Boxing

Comments

• Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone with any sort of working hands could beat the living crap out of Audley, it is not any sort of achievement to beat him, in fact I would say, even agreeing to fight him is a sign of desperation for the other boxer.

Spot on.

How the next to useless Audley Harrison keeps getting these big fights is a question that will be asked 65 million years after mankind has died out!:eek:

I would say that Audley Harrison is an embarrassment, but I'm worried that Embarrassment will sue me for defamation of character.

No doubt, he'll do customary taking 18 months off, then pop up with an excuse for his last joke of a performance, then talk his way into a big fight against a Klitschko or something & then the circus will continue.:mad:
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    Audley is finished and he should be thanking his lucky stars that he got where he got in his career. Thats another high profile "fight" where he didn't even land a punch.

Price looked like a boxer on an Atari 2600 1980s computer game and it was still enough to completely outfox Harrison.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cantona07 wrote: »
    Audley is finished and he should be thanking his lucky stars that he got where he got in his career. Thats another high profile "fight" where he didn't even land a punch.

Price looked like a boxer on an Atari 2600 1980s computer game and it was still enough to completely outfox Harrison.

The thing is, Harrison was finished as long ago as 2005 when he lost to Danny Williams in a fight that he could & should have won without breaking sweat, but he was so terrified that he virtually did nothing for 12 rounds.

Harrison will be back; he reminds me of a big bowel moment that no matter how many times you flush the lavatory, it keeps floating back!:eek::o
  • Cantona07Cantona07 Posts: 56,910
    Forum Member
    I don't see a way back from this, even yesterday he was relegated to box nation.

Oh and Fair play to Tyson Fury - the most incoherent call-out in boxing history. Its about time someone literally took him to school!
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there actually anywhere lower than BoxNation? Perhaps a sports gymn broadcasting over the internet? Maybe that will be his next screening?

This surley has to be the lowest an Olympic medal boxer has ever fallen, surley the IOC will be looking to get their medal back, as to not be associated with him!
  • beckham76beckham76 Posts: 1,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    listen at all the Audley Haters! he is a national hero won Gold at the 2000 olympics, in turn he got lottery funding for Amir Khan... and the david prices of this world..
    so it never went to plan as a pro... but he was European champiion! what have you ever done in boxing to think your better than him?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beckham76 wrote: »
    listen at all the Audley Haters! he is a national hero won Gold at the 2000 olympics, in turn he got lottery funding for Amir Khan... and the david prices of this world..
    so it never went to plan as a pro... but he was European champiion! what have you ever done in boxing to think your better than him?

Are you saying that no-one is allowed a negative opinion about anything unless they have done it?

Lets just hope you've never criticised anyone or anything that you haven't particpated in.

PS: Please note that legitimate criticism is not 'hating'; that's school playground talk.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd take that bet :)

In fact, just hitting your desk would be enough to knock him out ..

Audley isn't so much a has been as a never wasser:rolleyes:
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    but he was European champion!

But Audley told us (repeatedly) that it was merely a matter of just turning up before he'd win the world title.

Anyway, I still personally think he'll try and get one more fight because he won't want to go out being humiliated. But then who will actually fight him ?. He has zero credibility as a fighter now, so it's not like any up and coming boxers in this country will want to take him on to make a name for themselves.

He won't necessarily command any kind of major purse now either so his best bet for an opponent would literally be someone who boxes part time and who would be happy to take a few quid to get beaten up.

Although, even saying that, as delusional as Audley is, if he did take on one last fight and actually won, he'd consider his career "back on track" i imagine ..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Audley told us (repeatedly) that it was merely a matter of just turning up before he'd win the world title.

Anyway, I still personally think he'll try and get one more fight because he won't want to go out being humiliated. But then who will actually fight him ?. He has zero credibility as a fighter now, so it's not like any up and coming boxers in this country will want to take him on to make a name for themselves.

He won't necessarily command any kind of major purse now either so his best bet for an opponent would literally be someone who boxes part time and who would be happy to take a few quid to get beaten up.

Although, even saying that, as delusional as Audley is, if he did take on one last fight and actually won, he'd consider his career "back on track" i imagine ..

Too true, but be careful, you might get called a 'hater'.

The criticism he has received is for his failure as professional, which got off to a bad start when he disrespected Danny Williams by claiming he'd be British Champion within 5 fights.

I wouldn't have minded him saying that had he even tried to achieve it, but he spent his first 10 fights boxing fitness instructors, bus drivers, plumbers & Avon ladies & didn't even look convincing doing that.

He deserves all the criticism he gets IMO.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you saying that no-one is allowed a negative opinion about anything unless they have done it?

Lets just hope you've never criticised anyone or anything that you haven't particpated in.

PS: Please note that legitimate criticism is not 'hating'; that's school playground talk.
    i said what have you ever done in boxing to think your better than him... that was all...
    And the haters is for the haters.. there is people who genuinly hate Audley!
    I think he has had a great career compared to some.. Olympic Gold medal, European champion in the pros not many can say they done that..
    dont get me wrong when he won that gold in 2000 i was convinced he would become world champion in the pro's too.. gutted he didnt! but last night he went out on his sword! he came to fight.. and got KO'd..
    just wish him a speedy recovery and all the best for his retirement... he has done a lot for British boxing, and alot of them turned their back on him...
  • batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How can someone who lasted 82 seconds, "go out on their sword"??
    He came to fight eh? Where was the evidence of that then?? Was that the sane kind of fight that he showed v Haye as well, where he through what was it, a single soft jab in the whole fight??

Sorry, but there is nothing there to defend, heck any defence of him, is better than he could put up for himself in the ring anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i said what have you ever done in boxing to think your better than him... that was all...
    And the haters is for the haters.. there is people who genuinly hate Audley!
    I think he has had a great career compared to some.. Olympic Gold medal, European champion in the pros not many can say they done that..
    dont get me wrong when he won that gold in 2000 i was convinced he would become world champion in the pro's too.. gutted he didnt! but last night he went out on his sword! he came to fight.. and got KO'd..
    just wish him a speedy recovery and all the best for his retirement... he has done a lot for British boxing, and alot of them turned their back on him...

There may well be people that hate Harrison, but I'm not one of them.

As a man to meet & greet, he's actually a very decent bloke.

He just happens to be a very poor professional boxer whose mouth wrote cheques his body couldn't cash & I don't need to have boxed better than him to express that opinion.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he has done a lot for British boxing

It's clear you're a huge fan of his and that's fine, I respect that but you really can't make statements like that and expect to be taken seriously. He's done next to nothing for British Boxing as a professional. I've got no problem with sportsmen having self belief, confidence and even a bit of arrogance but you need to be able to back it up when it matters and Harrison completely failed to do that.

Setting himself up as his own promoter as soon as he turned professional was a huge mistake as well. Not for him, obviously, as he landed the huge contract with the BBC, but from a professional perspective. He clearly needed someone to guide him and find him the right sort of opponent to develop him properly but that didn't happen.
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    beckham76 would you call what hardly moverson does boxing ? in your expert opinion ? as i don't know as i'm not a boxer :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There may well be people that hate Harrison, but I'm not one of them.

As a man to meet & greet, he's actually a very decent bloke.

He just happens to be a very poor professional boxer whose mouth wrote cheques his body couldn't cash & I don't need to have boxed better than him to express that opinion.
    See that i agree with to a certain extent, he did still become European champion!
    l personally think alot of it is selling fights, promoting fights... look at david haye.. he is the same he promotes fights with his lip... and we all know he didnt live up to the hype at times,
    l just feel sorry for the bloke.... and respect his achievements in the ring as a amatur and some of his pro achievements.. he does alot for charity, and always been there for the boxers, who turned their back on him when he needed them.... anyway he finnished now may he find peace..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's clear you're a huge fan of his and that's fine, I respect that but you really can't make statements like that and expect to be taken seriously. He's done next to nothing for British Boxing as a professional. I've got no problem with sportsmen having self belief, confidence and even a bit of arrogance but you need to be able to back it up when it matters and Harrison completely failed to do that.

Setting himself up as his own promoter as soon as he turned professional was a huge mistake as well. Not for him, obviously, as he landed the huge contract with the BBC, but from a professional perspective. He clearly needed someone to guide him and find him the right sort of opponent to develop him properly but that didn't happen.
    I think being heavyweight European Champion is more than next to nothing...?
    as for the rest 100% agree.. he ballsed up, early in his career tried to do too much and that was his down fall.. if he had got himself a promoter her could trust and a management team around him things might have been different... he had all the tools, unfortunatly by the time he was ready to go down that route his punch resistance had disapeared!
    l totally understand why people dislike him i get that, but i dont get how they disrespect his achievements... by all means state his downfalls and loses but dont forget his achievements!
    lts all i ask.. remember the bloke won gold for our country in 2000 Sydney and cos of him, we got all the funding needed for Amir Khan, Degale..etc.. and alot of the pro's who are on the scene now.. likes of david haye etc! they all benifitted from what Audley did..
    buyt hey i know im in the minority.. but i dont care, see i prefer olympions to pro sportsmen/women.... so im bound to look at it in a different light i suppose?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think being heavyweight European Champion is more than next to nothing...?

Looking at the finer points of that EBU match, it's not far off. He was behind on every card going in to the last round and only won the match after catching Sprott. And he subsequently vacated the belt before even a single defence so he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.
    i dont get how they disrespect his achievements... by all means state his downfalls and loses but dont forget his achievements!

Olympic gold can't be sniffed at, i'll give you that. But for me, that's the sum total of his "achievements". He had to ride on the back of that medal for over a decade because he just wasn't good enough to do anything else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the finer points of that EBU match, it's not far off. He was behind on every card going in to the last round and only won the match after catching Sprott. And he subsequently vacated the belt before even a single defence so he didn't exactly cover himself in glory.

Olympic gold can't be sniffed at, i'll give you that. But for me, that's the sum total of his "achievements". He had to ride on the back of that medal for over a decade because he just wasn't good enough to do anything else.
    he faught the almost entire fight against sprott with a damaged Pec which required surgery and he was told to retire! and he still WON! vacated it cos of injury and the obvious chance of a WTS

and like i said Olympic Gold!!
    you say not to be sniffed at and the sum total of his achievements.. like i said European champion almost 30 wins in the pro game.. and OLYMPIC GOLD with no funding...
    is more than majority of athletes will even come close to winning!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like i said European champion almost 30 wins in the pro game.. and OLYMPIC GOLD with no funding...

European champion for one fight. His win ratio is nothing - plenty of boxers have as many wins as he does - or did.

But we're going round in circles. I'm happy to agree to disagree here. You think he's great, I think he's crap ;)
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Audley deserves stick for some of the things that happened over his career, he doesn't deserve it for Saturday night though. He got knocked clean out by a freakishly powerful puncher. Hearing the crowd booing and jeering someone who could've been in a seriously bad condition was quite uncomfortable.
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    I actually feel a bit sorry for the guy now. I seriously think somebody should save him from himself and remove his license.

His career as a pro has been as near on a disaster as it could be but hey, an Olympic gold is more than most will ever achieve in boxing, he'll always have that and he must have a fair bit of money so just retire.

Hopefully nobody else will give him a shot, he doesn't deserve one and the I would suggest that the boxers and promoters who keep lining him up as an opponent are more embarrassing than Audley himself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just as i suspected, he fights on ..

Harrison refuses to quit

I said at the time he wouldn't want to go out on a humiliating defeat. You'd assume that he'd basically pay someone to get in the ring and get beaten up for a few rounds just so he could retire on a win, but then as I also said a few posts back, I could even see him taking that win as a sign his career isn't dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's no surprise to me that Harrison is fighting on.

If he never retired after his previous embarrassing defeats, why would he retire after this latest one?

I see he is talking about a rematch with part-time minicab driver, Martin Rogan, a man he embarrassingly lost to a few years ago.

Harrison claims that he is good at avenging defeats.:eek:

He might just be able to beat Rogan now, as Rogan is now a full-time minicab driver.

He's also mentioned Chisora, but I can't see Audley beating Chisora, although you never know with him.

I've said it before; Harrison will talk his way into a big fight inside the next 18 months. The heavyweight division is moribund right now & the only meaningful fights that are viable do not happen easily, so this means the likes of Harrison can keep talking his way into big contests.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've said it before; Harrison will talk his way into a big fight inside the next 18 months. The heavyweight division is moribund right now & the only meaningful fights that are viable do not happen easily, so this means the likes of Harrison can keep talking his way into big contests.

I'm not so sure. Sure, he can certainly talk a good game but his reputation is in tatters so I honestly can't see how any promoter worth their salt would even consider him a viable opponent. There isn't even novelty value in anyone beating him any more.

The Chisora fight might come off if they can stage a similar angle to the one Chisora was involved with with Haye to turn it into a 'grudge match', but even then, Harrison's credibility is so poor, they'd struggle to build any interest in the match.

I didn't know he was talking about fighting Rogan again, but that certainly seems the most logical as it stands. If he beats him, and beats him convincingly, he can retire claiming he's "avenged" his most embarrassing defeat. I can even see the fight being promoted "unfinished business" ..