TV listings from 1970s and 1980s

124»

Comments

• TonyCurrieTonyCurrie Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it was in early 1991 that the laws were changed regarding UK TV schedule listings in magazines. Both the ''Radio Times'' & ''TV Times'' were allowed to cover all aspects of UKTV (including Sky too by that point as it had started in '89) for the first-time, and also a lot of rival magazines began, such as ''What's On TV'' & ''TV Quick'' (I can remember the ad for that one, with Liz Smith (Nana from ''The Royle Family'') in it singing ''That's The Way I Like It'' by K.C & The Sunshine Band, as she went to the newsagents to buy the mag!).

Also, the newspapers started to do their own listings magazines too, so for my family & friends there wasn't so much of a reason to buy either the ''Radio Times'' or ''TV Times'' anymore, whereas upto that point it was fairly essential to buy both to help plan your daily TV viewing for the BBC & ITV/Channel 4.

Nowadays, who needs listings mags when you have your Sky EPG etc?

Until then BBC, ITV and Channel 4 protected the copyright in their programme listings which is why newspapers were only allowed to print one day's programmes (except on Saturday when they could print two) and the TV magazines held a monopoly.

For the full story, check out my book "The Radio Times Story". (Blatant plug!)
  • fdpfdp Posts: 634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently, well known drummer and V/O Ringo Starr was the first person in the U.K. to own a domestic VCR. I read it on the web - ergo it's indisputable. He might have old tapes lying around with some classic early 70's stuff. Perhaps someone could email him and ask ? ;)
  • yorksdaveyorksdave Posts: 3,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bundyman wrote: »
    Too true

There were some great shows in the 70's/80's, but boy was there a lot of crap as well.

A lot of that crap did very well in primetime because with only 2 entertainment channels ...."Keep it in the family" kept getting new series.

Some of these type of shows crop up on satelitte channels every so often, boy were they bad.

Keep It in the family also was remade in the US as Too Close For Comfort

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Too_Close_for_Comfort_(TV_series)
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_1101 wrote: »
    One thing I do remember was how strictly controlled publication of the schedule was. Radio Times for BBC, TV Times for ITV (and later Channel 4), very limited details in the newspapers. Occasionally Radio Times had to do national editions (print strikes?), these included S4C programmes but only the welsh language ones. I don't think Radio Times published ITV and Channel 4 details until 1990. They even had a special edition for each local radio area.

Somebody mentioned old german schedules. Their broadcasting hours were even shorter, regional third programmes from 18:00 - 22:30 most nights, national channels 16:15 - 24:00 during the week, weekend start about lunchtime. There was a special morning programme for 3 hours, this was only broadcast in West Berlin and west german transmitters covering the DDR.

If you can receive BR-Alpha, check the schedule for Saturday mornings, they still show some very quaint english lessons from the 1980s.

There was a strike at Waterlows, printers of the RT, in the 1950s when it enjoyed a sale of 9 million copies a week,the highest circulation of that type in the world. The strike last nine weeks and only edition was produced each week. It was printed at Thomson's Withy Grove plant in Manchester, the only place in the UK capable of a nine million print run (Waterlows having seven different print works around the UK).
  • AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    5340robert wrote: »

November 1977

1725 News followed by Weatherman
    0005 Weatherman

Were women excluded from certain forecasts? lol
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    fdp wrote: »
    Apparently, well known drummer and V/O Ringo Starr was the first person in the U.K. to own a domestic VCR. I read it on the web - ergo it's indisputable. He might have old tapes lying around with some classic early 70's stuff. Perhaps someone could email him and ask ? ;)

The problem is if they can't find a working machine to play the N1500 format tapes.

I know that there are still a few still alive and kicking but these machines were notoriously unreliable even when new, so you'd be extremely lucky to be able to transfer a large number of tapes, which we hope Ringo Starr to have.

That's if the tapes haven't degraded to white mould, rendering them totally unplayable.
  • emailsemails Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This one still works - it's fascinatingly bad. :D (The 1970s schedules, not the site - which is good).

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/

can anyone tell me if this website still working? or is it me? tryed using way back machine ,but this is excluded for some reason? if all fails is there any other website that would show the same ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cornucopia wrote: »
    This one still works - it's fascinatingly bad. :D (The 1970s schedules, not the site - which is good).

http://tvlistings.thetvroomplus.com/

oh dear thats sites down again
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    emails wrote: »
    oh dear thats sites down again

I think the domain name with the website's hosting company has expired and the website owner for some reason won't renew it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    I think the domain name with the website's hosting company has expired and the website owner for some reason won't renew it.

well if thats the case i'll take it, i could do alot with that site
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well if thats the case i'll take it, i could do alot with that site

oh right its back again. if they don't want it i'll have it:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh right its back again. if they don't want it i'll have it:)

i just emailed them ,i hope they reply