The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• Options
    kwynne42kwynne42 Posts: 75,337
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eterry21 wrote: »
    Did Channel 5 really do that ???

Yes they did, season 5 which was already being shown 2-3 years after the US and whichever Sky Channel is showing it first here, first they started showing it after midnight then sent to the ultimate Graveyard slot so it no wonder they haven't shown any since.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @TVRatingsUK

BBC One:
    18:00 - BBC News: 5.05m
    18:30 - BBC Reg News: 6.13m
    20:00 - Holiday Hit Squad: 3.86m (16.3%)
    21:00 - Africa: 5.20m (20.6%)
    up on last week's 5.03m
    22:00 - BBC News: 5.13m

ITV
    19:00 - England v Brazil: 6.75m (29.2%)
    21:40 - Coronation Street: 5.81m (23.8%), excludes +1.

Channel 4:
    21:00 - One Born Every Minute: 1.85m
    22:00 - Derek: 1.50m (8%), excludes +1.
    up on last week's 1.44m
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC media centre has announced Being Human's current season is its last.
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie in CRISIS!!!! :eek:

;)

BBC Regional News 6.13m, CS 5.8m
  • Options
    Agent FAgent F Posts: 40,288
    Forum Member
    I don't know why ITV couldn't just hold Corrie back until tonight. Low but not unexpected.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie in CRISIS!!!! :eek:

;)

No Corrie at a ridiculously stupid scheduled time scandal.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Note that Africa was up week on week despite clashing with last half hour of England win and Corrie!
  • Options
    Mike TeeveeMike Teevee Posts: 35,574
    Forum Member
    Agent F wrote: »
    I don't know why ITV couldn't just hold Corrie back until tonight. Low but not unexpected.

I don't why the match couldn't have started at 7.45pm, with Corrie on at 7pm

ITV got what they deserved by not protecting their biggest asset

Semi interesting to note that roughly the same number watched ITV for football and Corrie, but only half stuck around for Corrie on ITV HD
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    when itv shows corrie on a day not the norm like mon,wed,fris it suffers as thurs and sunday showings dnt do well keeping it on same usual night avoids fans venom but would have been far better on at 7pm with footy at 7.30 onwards
  • Options
    rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    as sky ones audience is small in comparison to bbc1 and itv which sky one shows if they were launched on saturday night on main channel would be instant hits not just run of the mill averages etc, got to dance would b my pick
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the itvistas heaped opprobrium upon me for having the temerity to suggest an England v Brazil friendly should be peaking at 10m.

It peaked at 9m.

And so it should.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rivkin wrote: »
    when itv shows corrie on a day not the norm like mon,wed,fris it suffers as thurs and sunday showings dnt do well keeping it on same usual night avoids fans venom but would have been far better on at 7pm with footy at 7.30 onwards

But Corrie at 8.30pm tonight would still have rated better than it did at 9.30pm last night. I'm sure KO could even have been delayed last night to allow for Corrie at 7pm. KO is usually 7.45pm anyway isn't it? (Can you tell I don't have a clue about football?)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But Corrie at 8.30pm tonight would still have rated better than it did at 9.30pm last night. I'm sure KO could even have been delayed last night to allow for Corrie at 7pm. KO is usually 7.45pm anyway isn't it? (Can you tell I don't have a clue about football?)

you hide it well :p

what you've said is correct though, I don't understand why the kick off was 7.30pm. I could understand if the match was being played overseas and that was forced upon ITV.

Seeing as it was at Wembley and on a normal Wednesday night, there's no decent reason for the match not kicking off at either 7.45pm or 8pm

Corrie fans suffer in the process, not that it bothers me :)
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    Anyone have the rating for Sons of Anarchy (10pm 5USA) please? Person of Interest (9pm 5USA) as well if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance.
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Anyone have the rating for Sons of Anarchy (10pm 5USA) please? Person of Interest (9pm 5USA) as well if at all possible.

Many thanks in advance.

Person of Interest: 125k (0.5%)
    Sons of Anarchy: 156k (1.0%).
  • Options
    ServalanServalan Posts: 10,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AlexiR wrote: »
    But as you mention last year the transition to the new cast resulted in a ratings drop so clearly throwing it out at 9PM opposite heavy hitting drama competition on BBC1 and/or ITV simply wasn't an option. Delaying until after Ripper Street has finished would push the launch back to March 3 at the earliest although it would still be up against Mr Selfridge so its likely they'd actually want to delay until that's finished which would have it debuting March 17 at the earliest. For the record that would be around the date you'd usually be expecting it to finish its series not start it. And that assumes that the BBC and/or ITV don't have other big projects lined up for Sunday nights after Ripper Street and Mr Selfridge come to an end. The BBC will presumably be looking to launch The White Queen at or around Easter which potentially causes problems for Being Human if its not starting until mid-late March. It would also get completely lost amongst promotion for Doctor Who, The Voice and whatever other big hitters BBC1 is rolling out in Q2.

Also you probably have to take into account the BBC3 schedule itself and whether pushing Being Human into Q2 is actually viable for them. It probably isn't a great idea. Sunday 10PM is by far and away the best slot BBC3 could give Being Human this year.

Although what you actually said was that the show had been moved to 10PM to 'bury it' because they couldn't afford another series. That isn't even close to the same thing as saying that BBC3 is being given a lower profile in the midst of budget cuts so that it doesn't become a target for further cuts or anti-BBC sentiment. I don't completely disagree with that although I don't think Being Human actually fits that general chain of thought. Since it started it has been one of the big plus points in favour of the channel.

No one has disputed that the BBC3 budget has been cut and is now incredibly tight. Neither is anyone disputing that its entirely possible/likely that they simply won't be able to afford another series of Being Human. What's being disputed is that they're burying a series they've already paid for because they can't afford to commission another one.

All your arguments have rather evaporated in the light of this morning's news about Being Human ending - which must have been known when the series was commissioned. Lots of bouquets passing between Touchpaper and the BBC - but no clear reason for ending the show: 'making the way for new talent' is hardly the same as 'we will be commissioning more drama for BBC Three now BH is ending'.
    AlexiR wrote: »
    Sugartown aired at 10:35 on BBC1 that's hardly tanking it and from memory wasn't exactly ignored by the BBC leading up to its debut either. And not airing a show because it turns out its a bit rubbish isn't the same a scheduling a show to die.

Er - 10:35 in the height of summer is indeed tanking it. Yes, it got some promotion - hardly surprising given that Shed is a big player - but that is hardly a vote of confidence. It does, however, trump not airing a show at all and therefore spending millions on something that will never be seen ... very expensive bit of 'rubbish'.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,884
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kwynne42 wrote: »
    Not a chance Africa was one of those doomful looks to the future type shows which aren't nearly as popular, watching everything in danger of going extinct isn't a nice as looking at pretty animals, I certainly didn't waste my time watching.
    dullagj2 wrote: »
    21:00 - Africa: 5.20m (20.6%)
    up on last week's 5.03m

Well, there goes that theory. And if everyone took that attitude, there won't be any programmes about pretty animals to gawp at in the future.
    I don't why the match couldn't have started at 7.45pm, with Corrie on at 7pm

ITV got what they deserved by not protecting their biggest asset

Yes, it was mentioned here the other day that the kick-off was at 7.30 by request of ITV but I haven't got a clue why they'd request that. They didn't need to experiment to see how Corrie would do at 9.30, everyone could have told them how it would work, It looks even more ridiculous when Corrie was shoved to seven o'clock just two weeks ago.

One thing it does illustrate is that in the past the Beeb would always run scared of Corrie if it was out of its usual slot, if it was ever moved later on a Sunday because of the Grand Prix the Beeb would immediately change all their schedules to work around it, no matter how stupid it looked. But nowadays they run a normal schedule against it - I know it had a big landmark series in it, but usually they wouldn't put anything of any value there - and they hold up perfectly well. A decade or so ago BBC1 would never have got those ratings up against a schedule of Corrie and football, though ITV would never have scheduled so badly.

The constant rescheduling of Corrie is now beyond a joke. All it does is annoy its loyal audience. They deserve better than that. Not once has it achieved anything that would make it worth their while.
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, it was mentioned here the other day that the kick-off was at 7.30 by request of ITV but I haven't got a clue why they'd request that.

It wasnt and they didnt.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2274439/England-v-Brazil-Full-programme-England-v-Brazil-party-night-Wembley.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
  • Options
    ronantronant Posts: 4,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The constant rescheduling of Corrie is now beyond a joke. All it does is annoy its loyal audience. They deserve better than that. Not once has it achieved anything that would make it worth their while.

ITV don't learn at all though. For example for the next two Thursdays Europa League football is on ITV. So they put Emmerdale at 6.45, reducing the regional news to just 15 minutes. The ITV Regional News is still one of the channel's most watched programme of the day with a good 4m, but of course changes like this will just continue to send more and more people over to BBC1. BBC1 would only do that for a major championships, never ever for a run of the mill Europa League match.

The News at 10 is regularly being pushed later now. In the next two weeks it will start late on three occasions (two Europa League matches and the Brit Awards) Sure they might think it doesnt matter now with its rubbish ratings. But why are its ratings rubbish? Because its been moved all over the schedule.
  • Options
    centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Servalan wrote: »
    All your arguments have rather evaporated in the light of this morning's news about Being Human ending - which must have been known when the series was commissioned. Lots of bouquets passing between Touchpaper and the BBC - but no clear reason for ending the show: 'making the way for new talent' is hardly the same as 'we will be commissioning more drama for BBC Three now BH is ending'.

You could argue it either way. BBC Three might have told the creators that they would only get another series if the ratings were stunning - and then moved swiftly to wield the axe once (in part due to scheduling) the ratings fell for the show's return. We will see whether there is a "proper" conclusion to this season/series in a very few weeks.

In any event, it's not a bad or mad decision - creatively the show was IMO past its best.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Really good for the football last night. I wasn't expecting no way near an almost 7m average. That's a great figure compared to how some games have rated in the past. Africa held up remarkably well too. An awesome series from start to finish.

As for Corrie. Not unexpected at all. I thought it would have cleared 6m exc +1 but the 10 minute delay probably didn't help. The constant rescheduling of Corrie and Emmerdale (2 hour longs already this year clashing with EE and two more to come over the next few Thursday's starting at 6.45pm) is just ridiculous. Decide which slots to use and keep them there for god sake. Corrie's 5.8m is poor and will probably be one of its lowest ratings of 2013. Tonight at 8.30pm would have suited Corrie better. A brief return to the old Thursday slot of just over 3 years. It would have averaged at least 7-8m in that slot IMO.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    GeorgeS wrote: »

That at least explains the odd start time.

I championed the move back to Wednesdays for Corrie for a while but I wonder if it's proving more of a headache than when it was on Thursdays and as such rarely had to be moved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That at least explains the odd start time.

I championed the move back to Wednesdays for Corrie for a while but I wonder if it's proving more of a headache than when it was on Thursdays and as such rarely had to be moved.

Will ITV have to keep moving Corrie then this year with other football commitments on Wednesdays? :confused::o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ronant wrote: »
    The News at 10 is regularly being pushed later now. In the next two weeks it will start late on three occasions (two Europa League matches and the Brit Awards) Sure they might think it doesnt matter now with its rubbish ratings. But why are its ratings rubbish? Because its been moved all over the schedule.

that all stems from ITV's disastrous decisions to axe NAT back in late 90's under pressure from advertisers. They had about one month's worth of film programming that justified the later timeslot for the news, then the rest of the schedule ended up looking very anaemic.

News At Ten became News At When? BBC quite logically decided to mop up the viewers who wanted a news programme at 10pm and ITV were forever on the back foot.

Having NAT is better than not having it, but most people prefer to the Beeb's output when there's head-to-head clashes

If ITV had just originally decided to move NAT on the odd Weds for uninterrupted films/sports events/one off shows then maybe things wouldn't be so bad for what was an ITV brand name. The case for wholesale moving of NAT was weak, as was shown by the lacklustre schedule two months in
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Also I notice Hollyoaks is doing extremely well at the moment. Over 1m for the C4 showing and over 800k for the E4 showing. Not sure if anything big is happening now - but those are some pretty decent figures for it.
This discussion has been closed.