what will i do with the dog i found??

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
Forum Member
he came into the back yard last night & hes very thin but he has a collar, so i think he might be lost :( hes a jack russell and hes really friendly & looks very well kept, and his housetrained. How will i find out who owns him?? & what will i do if i cant find the owners, i cant keep him because we have 3 Jack russell dogs already & they tried to attack him earlier :( ..we put him outside to see where he goes but he just scratched the door to get back in..i have him in a dog bed in the living room atm but i dont know what to do with him :( helppp :confused:

Comments

• xdowxdow Posts: 2,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i would take him to the vets or a local shelter to see if he has a microchip
    that way he has at least a chance of seeing if his owners can be traced

going to the vets/shelter, you can also check if there are any lost dog posters about
  • 4pounds644pounds64 Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked lost and found pet adverts online? I would just have a google with your postcode/area and see if it turns anything up. :)
  • jjesso123jjesso123 Posts: 5,944
    Forum Member
    Best bet is to to take him to see if he is microchiped

also you could go round the local dog walking places in your area to see any recognise him tomorrow.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 85
    Forum Member
    If there is no microchip then try contacting Dog Lost: http://www.doglost.co.uk (there is a section for people who have found stray dogs). It seems to be one of the biggest websites for advertising missing pets - they have local coordinators who will help you out. Maybe call around your local vets if you have time as the owner may have reported it to them. Your local dog warden might be worth a call too as they will keep a register of people who report their dog missing. Good luck!
  • Hobbit FeetHobbit Feet Posts: 18,798
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phone the local police as well, they keep a list of missing dogs.

If the owner is anything like I was with the cat, every vet in a 20 mile radius, the police. the local council (dog warden) , the RSPCA, petlog, local animal charities will have the details.

Oh and get a local paper in the week, they might have advertised.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think the police have any responsibility towards strays thesedays. Its a local council issue, phone the dog warden to collect or take to a vets for microchip scanning :)
  • JanieBJanieB Posts: 3,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reminds me of years ago when a lovely young German Shepherd called Katie (the name on her collar disc) followed our Lab cross back in to the house from the back garden one evening. Katie had strayed well away from her home and there was a very faded telephone number on her disc but no address. The vets couldn't help (these were the days before microchips were used very much). We put a Found poster with photo up in our local pet shop and someone got in contact. We cared for Katie for a whole week and when we went to return her (which obviously were her owners as she was incredibly pleased to see them), they asked us why we had not returned her earlier to them and slammed the door on our faces.

Charming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 431
    Forum Member
    Nothing further from the op?

Would have been nice to know what happened to the dog.