Options

Trivial things that annoy you intensely. (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    Finny SkeletaFinny Skeleta Posts: 2,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Do people say WinAmp is archaic?

I've used it for years and have the app on my phone with wifi transfers.

Archaic as in it's not all new and shiny. It's a very workmanlike bit of software and that's why I like it. It's not flash but it does the job twenty times better than the likes of iTunes or Media Player.
  • Options
    Loz KernowLoz Kernow Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When people say "PIN number" - what do they think the 'N' of PIN stands for???
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Loz Kernow wrote: »
    When people say "PIN number" - what do they think the 'N' of PIN stands for???

They don't know and that is the annoying thing.....A bit like people who say Tannoy when they mean public address system, Tannoy is a brand name. AHA!!!
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It being still light outside at ~9:30pm - this just feels wrong.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    McEnroe doing the VO for Wimbledon say "twenny thrd June"

It's the twenty third of June!!!
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    cris182 wrote: »
    They don't know and that is the annoying thing.....A bit like people who say Tannoy when they mean public address system, Tannoy is a brand name. AHA!!!

...... and "hoovering", no, it's "vacuuming"!
  • Options
    aspijackaspijack Posts: 1,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »

And Draw when it's Drawer and Pacific instead od Specific.
  • Options
    Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aspijack wrote: »
    And Draw when it's Drawer and Pacific instead od Specific.
    cris182 wrote: »

I know that Hoover is a brand name, but I still use it as a verb, in the same way that people often say "let me Google that"; Google is a perfectly legitimate action and a well-known brand name too.

Another trivial thing that gets me goat is the word "hobnobbing". Don't see it used often, but it just conjures up dirty images in my innocent mind :p
  • Options
    Angela FAngela F Posts: 3,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Football and everything connected to it - so bloody boring!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Angela F wrote: »
    Football and everything connected to it - so bloody boring!

If/When England play in a quarter final then go to a pub and think the same :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 142
    Forum Member
    Winamp is brilliant. Anyone who sneers at it purely because it's not the latest shiny thing is an idiot.
  • Options
    makavelli132makavelli132 Posts: 1,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The term 'going viral'

Some old nurse used the term yesterday to try and sound cool when talking about her friends dance video online.

Just hate the term. Cringe.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    Don't feel trivial but just got a cold call asking me "do you want compensation for your disabled child? Was it a birth injury?"

How the sod do they even know? Have DLA sold the list of parents whose kids apply?

No I don't want compensation for my beautiful, perfect child thank you
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    shmisk wrote: »
    Don't feel trivial but just got a cold call asking me "do you want compensation for your disabled child? Was it a birth injury?"

How the sod do they even know? Have DLA sold the list of parents whose kids apply?

No I don't want compensation for my beautiful, perfect child thank you

Any box linked to it you may have ticked on any form ever could be the cause
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1. My daughter's new friend.

Nice person, but her heavy use of 'I don't suppose...' had me wanting to throttle her this morning.

"I don't suppose we can go to that shop?"
    "Ugh, I don't have a knife. I don't suppose you could pass me the knife from that table?"
    "I don't suppose you mind if I take a break and sit here?"
    "That dress, uh, I don't suppose I could afford it."
    "I don't suppose we can have that top?"

2. I dislike how the Google category section swap its categories around after each search.

1st search: Web | Images | Maps | Video | Shopping | Search tools
    2nd search: Web | Shopping | Images | Maps | Videos | More
    3rd search: Web | Maps | News | Images | Search tools
    4th search: Web | Videos | News | Images | More

I'm aware it's meant to be helpful, but I keep ending up clicking on Maps or whatnot when I wanted Images or whatnot. Every damn time. I don't want to pause and look at the sections before clicking on the one I want. I want to do it blind. :cry:

Don't be surprised when I end up doing this some day. It'll happen. I can feel it in my bones.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    It being still light outside at ~9:30pm - this just feels wrong.

It's so annoying that it's light outside til after bedtime where I am. Damn you summer *shakes fist*
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    1. My daughter's new friend.

Nice person, but her heavy use of 'I don't suppose...' had me wanting to throttle her this morning.

"I don't suppose we can go to that shop?"
    "Ugh, I don't have a knife. I don't suppose you could pass me the knife from that table?"
    "I don't suppose you mind if I take a break and sit here?"
    "That dress, uh, I don't suppose I could afford it."
    "I don't suppose we can have that top?"

2. I dislike how the Google category section swap its categories around after each search.

1st search: Web | Images | Maps | Video | Shopping | Search tools
    2nd search: Web | Shopping | Images | Maps | Videos | More
    3rd search: Web | Maps | News | Images | Search tools
    4th search: Web | Videos | News | Images | More

I'm aware it's meant to be helpful, but I keep ending up clicking on Maps or whatnot when I wanted Images or whatnot. Every damn time. I don't want to pause and look at the sections before clicking on the one I want. I want to do it blind. :cry:

Don't be surprised when I end up doing this some day. It'll happen. I can feel it in my bones.

Ha ha - brilliant!!

I don't suppose it will, tho!! :D
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Another trivial thing that gets me goat is the word "hobnobbing". Don't see it used often, but it just conjures up dirty images in my innocent mind :p

I hate the term "touching base" they say it all the time in my work and it makes me think of touching cloth ^_^
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Do people say WinAmp is archaic?

I've used it for years and have the app on my phone with wifi transfers.
    I tried and it says it's no longer available >:(

Is there anything that will simply display your tracks in the order that you want them in?

No Albums, Artists, Genres or anything else: just a plain and simple list of tracks in alphabetical order from which to compile a playlist.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Intense trivia
  • Options
    ianradioianianradioian Posts: 74,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Why do so many people call a woman an actor instead of actress?

2) Why do so many people call a woman a comedian instead of a comedienne?

Two very trivial things that annoy me.:blush:

This gets my goat as well.
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    that Camelot are taking their sweet time sending me that "you won the Euro Millions" email. >:(
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    .......... AND bl**dy Amazon Cloud Player. I decided to move some tracks across from my music on my PC at work to the cloud player which took hours. Now, Cloud Player has disappeared and all I have is Music Library with empty playlists, wrong genres, no info on the albums and no way of playing anything, like 'play all'. Gggrrrrrrr!
    Why are these players so obsessed with "Genres", which are totally meaningless anyway. I don't want to download any tracks via my phone, just simply to put MY tracks onto MY phone and play them according to MY preference. It can't be that difficult, surely?
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1) Why do so many people call a woman an actor instead of actress?

Because historically women weren't allowed to act, so when they did start acting the word "actress" was used and became synonymous with not being "a proper actor"'. In the 1970s and 80s women began to take back the term actor and it’s often used today.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [/B]

Ha ha - brilliant!!

I don't suppose it will, tho!! :D

You're so evil. >:(
This discussion has been closed.