Options

Making an advent calendar for a someone

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 634
Forum Member
✭✭
So basically I've bought one of those advent calendar things were you put the presents in your self. Its for an 18 year old girl and basically its harder finding 24 small gifts to give that aren't completely tacky or just crap than I thought haha.
So was wondering if anyone had any ideas on things that are like a couple inches big? Girls, what would you like to get from something like this?

Comments

• Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    Personally I would want chocolate :p I'm considering doing this for my 8 year brother so completely different age/gender group but I was thinking of putting small bags of chocolate and sweets in a few days so there's less gifts to buy.
  • Options
    jarryhackjarryhack Posts: 5,076
    Forum Member
    I've always done this for my 2 lad and just put fun size Mars bars, twix etc in. What about some nail varnish, lipstick, or other make up items. Could get expensive though.
  • Options
    rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    I've thought about it a bit more and I agree with jarryhack, make up is a good one, go for the cheaper brands which can still be quite good. Maybe a compact mirror? Also look on ebay, you can get some decent quality jewellery quite cheap. If you order now you should have time to get something delivered from china which is where the cheapest stuff comes from. Personally I've only every had one item from there that I would consider cheap and nasty.

Are either of them fans of anything? You could get some small fan related trinkets (e.g. a little model of a TARDIS or something). Maybe a keyring?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did this for my niece and bought the gift sets of mini nail polish and perfumes to split up. That was my only big expense. Other than that I had chocs, badges, mini soaps, individual hair masks etc (see the travel section in Boots) and I also asked for samples at the make-up and perfume counters in department stores when I was buying other Christmas gifts and they were brilliant. Dior gave me a heap of stuff when I told them what I was doing!

I think it worked out at about £1 a day and she loved it.
  • Options
    OcdGirlOcdGirl Posts: 12,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also maybe put notes inside for things to do together? Like go to the cinema? or go out for lunch? or go for a shopping trip?
  • Options
    grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she's anything like the 18 year olds in our area, then a different condom for each day would be useful! Especially at Xmas / new Year when inhibitions go out the window!

If she's a student (even more use for the condoms!) then what about different food items that she could use at uni?
  • Options
    tigragirltigragirl Posts: 13,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think boots do one of these, £60 worth of stuff for £30. They put lots of mini this and that in. What about a lipsalve,nail foils or little gems, face packs, mini shampoo and stuff you can pick up in Tesco or superdrug.
    What about asking some of the make up and perfume counters for samples.
    Actually, I think I would go around all the perfume places to collect samples and try and put one of those in for each day and top up with choccies if I didn't have 25. I might just do that myself and see how many I can collect just out of interest.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just go for chocolates, girls love them. Get nice ones though, like liquers or Belgian chocolates or something like that. If it's for a girlfriend, look for heart shaped ones.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe a few miniature books might be fun.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did this for my other half last year. Each day had a Lindt choc (she loves those) and a mix of personal jokes, little love notes I had written and naughty vouchers entitling her to various things. ;) It was much appreciated :D
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Novelty key-ring, charm for a charm bracelet, small hair accessory, novelty pencil-sharpener, tiny torch, compass, cheap jewellery, tiny notebook, fridge magnet.
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote:
    Each day had a Lindt choc (she loves those)
    Lindt chocolate is nice:D