Options

Why do some hitch hikers hold up licence plates?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 629
Forum Member
✭✭
What's that all about?

Can any one give them a lift or is it some kind of code?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's because the person is a car salesman that has just dropped a new car off.. or something like that.. could be totally wrong though!! :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're trade plates, carried by people delivering vehicles. They take the vehicle from point A to B, but then need to get back again.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite often they are lorry drivers who are after a lift back home after a one way trip.

They don't usually have to wait very long before a fellow driver stops for them.
  • Options
    Torino TotoraTorino Totora Posts: 826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They nicked them of the last family... "The Hitcher"
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They get expenses for the return journey - hitch a lift - and pocket the expenes. No problems with this by the way.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lofichic wrote: »
    They're trade plates, carried by people delivering vehicles. They take the vehicle from point A to B, but then need to get back again.

Yup and commercial vehicles or someone in the 'motoring' trade is more likely to pick them up....thereby saving them the train/bus fare home.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are nearly always retired people who have a part time job delivering cars and need a lift home.

And as mikeyddd said they pocket the expenses for the return journey. Shrewd these old codgers!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are the corresponding numbers of people they have murdered who were stupid enough to pick them up..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plus, the plates are in red and white usually, indicating that they are trade plates, so other drivers at least know it's not just some nutter.

Or do they??? :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,481
    Forum Member
    They are nearly always retired people who have a part time job delivering cars and need a lift home.

And as mikeyddd said they pocket the expenses for the return journey. Shrewd these old codgers!

Not sure I like the idea of old codgers delivering a new car, they have a habit of driving up the wrong side of the motorway.
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    Not sure I like the idea of old codgers delivering a new car, they have a habit of driving up the wrong side of the motorway.

And I wouldn't fancy the idea of a young thing delivering either - most likely the engine would be revved flat out, tyres scrubbed, interior filled with empty McD wrappers, Red Bull cans and stale **** smoke....

And if by "old codgers" you mean someone in the 60 - 65 age group, then I think you'd find that these drivers take much more care of the car and have much more respect for the new owner since they too will probably have been through a new car experience unlike the young chavs who scrape together a few bob to buy an old banger.
  • Options
    SomnerSomner Posts: 9,412
    Forum Member
    mikeyddd wrote: »
    They get expenses for the return journey - hitch a lift - and pocket the expenes. No problems with this by the way.

You're joking aren't you? A lot of them don't get return expenses paid.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,279
    Forum Member
    Somner wrote: »

Some of them are self-employed anyway.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sketcher wrote: »
    What's that all about?

trade plates. I don't know what trade but I know it helps them get a lift.
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Somner wrote: »
    I saw an advert for trade plate lorry drivers on the job centre a while ago and looked up the company's website and the way it was worded it looked like they expect you to hitch a lift back. The pay looked not bad but I think it was on a self employed basis so I don't know if it would give a guaranteed income.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 309
    Forum Member
    sketcher wrote: »
    What's that all about?

From your usage of the term "license plates", I assume you are a USAn.

If you look, you will see that these plates have white lettering on a read background as opposed to black-on-white/yellow. They are temporary plates, called "trade plates", to be used when it is necessary to drive a new car to its destination before said car is properly registered. Quite why a vehicle can't be registered before the delivery, I don't know.

Anyway, these people you see hitchhicking with said plates are called "tradeplaters"; they drove the car from somewhere to somewhere else, and now they obviously have no car left with which to take them back.

The car dealership pays these people to deliver the vehicle and presumably enough to get the train/bus back to wherever it is they live/work.

Some people prefer to save the money and hitchhike back instead. They carry the plates to reassure any potential picker-up that they are not going to rob them or accuse them of rape. (It is presumably possible to identify the company in question from the plates, but I've no idea how to do this.)

Richard [in SG1]
  • Options
    JeeooorghhhbbbJeeooorghhhbbb Posts: 490
    Forum Member
    My dad was a self-employed motor trader and used these red and white trade plates to take cars he had bought to auction or from one garage to another. This meant that he didn't have to register as the owner of the car. I've got a feeling you could get away with the car not being taxed too if they were driven with trade plates. If he didn't buy a car at the auction, he would use the trade plates as a signal to fellow motor-traders to give him a lift home, or at least get him a bit closer to home!
  • Options
    rosalynnrosalynn Posts: 4,500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I drove a year old car for a test drive the other week and that had trade plates on too, presumably because it wasn't registered to anybody at the time. I figured it might also be an insurance thing but I'm not sure.
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    Fosdyke wrote: »
    Naah, I saw some young nutter doing that on Road Wars! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you look, you will see that these plates have white lettering on a read background as opposed to black-on-white/yellow. They are temporary plates, called "trade plates", to be used when it is necessary to drive a new car to its destination before said car is properly registered. Quite why a vehicle can't be registered before the delivery, I don't know.
    They could be registered before delivery, but this is normally done by the dealer that is actually selling the vehicle to the customer (as they will be paying for it and have the customer's details etc) so I would think it is just easier to deliver it unregistered.

It's not just about it being unregistered, though. Trade plates also cover VED so this isn't required to drive on them, again on new vehicles this would be paid for by the dealer selling the vehicle or the customer.
    Also, it covers vehicles which aren't currently registered but have previously been. If a vehicle is sold to a dealer it is de-registered from the previous keeper but not actually registered to the dealer (although I assume the DVLA keep a record of which dealer is in possession of it) so the vehicle registration isn't valid to drive on and also it would be untaxed - so a trade plate is required to move the vehicle.
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Also you are not allowed to carry passengers on trade plates. The annual fee for them is not cheap either.
  • Options
    lumpbottomlumpbottom Posts: 18,918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    And I wouldn't fancy the idea of a young thing delivering either - most likely the engine would be revved flat out, tyres scrubbed, interior filled with empty McD wrappers, Red Bull cans and stale **** smoke....

And if by "old codgers" you mean someone in the 60 - 65 age group, then I think you'd find that these drivers take much more care of the car and have much more respect for the new owner since they too will probably have been through a new car experience unlike the young chavs who scrape together a few bob to buy an old banger.
    Dealers will always employ older, experienced drivers for these jobs. If you were the customer, who would you rather drove your brand new car?
    From your usage of the term "license plates", I assume you are a USAn.

The car dealership pays these people to deliver the vehicle and presumably enough to get the train/bus back to wherever it is they live/work.

Richard [in SG1]
    Actually it's red on white.:)

A lot of cars can't be registered as they're dealer transfers. It's VERY common for dealers who can't immediately supply a new car in perhaps the colour the customer wants to get it from another dealership. Sometimes they swap, sometimes not. If the end user is agreeable to the car being driven, the dealership will send some one for it, but usually on the bus or train.

Customers registered cars are never delivered on trade plates - there's no need, but the driver will take a trade plate with him if he intends to get a lift back. Sometimes there is no convenient public transport. They do get paid any expenses incurred for the return journey, but a lot prefer to set out with a trade plate rather than wait hours for a train.

They are not conning the dealership- where do you think they get the plate from in the first place?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    They could be registered before delivery, but this is normally done by the dealer that is actually selling the vehicle to the customer (as they will be paying for it and have the customer's details etc) so I would think it is just easier to deliver it unregistered.

A new car is NEVER delivered to a retail customer unregistered. The V55/1 is for dealer use only. Even cars sold to large leasing companies have to be registered before delivery to the customer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumpbottom wrote: »
    A new car is NEVER delivered to a retail customer unregistered. The V55/1 is for dealer use only. Even cars sold to large leasing companies have to be registered before delivery to the customer.
    I meant delivered to the dealer selling the car to the customer. And I know leased cars are registered by the dealer as the are often purchased from a dealer at one end of the country and driven the length of the UK to the end user taxed, registered and ready to go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    I meant delivered to the dealer selling the car to the customer. And I know leased cars are registered by the dealer as the are often purchased from a dealer at one end of the country and driven the length of the UK to the end user taxed, registered and ready to go.

Ah, OK. You meant dealer transfer.:)
    Sorry, I picked it up wrongly.

Leasing companies will usually use the dealer nearest the end customer, but the those supplying big fleets, such as BSM, will buy from whoever gives the craziest discount, no matter where they are.:)