Options

marie osmond's amazing!!!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
Forum Member
Does anyone else think that Marie is just amazing yes she might not be the best dancer but when you think what she has been through in the last week and year she is certainly an inspirational person and i think that Donny's help to get her through this is just so nice to see as they have come through a lot of difficulties. Is anyone else rooting for Marie???

Comments

• Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    magu21189 wrote: »
    Does anyone else think that Marie is just amazing yes she might not be the best dancer but when you think what she has been through in the last week and year she is certainly an inspirational person and i think that Donny's help to get her through this is just so nice to see as they have come through a lot of difficulties. Is anyone else rooting for Marie???

I like her too, not because of what she's been through but because she's such a funny person and always gives a good performance. I don't think she'll win because she's not good enough technically - I think Mel B will win and that's okay with me because I like her too!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    yeh i agree with you on her personality she is just so full of life and bubbly and her anytimes she laughs everyone laughs with her she can light up a room so easily with her laugh and smile:)
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go as far as to say out of all the celebs on DWTS or SCD, Marie is the one I would most like to meet!
  • Options
    La RhumbaLa Rhumba Posts: 11,440
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's certainly got a great personality, and is alot of fun, and always gives a good performance. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^ Yep, just like La Rhumba said.

However, I think at this stage of the competition she is lacking in technique. But she certainly does make up for it with sheer enthusiasm and great performance :)
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    stfrench wrote: »
    ^ Yep, just like La Rhumba said.

However, I think at this stage of the competition she is lacking in technique. But she certainly does make up for it with sheer enthusiasm and great performance :)

I agree with you there, but did get irritated last night when the judges marked her a "perfect" 10 for her ballroom dance, as it very far from perfect. To start with the fundamental of ballroom is that there is body contact - with Marie & J you could drive the proverbial bus between them, and she was just 'hanging on'.

The second thing I found offensive was her flat shoes! She was wearing the sort of shoes that Juvenile dancers (under 12) wear....

I can't imagine anyone on Strictly getting away with either the above - Craig and Arlene would have blue fits!
  • Options
    ameredithameredith Posts: 1,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like Marie too. She has improved but I think Mel B will win it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She'll win it due to sympathy vote. Not as good as Helio or Mel B though.
  • Options
    kayceekaycee Posts: 12,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She'll win it due to sympathy vote. Not as good as Helio or Mel B though.

OH NO please not!
  • Options
    SallyforthSallyforth Posts: 7,404
    Forum Member
    I don't think she got to the final on the judge and public vote combination last week, because of sympathy. She was fabulously entertaining (as she has been mos of the way through) both on the floor and off. She has also put in some great technical performances at times, and her quickstep in particular last week was delightful.
  • Options
    ajdcbgajdcbg Posts: 646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i like her a lot ,but i think mel b and helio are the better dancers :)

saying that ,i'll be surprised if marie doesen't win.

she is a very popular person with the American public and her family in general is iconic in the USA.

coupled with the sympathy vote i can see her winning .

can't see the US public giving the win to Mel due to her being english. :(
  • Options
    Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really don't think the Osmond's are considered an iconic American family. Before Marie's stint on DWTS they weren't really remembered for anything beyond their being mormon and having big teeth. Now, with her plastered over Entertainment Tonight and half a dozen other shows she's seems to be on a wave of publicity which could carry her to a win unfortunately.

If Mel B. does win, which would be a big shame imo, it won't be because she's English, it will be because Marie has gotten the most publicity and the sympathy vote due to her many trials lately. Heck, Helio isn't American and he's been a front runner all season as well. To put so much emphasis on nationality is wrong imo. If it was such an issue why would 2 of the top 3 not be American?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh right, cos in the UK they are remembered by people over the age of 35 for being singers and in the charts alot in the 1970s, and for the Donny & Marie TV show.

Donny always says that the UK Fans are the best Osmond Fans in the world! :D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, the family is fondly remembered by a ladies of a certain age, me included. :D They also do a huge amount of charitable work; and if you ever get to Utah there's a lot of evidence, usually in the small print on charity/campaign posters, of their support for good causes.

Whatever the issue about the 'sympathy' vote, she certainly deserves kudos for carrying on with the show. I lost both my parents relatively young, and I couldn't have picked myself up like she has so soon after.
  • Options
    Sari~Sari~ Posts: 1,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    La Rhumba wrote: »
    Oh right, cos in the UK they are remembered by people over the age of 35 for being singers and in the charts alot in the 1970s, and for the Donny & Marie TV show.

Donny always says that the UK Fans are the best Osmond Fans in the world! :D

Now that you say that, I'm sure you're quite right that they are remembered like that by some. I'm from a slightly younger demographic so I missed Puppy Love and all that. Still, it's been a long time and I do believe that they're not quite up to iconic stature for the general public. :D
    flotsom wrote:
    Whatever the issue about the 'sympathy' vote, she certainly deserves kudos for carrying on with the show. I lost both my parents relatively young, and I couldn't have picked myself up like she has so soon after.

She definitely has taken the saying "the show must go on" to heart. Personally, I would never have been able to.
  • Options
    AerickAerick Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my opinion, nationality is playing zero part in this and will not be a deciding factor in whoever wins. People are not going to vote for Marie just because she's American.

Im sure the Jenny/Derek votes will now be split and will go to either Mel B or Helio

People simply become endeared by someone by their trials and tribulations, or by a heart warming story, or a rise from the bottom to the top, or just a plain "wow" factor.

Marie is a typical comeback story. 70's popularity, sort of fading in the public eye and not too well known to the younger generation but still known to those in their 30s and older. Her and Donny both have somewhat kept their names in print over the years due to varying circumstances. Both have written about depression. Marie is on QVC often, and Donny has been in Broadway shows I believe.

Helio. A person with such charisma and charm. A virtual unknown except from the race car driver set is what I am guessing. I dont really know. But I think the American public has taken him under their wings. He's gone from being a non dancer to someone most everybody enjoys watching. We've all watched him come so far and I dont think anybody has a bad thing to say about him.

Mel B is beautiful and spectacular to watch. I can't imagine anybody denying that. The British have been intertwined into the American entertainment scene since the Beatles and Stones so I cannot imagine anybody is sitting around the TV distinguishing between an American or a Brit.

This is not a show about national pride. I dont think anybody here is comparing it to an olympics event. It's just good clean fun. I'm glad it's getting better in the ratings each year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks so much for your assessment Aerick! :)
    I must totally agree with all your points about the 3 Finalists.

Enjoy the show tonight, let's hope we see some great dancing, I'm sure we will. I'm planning to stay up for it and watch the webcam, fingers crossed there's no hitch technically.

Enjoy the Finale everyone!!!!!!!!!!! :D:D:D

This series of DWTS has been super, I loved the last one too, but who knew it could be topped? :eek:
    It's amazing! :D

BTW I don't know if yourself and Sari read the post by a lady who attended one of Donny's concerts at Wembley a few weeks ago - the week that Marie fainted. As you know, Donny was over here on a concert tour, and still giving his weekly views to ET, and during that concert he made the audience laugh by making them all pretend to be Marie, and then announcing her name, and getting everyone to dramatically pretend to faint! It sounds cruel, but I'm sure it was really funny and meant in the kidly spirit of brotherly love and support. It made me really laugh anyway! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    um great entertainer but what was that freestlye all about :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Elvia wrote: »
    um great entertainer but what was that freestlye all about :D

After that freestyle, perhaps this thread needs to be renamed. Not so amazing now:D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her freestyle must have cost her votes. I think it was a bit too 'alternative' to have mass appeal. Very 'Baby Jane'
  • Options
    OakOak Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Her freestyle must have cost her votes. I think it was a bit too 'alternative' to have mass appeal. Very 'Baby Jane'

It was just plain weird! Her attitude didn't help her much either.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Did Marie get enough plugs in about her dolls. Guess she felt that was more important than anything else. Bizarre!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    looneetoon wrote: »
    Did Marie get enough plugs in about her dolls. Guess she felt that was more important than anything else. Bizarre!

I know! Maybe she thought I'm taking this opportunity for a gigantic plug come what may! :o
  • Options
    MegaDancerMegaDancer Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sari~ wrote: »
    Now that you say that, I'm sure you're quite right that they are remembered like that by some. I'm from a slightly younger demographic so I missed Puppy Love and all that. Still, it's been a long time and I do believe that they're not quite up to iconic stature for the general public. :D

She definitely has taken the saying "the show must go on" to heart. Personally, I would never have been able to.

I am an American and they are of iconic stature in the States. First there was the Osmond Brothers, then Donnie solo, then Marie solo, Then 'little' Jimmy Osmond solo, then Donnie & Marie show, several years of nowheresville for all of them, then Donnie & Marie hosted at least 2 daytime tv shows that were very popular. They weren't in the pop charts, but they were in the news a lot - Marie became a very famous doll designer etc and Donnie was doing musicals etc. The rest of the Osmonds have done various things in music for years as well.
    They became more than pop stars and became all round entertainers. Everyone in America knew (and most liked) who she was way way way before DWTS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I listen to a Dallas radio station online (99.5 The Wolf) and one of the breakfast show presenters, who does a sort of showbiz goss type feature, mentioned that there is talk in America that Marie's fainting episode was faked. I have to say, whenever I've seen anyone faint they just keel over, Marie just fell in a heap in pretty much the exact same amount of space she occupied whilst standing up, very ..er.. precise I thought. She still looks fabulous though and was easily the funniest contestant.Just my $0.02 and imho as per. ;)