Options

can sleeping with ear plugs in damage your hearing long term ?

2»

Comments

• Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I would be worried that I'd miss the sound of the smoke alarm going off, or a burglar breaking in, or something, if I wore earplugs.

I think you'd still hear the smoke alarm. As for a burglar, trust me, you're better off not knowing.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you'd still hear the smoke alarm. As for a burglar, trust me, you're better off not knowing.

Really? But I want to creep downstairs and hit them over the head with a frying pan, or at least lock myself in the bathroom and call the police.
  • Options
    trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use them often, as if a leaf falls of a tree in the garden, I'm awake. In summer, when I have to open the window, they are essential since the CAA shifted the flight path from LCY right over my house. First plane is 07:00, and they are in full climb.

I do get a rumbling tinitus from time to time, but I don't think it's the earplugs. I never go anywhere with out them (well, Sainsburys, obviously!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Really? But I want to creep downstairs and hit them over the head with a frying pan, or at least lock myself in the bathroom and call the police.

We got burgled and I lay frozen with fear until they went. Ignorance would have been bliss.
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We got burgled and I lay frozen with fear until they went. Ignorance would have been bliss.

Sorry to hear that - I can't really imagine how terrifying that must have been.
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    I use them often, as if a leaf falls of a tree in the garden, I'm awake. In summer, when I have to open the window, they are essential since the CAA shifted the flight path from LCY right over my house. First plane is 07:00, and they are in full climb.

I do get a rumbling tinitus from time to time, but I don't think it's the earplugs. I never go anywhere with out them (well, Sainsburys, obviously!).
    I've got constant tinnitus. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Hope they didn't look in the heating vent..... ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My sympathies. Must be awful.

Very neglected condition.
  • Options
    ScottishPancakeScottishPancake Posts: 1,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My sympathies. Must be awful.

Very neglected condition.

It's the worst at night. :(
  • Options
    HeavenlyHeavenly Posts: 31,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wear those orange foams one, been wearing them for about 6 years now, I am a very light sleeper, just means my OH doesn't have to sleep on the couch - so thank goodness for ear plugs - haven't noticed anything detrimental to my hearing.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wuffles wrote: »
    Get some sillicone ones from Boots (£4.50 for three pairs). They're washable and last for months.

They're the ones I use.
    I would be worried that I'd miss the sound of the smoke alarm going off, or a burglar breaking in, or something, if I wore earplugs.

They don't cut off noise completely, just muffle it to a level at which you can sleep. I still hear my son if he wakes up, my alarm going off, the door knocker etc.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Hope they didn't look in the heating vent..... ;-)

Or the false plug socket.
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Earplugs don't block out all noise - for example I still hear the baby cry - but they do black out a lot of noise that prevents me sleeping (outside noise / OH snoring)
  • Options
    Utopian GirlUtopian Girl Posts: 8,275
    Forum Member
    I actually bought some yesterday as my hubby snores for Britain I swear!>:(
    I love my sleep and have found myself falling asleep with earphones in after watching catch up on my iPhone to drown out the noise - surely theses have to be better, safer than strangling myself with earphones?:o

I bought a pair that came with an eye blind fold thing - it was the only pack my local chemist had. Any recommendations or are they basically the same?

I don't think I'd wear them every night - only when hubby is at his best!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Earplugs don't block out all noise - for example I still hear the baby cry - but they do black out a lot of noise that prevents me sleeping (outside noise / OH snoring)

Yeah, I still hear the baby. I can also hear my wife snoring sometimes but they block out a huge amount of noise. The alarm is a soft welcoming start to the day with earplugs in!
  • Options
    Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 26,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any recommendations or are they basically the same?

There are differences between different earplugs, there can be quite a difference in the noise reduction ratings (there will be a number labelled "SNR" - single number reading, or three number H/M/L for high/medium/low frequencies. Posh ones will have a table for noise reduction across eight octaves). Basically, the higher the number the more it will reduce the sound levels in the ear. That data only become useful when you are using them as ear protection in a noisy environment. That's where you measure the workplace noise and calculate the daily weighted exposure to the worker. Then you need to find the right rating protection to bring it down under the personal daily exposure levels. (Of course, the first course of action is reducing the emitted noise at source).

If anyone truly has trouble sleeping, I'd reccomend reading "The Control Of Noise at Work Regulations 2005"
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here in left ear.
    I find when I have a build up of wax it gets worse so they I use the ear drops to clear it.
    Gets less severe after that.
    Try ear drops regularly