Options

Sky removing RF2 voltage? (Merged)

Comments

• Options
    liamhereliamhere Posts: 2,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok...as you want to be silly...i will leave that with you.....
    i will so be enjoying the "i told you so dance"
    have a nice day.

i have my tri link on stand by
  • Options
    chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    liamhere wrote: »
    have a nice day.

the new version of the software that has just started to be rolled out to Amstrad boxes doesn't have it turned off, so that suggests your source is wrong.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.B wrote: »
    does this have the same capabilities as a magic eye,

ie change channels etc?
    I saw some that have the ability to change the channel form another room, don't know if they work with Sky boxes though.
    I only bought a basic unit that did not have this.
    and can you watch in HD on the 2nd TV?
    HD video senders are available, but they are expensive.
    and what equipment do you need if you have a non Wi-Fi (2nd) TV?
    Just the video senders, the communicate between themselves without connecting to the internet
    all i want to do is watch sky and recordings from my one box in 3 different locations around the house
    You used to be able to do this by using a distribution amplifier that allowed the magic eye to pass through meaning the eyes work in each room, but I only know of this because my neighbour has it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    the new version of the software that has just started to be rolled out to Amstrad boxes doesn't have it turned off, so that suggests your source is wrong.

It still seems unbelievable that Sky would disable the RF2 power output globally with no way to re-enable it. They're still selling magic eyes on http://accessories.sky.com/ after all!

But I wonder if there's some truth somewhere in this rumour:

One interesting point is that the DRX895W and DRX890W have their I/O port power off by default, and it only comes on when you enable the RF2 power.

On the DRX595, the I/O port power is always on, and the RF2 power setting (I believe) only controls the RF2 power. I wonder if this rumoured software update is bringing the DRX595 into line with the DRX890W/DRX895W.

liamhere - any chance the above is what your source is referring to?
  • Options
    CTD101CTD101 Posts: 4,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    liamhere wrote: »
    have a nice day.

i have my tri link on stand by

Hope you took some Red Bull because you are going to be dancing for a long time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    jogu wrote: »
    It still seems unbelievable that Sky would disable the RF2 power output globally with no way to re-enable it. They're still selling magic eyes on http://accessories.sky.com/ after all!
    /QUOTE]

Trust me, those RF2's are going off.....

multiscreen and planner share will replace
  • Options
    timo_w2stimo_w2s Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Trust me, not in my house. I'll never ever pay Sky extra for the privilege of watching TV in the kitchen occasionally (or any other room for that matter).

Heck, I won't even pay extra for HD... :D
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    Eventually yes, but not for a long time yet.
    If Sky don't want people to use the legacy magic eye system any more, why have they put a port on the latest boxes to allow it using a piece of add-on hardware even though it's no longer built in? Disabling the facility on legacy boxes would make no sense whatsoever!
    :)
  • Options
    big_hard_ladbig_hard_lad Posts: 4,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping this doesn't happen for quite a while. I have my TV mounted on the wall above a cupboard which has my box in it. I then have a magic eye coming from the cupboard and behind the TV to be able to use my remote without opening the cupboard door.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Hoping this doesn't happen for quite a while. I have my TV mounted on the wall above a cupboard which has my box in it. I then have a magic eye coming from the cupboard and behind the TV to be able to use my remote without opening the cupboard door.

I doesn't seem likely to EVER happen - there's no reason, or advantage for Sky, to do so, and only a tiny number of people on here have ever made any such silly suggestions.

As others here have said, Sky have only recently released brand new WiFi boxes, and these still provide the magic eye and modulator system, via an external adaptor admittedly, but it's still there.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why would they "go off" - the hardware is there, it's paid for, there is no reason at all why Sky would even consider disabling the output. The more sensible approach is the one they have actually taken - remove the modulator but make it available as an addon for those who want it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    Sorry for dragging this up again but...

I have 2x DRX890 with a MR/MS sub.

I also have TVLink's distributor and combiner, F140 & SPC4F.

These feed another 3 TV's with Magic Eyes.

If I get a new box without RF will I lose anything if I get that IO adapter?

My Freeview comes in via one STB. Then out via RF2.

Would the dist and comb need a power adapter?

Would the future "Planner Sharing" render it all useless? 3 TV's don't have a STB....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only thing you lose with the IO adaptor (as far as I know, as I've never seen one) is the RF1 output, it only has a single RF output - with power and magic eye capability.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry for dragging this up again but...

I have 2x DRX890 with a MR/MS sub.

I also have TVLink's distributor and combiner, F140 & SPC4F.

These feed another 3 TV's with Magic Eyes.

If I get a new box without RF will I lose anything if I get that IO adapter?

My Freeview comes in via one STB. Then out via RF2.

Would the dist and comb need a power adapter?

You'd probably need one PSU / power injector each place you have an I/O link - basically the I/O link only provides enough power for a single magic eye, so whatever is connected directly to the I/O link needs either to have it's own PSU, or you'll need a psu + power injector before it.
    Would the future "Planner Sharing" render it all useless? 3 TV's don't have a STB....

I don't think Sky have announced pricing for that yet, but I think you can assume you'd need to pay extra for each tv ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only thing you lose with the IO adaptor (as far as I know, as I've never seen one) is the RF1 output, it only has a single RF output - with power and magic eye capability.

On one of the links above you can see it has aerial in and rf(2) out.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You'd probably need one PSU / power injector each place you have an I/O link - basically the I/O link only provides enough power for a single magic eye, so whatever is connected directly to the I/O link needs either to have it's own PSU, or you'll need a psu + power injector before it.

I don't think Sky have announced pricing for that yet, but I think you can assume you'd need to pay extra for each tv ;)

If they drop the power that is? I could have two mains adapters in the roof I guess for the dist & combi.

From what I understand about planner sharing you need a box for each tv. I obv won't need that if I can keep my existing system.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If they drop the power that is? I could have two mains adapters in the roof I guess for the dist & combi.

No - this is a separate issue related to the I/O link - it only provides enough power for a single magic eye, so if your SPC4 / F140 are currently being powered by the RF2 port you would need power injectors / PSUs.

It's a difference between the I/O link and the old style proper RF2 ports - the I/O link current rating is far lower, it seems it's only enough for a magic eye, not enough to power an amplifier etc - see http://www.gionlineshop.co.uk/product_detail.php?code=F101972&product=iO-LINK&sm=3 which mentions it (" When used inline with our T120/T140 distribution amplifiers a 12 volt power supply will be required (F700010).").
    From what I understand about planner sharing you need a box for each tv. I obv won't need that if I can keep my existing system.

Indeed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bugger. I bet they'd fail to mention that if I explained my set up.

I do have a lighting circuit in the roof and an immersion on the tank I could maybe steal from.

Would mean I could put wifi in the roof too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bugger. I bet they'd fail to mention that if I explained my set up.

I do have a lighting circuit in the roof and an immersion on the tank I could maybe steal from.

Would mean I could put wifi in the roof too.

Simplest solution would be a PSU + power injector ( http://www.gionlineshop.co.uk/product_detail.php?code=F100549&product=DCI%20DC%20Inserter&sm=3 ), as then you don't need to worry about wiring up your loft! (The injector can be down next to the I/O link)

I can't 100% figure out if you'd need 1 or 2 of these (I don't know if the I/O link provides enough power for the SPC4 or not). May be worth asking global directly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    On one of the links above you can see it has aerial in and rf(2) out.

That's what I said - a single RF out :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Simplest solution would be a PSU + power injector ( http://www.gionlineshop.co.uk/product_detail.php?code=F100549&product=DCI%20DC%20Inserter&sm=3 ), as then you don't need to worry about wiring up your loft! (The injector can be down next to the I/O link)

I can't 100% figure out if you'd need 1 or 2 of these (I don't know if the I/O link provides enough power for the SPC4 or not). May be worth asking global directly.

I guess I'd be losing the wifi adapter psu. Still £30ish per box if needed....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Although it would need to be always on to distribute. Currently only my stb stays on, tv, wifi, atv etc all get killed at the mains.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That's what I said - a single RF out :D

I meant you can see one.

Rang Sky who said I/O link would be enough to power it...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actually if I kill the MR box the whole system fails so it at least needs two boxes, hopefully one I/O link. Asking now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surely a normal RF2 gives 9v and these are 12v.

So for every box I replace with wifi I could "fix" with iO, PSU and DCi. About £45.

Or iO and PSU in roof for about £35.

The higher voltage should improve the signal at least.