What IS the matter with Tom Daley?

Comments

• 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80s fan
    Just so you are aware of Ellie Simmons achievements ... This year she won 2 GOLD medals 1 silver and a bronze ... swimming in the Paralympics ... How you haven't heard of her is astounding.. She was one of the "faces" of the Olympics

Thank you Betty. I wasn't in the UK when the Paralympics was taking place so didn't see them and they were over when I returned.

To that poster who said she is appearing everywhere on things, as much as Jessica Ennis & Mo Farrah apparently, how come her achievements aren't as celebrated then? If she was as ubiquitous as it was made out, surely the name should be instantly recognised? :confused:

THIS is what gets my goat about Tom Daley's constant coverage... A lot of people get no coverage at all
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »
    Thank you Betty. I wasn't in the UK when the Paralympics was taking place so didn't see them and they were over when I returned.

To that poster who said she is appearing everywhere on things, as much as Jessica Ennis & Mo Farrah apparently, how come her achievements aren't as celebrated then? If she was as ubiquitous as it was made out, surely the name should be instantly recognised? :confused:

THIS is what gets my goat about Tom Daley's constant coverage... A lot of people get no coverage at all

You didn't need to be in the UK during the Paralympics to know who Ellie Simmonds is!!:confused:

Everyone knows who she is - you are in the minority.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ellie has appeared on TV and in the media a lot though, and she's receiving an OBE which has been well-documented.
  • MandarkMandark Posts: 47,930
    Forum Member
    I think people forget about his ruthless money making manager who revealed what sort of character he is on that prevOlympics documentary. I wouldn't be surprised to see Tom doing his Splash show in China with local celebs.
  • Starry EyedStarry Eyed Posts: 1,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    methodyguy wrote: »
    The abusive posters towards Tom are probably the same ones who abused him on twitter if they had anything going for them they wouldn't be so abusive.

Don't worry Tom you do have true fans who will support you all the way! Here's to Rio.

Hang on - having a negative opinion of someone is not automatically being abusive. People really need to stop thinking that it is.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Hang on - having a negative opinion of someone is not automatically being abusive. People really need to stop thinking that it is.

Strong agreed!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also - ITV are really, really going over the top on their advertising of the Splash! show...I've only had the telly on for about an hour this morning and have already lost count of how many times I have seen the trailer. Tom is overexposed - that's a fact - and overexposure always leads to some kind of backlash. It's not always about knocking someone down...more like familiarity breeds contempt.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The abusive posters towards Tom are probably the same ones who abused him on twitter if they had anything going for them they wouldn't be so abusive.

I haven't seen any posters being 'abusive' towards Tom Daley on here and not everyone is obsessed by Twitter so I don't see your point :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone seen his latest topless pics? This guy is seriously in love with himself. If only he'd spent more time training and less Twittering, he might have ended up with a gold medal instead of a bronze perma tan. This little bloke is a right twit.

Why is it an issue? If you mean pics for his calender Im sure the photographer had a lot to do with the type of pics taken. Not like he is nude or anything. Lighten up a bit

All his training got him a medal..so obviously he trains enough. Did you get a medal in the olympics?
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    I haven't seen any posters being 'abusive' towards Tom Daley on here and not everyone is obsessed by Twitter so I don't see your point :confused:

:D Try actually reading through the thread.
  • methodyguymethodyguy Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member

If you actually read through the thread there are posters being abusive towards Tom with one poster actually wishing Tom was dead!!
  • Jon RossJon Ross Posts: 3,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone seen his latest topless pics? This guy is seriously in love with himself. If only he'd spent more time training and less Twittering, he might have ended up with a gold medal instead of a bronze perma tan. This little bloke is a right twit.

Men with good bodies tend to like to show them off. Freddie Mercury, Arnold Schwarzenegger and David Beckham spring immediately to mind. Young Tom is merely following a tradition.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well said.

Tom Daly talked a good dive but when it mattered he bottled it. All of the other Olympians people have named here for being seen on the TV ala Daly, won GOLD medals. If Daly had spent less time with his extra curricular activities and more time practicing his dives, this thread wouldn't exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you actually read through the thread there are posters being abusive towards Tom with one poster actually wishing Tom was dead!!

That's obviously unacceptable but I was talking about posters who are labelling anything that isn't praise as abusive.
  • puffenstuffpuffenstuff Posts: 1,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im a 53 yr old woman and feel a bit of a perv commenting on Tom Daley but do feel the need to comment on Mr Daley as im a non sports person, was forced to endure the olympics this summer by my OH zzzzzzzzz

however Tom Daley leaving aside any sporting prowess (which he certainly must have to be in the olympics) and the rumours over his sexuality (which have filtered through into even my insular world) and his young age

all i can say as a female is he has got "something" and he has it in spades.

For all I know he could have the personality of a fish but god is he a handsome boy, there are about 15 women in our family ranging from 15 to 85 and we all fancy him.

Not to put down his sporting achievements but it would be a criminal waste if this young man wasnt adorning calenders for at least the next 30 years .

When I was queuing up in the calender shop where I live to buy a calender for my daughter at xmas , the guy in the shop said they couldnt print them fast enough, people were coming in daily (pardon the pun) asking when the next delivery was and then they sold out within about half an hour.

to me thats a phenomena and people fancy him in the same way they fancied donny osmond who was similarly sugary or david cassidy the exception being this time his appeal is crossing age differences and its not just teenagers who think he is eye candy.

I do think he could stop the sports stuff tomorrow and just continue as a model and he would be set up financially for life.

And best of luck to the lad why shouldnt he capitalise on all avenues open to him?

most of the moaners are men who were quite happy to ogle sam fox and her 16 year old tits back in the day in the Sun, at least Tom has so far kept his pants on
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's obviously unacceptable but I was talking about posters who are labelling anything that isn't praise as abusive.

Totally agree with you.
    Perhaps Tom Daley's fans need to look up what 'abuse' actually means
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with you.

I know what the word abuse actually means thank you very much. :rolleyes: and I can safely say that if one rereads this thread some of the posts are nothing other than downright abuse.
    Forum Member
    Im a 53 yr old woman and feel a bit of a perv commenting on Tom Daley but do feel the need to comment on Mr Daley as im a non sports person, was forced to endure the olympics this summer by my OH zzzzzzzzz

however Tom Daley leaving aside any sporting prowess (which he certainly must have to be in the olympics) and the rumours over his sexuality (which have filtered through into even my insular world) and his young age

For all I know he could have the personality of a fish but god is he a handsome boy, there are about 15 women in our family
    ranging from 15 to 85 and we all fancy him.

Not to put down his sporting achievements but it would be a criminal waste if this young man wasnt adorning calenders for at least the next 30 years .

When I was queuing up in the calender shop where I live to buy a calender for my daughter at xmas , the guy in the shop said
    they couldnt print them fast enough, people were coming in daily (pardon the pun) asking when the next delivery was and then they sold out within about half an hour.

to me thats a phenomena and people fancy him in the same way they fancied donny osmond who was similarly sugary or david cassidy the exception being this time his appeal is crossing age differences and its not just teenagers who think

he is eye candy.

I do think he could stop the sports stuff tomorrow and just continue as a model and he would be set up financially for life.

And best of luck to the lad why shouldnt he capitalise on all avenues open to him?
    most of the moaners are men who were quite happy to ogle sam fox and her 16 year old tits back in the day in the Sun, at least Tom has so far kept his pants on

Very good post and you make some very valid points. I think Toms appeal ranges from all ages and all sexes. I think Tom would be perfect as a model if he ever gave up his sporting career.
  • mazzy50mazzy50 Posts: 13,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So - no abusive posts?
    one of these days hes going tto jump from a great height, take cramp and drown.

pity carlsberg don't do deaths.......celebs
    I had a look through this thread and couldn't see anyone 'sneering at an Olympic bronze.'

Really? See below:
    Role model? All he's done is a mediocre attempt at winning anything more than bronze in order to cash in as a Z-lister to attending anything that'll have him, even fridge openings :rolleyes:

He's going to take a huge fall in popularity before too long

And this is from your own opening post for this thread:
    What IS the matter with Tom Daley?

Are you seriously saying that your post above in no way disparages his bronze medal?
    I've gone from liking him initially to not being able to stand sight nor mention of him. I've tried to give him a break because he is still so young but it's staggering how much the fame has gone to his head. He's a desperate famewhore celeb wannabe and not remotely credible as a sportsman anymore. I find it sad.

You may end up being correct, but I don't think anyone can predict what will happen at Rio right now. He is currently in his 'off' season - if he fails to start training again later this year or take part in diving competitions in 2013 your assertions might carry some weight. Right now your suggestion that he is not a credible sportsperson is just insulting.
    Why don't they have Twitter as an Olympic sport? Loathsome.

Interesting - if it hadn't been for your OP which started this thread, I wouldn't have known he was posting anything on Twitter as i don't use it. You think Twitter is loathsome, but you must have been searching and signed up to actually find his tweets.
    jacqui_B wrote: »
    If u dont like Tom or twitter, how did you even see the pic you started the thread about :confused:

Indeed.
  • DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Totally agree with you.

:D:D:D:D Sorry, that is a classic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    So - no abusive posts?

I've never said there were no abusive posts. I said some people think having anything other than a positive opinion of someone is abusive - and they do.

I also don't think saying someone is a desperate famewhore is remotely abusive. It's an opinion. Maybe not a gently worded one, but it's still not anything close to abusive.
  • AoibheannRoseAoibheannRose Posts: 1,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Tom's new show is definitely looking like a BAFTA contender...
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

For all I know he could have the personality of a fish but god is he a handsome boy, there are about 15 women in our family ranging from 15 to 85 and we all fancy him.

When I was queuing up in the calender shop where I live to buy a calender for my daughter at xmas , the guy in the shop said they couldnt print them fast enough, people were coming in daily (pardon the pun) asking when the next delivery was and then they sold out within about half an hour.

to me thats a phenomena and people fancy him in the same way they fancied donny osmond who was similarly sugary or david cassidy the exception being this time his appeal is crossing age differences and its not just teenagers who think he is eye candy.

A lot of good points here : the guy is really a pop star or pop icon, rather than a sportsman.

The only thing I would take issue with is those people who say his sporting achievements justify his level of fame and celebrity in the UK : the guy won an Olympic bronze medal in something that is very much a minority sport. His fans will immediately hit back and mention his Commonwealth, European and world titles but many members of Team GB across a whole range of disciplines have won similar titles.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have to laugh at people making out that they like Tom Daley for any reason other than his Twinkish, perma tanned physique

The guy is as bland and boring as a flannel