BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Obviously cancelled out by the Mail reading Sky journalists, who never ever report on sad or negative news - and quote "sky sources" - meaning some third hand rumour from a bloke who spoke anonymously to the local papers.

Least we have a personal option whether to subscribe to the above. We don't with the BBC as you have a TV you have to pay your license fee whether you agree with them or not. With this in mind they should be impartial not only in content but with recruitment policy. Even those on the left of centre are starting to admit this is no longer the case.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Bill Young wrote: »
    Least we have a personal option whether to subscribe to the above. We don't with the BBC as you have a TV you have to pay your license fee whether you agree with them or not. With this in mind they should be impartial not only in content but with recruitment policy. Even those on the left of centre are starting to admit this is no longer the case.

I love this old argument. I pay the licence fee therefore everything the BBC ever does should meet my own personal preferences and exacting standards. You have a personal option not to listen. And so long as you choose not to own a device capable of receiving live broadcasts - if you really did feel strongly - you don't have to pay the licence fee at all!

So you're seriously suggesting that the BBC HR policy should now have a compulsory interview question or tick box on the application form to determine someone's political leanings? Well good luck with that one down the industrial tribunal.

Do you honestly think that stories about rape, depression and racism are purely created by a bunch of lefties, or that equally, members of the Conservative party don't give a toss about those issues?

But hey - because it's the BBC it's OK to have a rant. Because we pay for it and they're not real people, right?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Nolan was just awful last night.
    Nick Ross was trying to have a serious debate - whether you agree or not he is discussing the issue of personal responsibility and crime.
    Nolan showed himself as both biased and ignorant.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nolan was just awful last night.
    Nick Ross was trying to have a serious debate - whether you agree or not he is discussing the issue of personal responsibility and crime.
    Nolan showed himself as both biased and ignorant.

He certainly was appalling !
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this old argument. I pay the licence fee therefore everything the BBC ever does should meet my own personal preferences and exacting standards. You have a personal option not to listen. And so long as you choose not to own a device capable of receiving live broadcasts - if you really did feel strongly - you don't have to pay the licence fee at all!

So you're seriously suggesting that the BBC HR policy should now have a compulsory interview question or tick box on the application form to determine someone's political leanings? Well good luck with that one down the industrial tribunal.

Do you honestly think that stories about rape, depression and racism are purely created by a bunch of lefties, or that equally, members of the Conservative party don't give a toss about those issues?

But hey - because it's the BBC it's OK to have a rant. Because we pay for it and they're not real people, right?

I don't know about the Conservative Party but clearly Victoria's critics here have big problems with these issues.
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wns_195 wrote: »
    I wonder if 5 Live can go a whole week without talking about their favourite subjects - rape, domestic violence, mental illness, welfare reform and racism?

I'm sure Ms Derbyshire will find a way of working at least one into the interview with Sir Chris Hoy in today's show
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Ms Derbyshire will find a way of working at least one into the interview with Sir Chris Hoy in today's show

To those people who always quote "free speech" and "healthy debate" here - in a sentence - is exactly what I've been talking about. Any possible excuse - even when there's no possible connection - yeah, let's have a go anyway. Why not...
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    I don't know about the Conservative Party but clearly Victoria's critics here have big problems with these issues.

It is not so much the issues it is the way she conveys them. I would happily pay a reduced license fee and take my news from ITN or Sky as to me it is more balanced.
    What is stunning about Radio 5 is that when the top sports presenters such as Pougatch, Payne, Inverdale, Oldroyd and now Chapman have been thrown into the hot seat to present news programmes they do it so much better and are much easier to listen to than the likes of Derbyshire, Bacon, Foster and even Foggarty...
    Perhaps Five Live should move to these style presenters all the way through and become an up market Talk Sport with Current affairs? I would welcome this.
    Forum Member

I am not a member of the Conservative Party or indeed any party and never will be. All I can say that as a floating centre voter the day time Five Live comes across to me as leftist biased and I say this as opinion with no axe to grind.

I have made the point in my previous post as to how much better the top flight sports presenters are when they present news and topical programmes. The likes of Pougatch, Payne, Oldroyd and Inverdale make Derbyshire and Bacon in my opinion look totally out of their depth. They also come across as more balanced and fair minded.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi Bill

Thanks for your posts. I welcome your comment that you have no problem with the subjects that are sometimes raised on Victoria's show but you dislike how they are covered. The impression some critics here give is that they want cheering up rather than discussing issues they seem to think are unimportant.

It would help me though if you could not only say what you don't like about coverage say of a story of Domestic Violence and just as important let us know how you think it should be dealt with.

Bias like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I would argue that there are various matters about which I would not expect any broadcast organisation to be neutral. The murder in Woolwich last week is an obvious example but I would add rape, domestic violence and racism to that list.

Opinions of presenters differ. Victoria I can take or leave, Fogarty is okay and I like Anna Foster(she stood up to George Galloway). I don't much care for Richard Bacon but it's worth noting that Capital Radio won an award for its 7/7 coverege and that it was anchored by Mr. B himself. All of which goes to show how few presenters are universally liked.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything about BBC presenters using limited companies to shelter their earnings from higher rate tax ?

It
    (BBC)may be no different to other workplaces in trying to avoid tax
    but as recently 5live investigates were obsessed with the scandal of supply teachers teaching the nation's future but paying little tax through off shore payroll (they were trying to reduce their tax bill and they were at the lower rate) certainly not pigs at the trough and just trying to make a living and of multitude of coverage of Google etc.
    So if they do so as lone drinker suggests then it could be seen as a bit hypocritical to ignore themselves that's all.

Was great to hear news of the isle of man TT on breakfast...
    unfortunately as usual we don't hear the sports results side on BBC ever I knew we'd get news on it but as only ever it's only yeported when there's a death involved....
    RIP yonisisho matsushita.....sympathies to your family....
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised to see no comment on the Five Live lead this morning, concerning the tens of thousands of people out on police bail for months and sometimes years on end. A good bit of journalism I thought.

Ahh, right. I see my mistake...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Bill Young wrote: »
    It is not so much the issues it is the way she conveys them. I would happily pay a reduced license fee and take my news from ITN or Sky as to me it is more balanced.
    What is stunning about Radio 5 is that when the top sports presenters such as Pougatch, Payne, Inverdale, Oldroyd and now Chapman have been thrown into the hot seat to present news programmes they do it so much better and are much easier to listen to than the likes of Derbyshire, Bacon, Foster and even Foggarty...
    Perhaps Five Live should move to these style presenters all the way through and become an up market Talk Sport with Current affairs? I would welcome this.

When did Chappers present news programmes?
    Forum Member
    jkcook wrote: »

AFAIK he presented one programme on the day of the BBC strike. From what I remember of it, he basically linked a load of old interviews from earlier in the day.
    Forum Member
    jkcook wrote: »

Only when scheduled sports programmes are over ridden by ground breaking news items. I admit the other 4 mentioned are far more proficient in that department. However i would not be surprised if Chappers followed their example in due course.
    Forum Member
    AFAIK he presented one programme on the day of the BBC strike. From what I remember of it, he basically linked a load of old interviews from earlier in the day.

My bad, before others say it. 'twas Ian Paye I was referring to...

Regarding Inverdale, he's successfully crossed the news/sport boundary for many years and yes, others could do well to learn from him. A true master.
  • NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm surprised to see no comment on the Five Live lead this morning, concerning the tens of thousands of people out on police bail for months and sometimes years on end. A good bit of journalism I thought.

Ahh, right. I see my mistake...

Thanks for the reminder! I was thinking the same thing as I listened to it. I was shocked to hear that man's story about being on bail for fraud for 2 years and then let go 'coz they had nothing on him (not to mention what his wife went through as well). It wouldn't have occured to me that such things happened. Poor bloke - the stress and worry. And he still doesn't know wy the police dropped his bail.

I checked out LBC at the same time. Still talking about Woolwich over there, so yeah, it was a good original scoop by the 5Live team, I think.
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Hi Bill

Thanks for your posts. I welcome your comment that you have no problem with the subjects that are sometimes raised on Victoria's show but you dislike how they are covered. The impression some critics here give is that they want cheering up rather than discussing issues they seem to think are unimportant.

It would help me though if you could not only say what you don't like about coverage say of a story of Domestic Violence and just as important let us know how you think it should be dealt with.

Bias like beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. I would argue that there are various matters about which I would not expect any broadcast organisation to be neutral. The murder in Woolwich last week is an obvious example but I would add rape, domestic violence and racism to that list.

Opinions of presenters differ. Victoria I can take or leave, Fogarty is okay and I like Anna Foster(she stood up to George Galloway). I don't much care for Richard Bacon but it's worth noting that Capital Radio won an award for its 7/7 coverege and that it was anchored by Mr. B himself. All of which goes to show how few presenters are universally liked.

Fair and valid question Phil. I like many am hooked on Five Live for it's excellent Sports coverage and current affairs. Hence my switch from radio 4 and 2 when it was set up and for me it has continued to be my favourite station.
    However in recent times in my opinion there has been a sea change probably under the previous controller who in truth should not still be in the BBC post Savil.
    The problem is day time. "Your Call" comes across as rigged to me now in that 9 callers ring in on one side, one minority caller against yet they are given equal airtime and texts are read out tip for tat and not representative of the weight of opinion. Campbell's professionalism ensures this programme survives.
    As for VD i feel she is presenting the wrong show on the wrong station. The programmes obsession with minority issues which are beefed up as if they were major issues combined with her morose intense style makes it a very heavy two hours. Not only that she does not have the banter with other presenters you get on other programmes and this makes it even heavier. I feel she would be better on Woman's Hour, Loose Women on TV or LBC.
    Bacon on Five Live too is a fish out of water. He has a very poor knowledge of sport but does manage to pull in some good guests but his irritating continual interuptions often kill the interviews. 6 Music seems to be his spiritual home.
    I suppose what I am really advocating is an upmarket Talk Sport/Sky News type station with heavy weight presenters like Inverdale, Payne, Oldroyd and Pougatch along with stalwarts like Campbell, Burden and Allen. Of the new crop I like Phil Williams, Tony Livesey and Caroline Barker but miss Gabby and Mayo. Not everbodies cup of tea I know but at the moment I feel they are trying to cater for everones tastes without success. I now find myself regularly tuning away in frustration. Perhaps the staion needs splitting in two to cater for both sectors.
  • superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    Bill,

Agree with most of that, but not Burden please! The leader of the "throaty women"
    Forum Member
    I think Bill makes some decent points, and thankfully - unlike the one that immediately followed - it contained constructive comments, rather than the same old nastiness that we've come to expect from some.

I'm not sure about Your Call being "rigged" - Bill thinks the weight of opinion is skewed, but my view is that some people confuse impartiality with absolute balance. If that were the case, the morning after Woolwich we'd have had just as many calls from EDL supporters than those condemning the attack. The reality of producing a phone in show (which I have done) is that an ideal "mix" of callers doesn't always emerge. You can ask some guests in advance, but really it should be reacting to those actually calling in. Some of the "best" callers often don't come until later.

VD's topics have been discussed in some detail so I won't go over old ground. But one person's "minority" issue can actually be a very big deal by those affected. I get the impression that many (male?) contributors to this thread are just a bit too uncomfortable with some parts of real life. The "I don't want to hear..." attitude in parts of this thread would appear to back up my point.

Billy's other arguments centre around presenters which he likes, which is valid - but at the same time objective. Personally I think that Bacon is a welcome contrast from the hard news shows either side of the slot? Sure,meh sometimes comes across as a bit of a buffoon but on the other hand at least it's relaxed and done with good humour.

Bill is also right when he suggests Five Live is perhaps trying to be all things to all people, at least when it comes to news, sport and talk. Well that's the consequence of a station having such a wide remit, and maybe the BBC Trust should have narrowed or focussed its remit in the last Service Licence review.
    Forum Member
    I think Bill makes some decent points, and thankfully - unlike the one that immediately followed - it contained constructive comments, rather than the same old nastiness that we've come to expect from some.

I'm not sure about Your Call being "rigged" - Bill thinks the weight of opinion is skewed, but my view is that some people confuse impartiality with absolute balance. If that were the case, the morning after Woolwich we'd have had just as many calls from EDL supporters than those condemning the attack. The reality of producing a phone in show (which I have done) is that an ideal "mix" of callers doesn't always emerge. You can ask some guests in advance, but really it should be reacting to those actually calling in. Some of the "best" callers often don't come until later.

VD's topics have been discussed in some detail so I won't go over old ground. But one person's "minority" issue can actually be a very big deal by those affected. I get the impression that many (male?) contributors to this thread are just a bit too uncomfortable with some parts of real life. The "I don't want to hear..." attitude in parts of this thread would appear to back up my point.

Billy's other arguments centre around presenters which he likes, which is valid - but at the same time objective. Personally I think that Bacon is a welcome contrast from the hard news shows either side of the slot? Sure,meh sometimes comes across as a bit of a buffoon but on the other hand at least it's relaxed and done with good humour.

Bill is also right when he suggests Five Live is perhaps trying to be all things to all people, at least when it comes to news, sport and talk. Well that's the consequence of a station having such a wide remit, and maybe the BBC Trust should have narrowed or focussed its remit in the last Service Licence review.

You are right M R - skewed is a far better adjective to describe Your Call.
    There is no doubt that Bacon and Derbyshire attract (probably rightly) much of the criticism on this site. Bacon in his mid 30's still comes across as a inmature rebellious public school boy while Derbyshire's programme has become the haven for many minority interests and freaks. Editorial choice seems to leave a lot to be desired and you get the feeling that the presenter herself has had a strong voice in propelling the 10.00am - noon slot along this path. I would love to see these programmes replaced by heavy weight news/sport presenters with gravitas and no apparent axe to grind.
    In spite of these two failings Five Live remains my main port of call although i am sat here listening to TS and Allan Brasil!
  • charon7charon7 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    The Chris Hoy interview yesterday was excellent,a superb cyclist and thoroughly engaging individual, although poor Chris was greeted with an empty studio, as yet again Derbyshire absented herself from conducting the interview in person, if guests can make the effort to be personally present on such ocassions , then surely the same should be expected of the programme`s host.
  • curmycurmy Posts: 4,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well her kiddies are on half term , you couldn't possibly expect her to be in Salford ;)

I see VD gave plenty of air time to Shaker Aamer, Moassam Begg & Clive Stafford Smith the human rights lawyer this morning !
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    curmy wrote: »
    I see VD gave plenty of air time to Shaker Aamer, Moassam Begg & Clive Stafford Smith the human rights lawyer this morning !

Yes, we know whose side the BBC is on. You won't find the BBC Guardianistas cheering at the end of Zero Dark Thirty.
  • hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shaker Aamer is on hunger strike, and drinks only tea and coffee.
    Yet VD failed to ask the question I'm sure many would like to know.
    "How much weight have you lost?"
This discussion has been closed.