Options

Cold Sores

kiviraatkiviraat Posts: 4,634
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi there. I think I may have my first ever cold sore, but I'm getting such mixed messages on how you contract them. Some Medical sites are telling me you can't catch them from things like cups and towels and others are saying you can.

I took a sip of Cola from a small bottle on Saturday that my mum had left in the fridge the day before when she came over to visit my grandmother here in the house. Unknown to me, mother has a cold sore (I hadn't seen her that day to notice the whopping great blister on her mouth) so it's the only thing I can think of that would have given me one.

Can anyone point me to the actual truth regarding all possible methods of contraction?

Comments

• Options
    Star_BrightStar_Bright Posts: 11,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who have you been kissing, OP? ;)
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not the only one then! :( A coldsore started emerging on my bottom lip yesterday, it's a bit red at the moment - but have been whacking on the coldsore cream every few hours with a desire to get rid of it QUICKLY!

Bloody things!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does toothpaste help with coldsores, or is that just spots?
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does toothpaste help with coldsores, or is that just spots?

Only if you brush regularly!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only if you brush regularly!

I meant putting the paste on the affected area :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the links :) I was just getting such mixed messages earlier when I was trying to search it. Hopefully I've just pinched my lip in my sleep or something :)

Lol, only been kissing the OH. Now the question could be, who have THEY been kissing :D
  • Options
    Non-EntityNon-Entity Posts: 223
    Forum Member
    Most people contract the virus responsible for coldsores in their childhood, it lays dormant and can erupt at any time into blisters.

I always found drying them up with aftershave works best.
  • Options
    GeorgemcneilGeorgemcneil Posts: 2,201
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non-Entity wrote: »
    Most people contract the virus responsible for coldsores in their childhood, it lays dormant and can erupt at any time into blisters.

Show them whos Boss!
  • Options
    Rapid 17Rapid 17 Posts: 254
    Forum Member
    I know when I have a cold sore coming because I get a tingling sensation near my lips. A remedy that works for me is to put an ice cube into a very thin plastic sandwich bag and hold it against the area where the tingling sensation is for about 10 minutes. I do this about four times a day for two days. Usually this stops the cold sore from erupting.

Geoff.
  • Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Non-Entity wrote: »

If you can get zovirax (or similar) on them the minute you feel the first tingle, they don't usually develop.
    I used to get them from the sun, but now put on total block every time I am in the sun, that seems to hold they at bay. I get mouth ulcers too. Both viruses that you never get rid of.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zovirax cream stops them dead but as the previous posters says you must apply when you first feel the tingle, which is easier said then done.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    Zovirax cream stops them dead but as the previous posters says you must apply when you first feel the tingle, which is easier said then done.

White vinegar does the same I find, for a fraction of the price. I used to get 2 or 3 cold sores a year but haven't had a proper outbreak for a couple of years, you do need to catch it early on like you say, even if I see a little red mark around the edge of lips which might just be a little spot I dab on the vinegar just in case!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got myself some Zovirax when I was in town earlier so hopefully if it is one, I've caught it. thanks for all the replies :)