

Can someone explain Scott?

I may be out of touch, and never listen to Radio 1 - but from watching the show, I can't understand his popularity. Why is he getting any public votes? There seems to be nothing in him (to me) that would interest me to want to see him stay.

So, obviously, he's either very popular outside the show, or people see something in him that I haven't appreciated. What is it? Can someone explain please?

Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People not watching the show voting is all I can put it down to. Oh & the judges being brutally honest will also get the sympathy votes out.
  • Options
    holly berryholly berry Posts: 14,287
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On the dance floor he seems to be channelling Paul Daniels and Tony Jacklin and needs to stop :o
  • Options
    SeasideLadySeasideLady Posts: 20,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd never heard of him before Strictly. I'm amazed that he hasn't picked up a single thing by now, whether that's down to Joanne 's way of teaching or the fact he hasn't any intelligence whatsoever. Nothing he has done so far has been worth the air time on the screen - what a waste of money !!
  • Options
    harmon-whitecarharmon-whitecar Posts: 107
    Forum Member
    Yeah, but it must be down to what he does on the radio. He must be very entertaining there, because based on how he comes across (personality wise) on the show, it surely can't be based on that. He's a nothing here.

On his show, is he that fantastic? (hard to imagine)
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I posted this on the 1 - 5 Comments thread but my husband has lie detection/facial expression training. He doesn't really watch SCD but it's on as he is doing other things. He glanced over when Scott was at the judges then got up and came over to see better. He asked who he was then said he is displaying anger and contempt.

I thought that was an interesting observation.
  • Options
    Spin turnSpin turn Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, he must have quite a following of loyal supporters.

I did feel really sorry for him last night, although not sorry enough for him to vote for him. He seemed really upset and he did say he was petrified. I can't work out why there wasn't any in hold (or even out of hold) ballroom in the routine. I mean he was really bad at the ballroom parts he did do, but that may be because they spent so long on the other parts of the routine they didn't practice the ballroom enough (just guessing though). It is a bit chicken and egg. I can understand that Joanne might want to give up on his in hold dancing but he'll never improve at it if they don't persevere with the basics. Anton is an old hand at choreographing for less able celebs and he tends to put in more simple ballroom steps with a bit of faffing around at beginning or end to add a bit of lightness and it works.
  • Options
    crazybabecrazybabe Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Agree with you 100% he has learned nothing and walks around looking vacant during his so called dances. As Del would say, "What a plonker" .
  • Options
    MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Another thought. Perhaps he is being favoured in some way because TPTB assume he is dragging in the Radio 1 listeners. :confused:
  • Options
    BelgoLiftBelgoLift Posts: 713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can appreciate people like to vote for someone they admire in their day job, but I would think they would also give him a break if he is doing that badly and not keep him in if he is uncomfortable.
  • Options
    treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i hear he is asking his famous fans ie robbie williams and one directon to ask there twitter followers to vote for him >:(
  • Options
    MayDMayD Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schadenfreude?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's definitely popular in his day job. He broadcasts to millions on a daily basis, and has been at Radio 1 for years, so is very well known to people who have listened to the station any time in the last 15 years or so and a lot of those older listeners will be in the SCD watching demographic these days. He also talks about his training and his performances on air and on twitter (he has well over a million followers), so his fans are fully aware of his involvement and will tune in to watch.

I think he does want to do well, just isn't very good. He's said in the past that he auditioned for Dancing on Ice more than once, but never got onto the show. Considering he is one of the BBC's top DJs, he must have been dangerously bad for them to not let him on.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only assume people are voting out of sympathy. Scott is a perfect example of what is termed having 'two left feet', having no coordination or dancing talent what-so-ever. He surely must go this week, as he is just too painful to watch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well, if he's popular on the radio, he must be a completely different person there than what he's showing on SCD. If he's the same on air as he is on my TV - then I can't see how anyone would ever deem him popular or entertaining.

Just being there for 15 years with that personality couldn't explain why anyone would like him.

On radio, he must be fantastic - perhaps I'll give a listen and see what I'm missing. However, I bet he's not sparkling there, just ‘familiar’, hence people 'like' him. What a sorry state we have when mediocrity is accepted simply because we are complacent..
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It doesn't matter why people like him, or if everyone likes him. The fact is that he's one of the most popular DJs on one of the country's most popular radio stations.

Assuming others must have low standards just because they like someone or something you don't, is a bit presumptuous.;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    It doesn't matter why people like him, or if everyone likes him. The fact is that he's one of the most popular DJs on one of the country's most popular radio stations.

Assuming others must have low standards just because they like someone or something you don't, is a bit presumptuous.;-)

Then explain why he is popular. Just cause he's there makes him popular, even if he's adding nothing to the broadcast?
  • Options
    millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then explain why he is popular. Just cause he's there makes him popular, even if he's adding nothing to the broadcast?

I listened to Scott on the radio on and off for years, not a avid listener but he is a good DJ in my opinion he has a good team with him on the radio and they work well together. He may not be a good dancer, but on he is a good DJ. How to explain his popularity ? I don't know, does not take himself to seriously on the radio and has been on for years at different time slots, if he was not good and listeners dropped he would have been taken of air by now. Now Greg James is some one I would love to do SCD.
  • Options
    primerprimer Posts: 6,370
    Forum Member
    Starpuss wrote: »
    I posted this on the 1 - 5 Comments thread but my husband has lie detection/facial expression training. He doesn't really watch SCD but it's on as he is doing other things. He glanced over when Scott was at the judges then got up and came over to see better. He asked who he was then said he is displaying anger and contempt..

i thought he looked absolutely traumatised, like he would rather be anywhere else on earth, and that he was just steeling himself to try and get through it...
  • Options
    StarpussStarpuss Posts: 12,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    primer wrote: »
    i thought he looked absolutely traumatised, like he would rather be anywhere else on earth, and that he was just steeling himself to try and get through it...

I thought he looked traumatised too. But I don't have the knowledge my husband has. I tend to trust him as he is generally very, very good.

Having said that the emotions of anger and contempt are not out of place in the situation either. Just more complex.
  • Options
    gorlagongorlagon Posts: 1,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's a familiar and popular face with the Radio 1 audience who got a lot of public goodwill for coming out in a positive way and who makes a big effort with the various fundraising drives like CiN. On the face of it, he's a great candidate for Strictly - known by multiple demographics, a team player, etc.

It's turned out unfortunately. Not only has he got two left feet, but it's pretty clear he doesn't even enjoy the whole Strictly rigmarole. I feel really sorry for him. I think he'd like to go home. But he's a BBC stalwart and he's got to make the best of both the show and his own popularity just as a good Auntie Beeb team player should.

I honestly think it would be a kindness to let him go home now so that he can come out of it with a bit of team player honour and still retain a bit of affection for the show.
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scott is a great person and extremely talented at what he does for his regular job but I agree he always looks like he is out of his depth in SCD although if you watch some of the other tv shows he has been on then his expressions is generally the same., like what am I doing here sort of thing.

I just wonder if he is the type of person who gets nervous in front of camera and can only really relax when he is in his own studio doing what he loves best.
  • Options
    snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea how he avoids the dance off, I think he's terrible. :confused:
  • Options
    coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that those who are discussing how bad he must be on the radio based on his dancing are being extremely naive.

He is excellent as a DJ on the radio and is now doing SCD as a completely novice dancer, he is not doing well at learning to dance and I have to say part of it must be put at Joanne's door, she has not GOT him at all. He is very funny on the radio when he is being himself, but it is not the sort of funny that would ever dress up as a crab. She is not teaching him in a way he can respond to and I feel she very much choreographs the dance to show off wha she can do rather than work with what he can do .

I saw some improvement this week and was sad that was not really recognised by the judges. I don't like the way that he is getting stick on here because some seem to think he is deliberately not learning to dance.

Now it appears that because he can't dance very well he must be bad at his job. That seems to me to be a very mean thing to do. There is absolutely no link between how well you can dance and how well you can do your real job.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    He is so very bad that he must have an ego the size of the Mount Everest of he's asking people to vote for him.

He's worse than anyone else I can think of including Anne Widdecombe, Gregg Wallace and John Sergeant, and he's clearly not enjoying having the judges criticise him - he looked near to tears this week. But perhaps he thinks he knows better than them - ego again.

He won't be at all popular if he avoids the dance off and one of the good dancers goes out.
  • Options
    MACTOWINMACTOWIN Posts: 34,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMO his ego is off the scale the look he gives anyone that criticises him is unbelievable.