Options

LBC dropped Glasgow today

with the inane Nick Ferrari message saying it will be dropped and promoting their 'mobile app which is even better' (TuneIn is better).

Bah!

Comments

• Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    With the best will in the world, it doesn't sound as if you liked it much anyway...
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt the audience there was massive, somehow.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How typical. When will our media wake up and realise that Scotland is also part of London?
  • Options
    hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably tied in with rationalisation of brands when the MXR DAB muxes?
    But won't be long before Scotland gets Global's top brand Heart.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tee Hee. I think global need to decide if LBC is a national talk station, or a local London station. They seem to be trying to do a bit of both, and I'm not sure it is a good idea.
  • Options
    davemcwishdavemcwish Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    With the best will in the world, it doesn't sound as if you liked it much anyway...

I do to some extent but not all of the presenters ( incl. Nick Ferrari) appeal. Still better than Radio S***e Live (from Salford).

I actually live in a London borough but travel here regularly.

@hanssolo - The misses will be pleased as Heart is all she listens to.

@BMR - I agree they seem to pick a National story and say "<national news story is this> but what does it mean for London. Give me a call on...email.....twit tweet.....". Often though they just seem to be disparate for someone/anyone to ring in to fill some air tim.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Any one know if Global are planning to drop LBC in Cardiff ?

In considering getting a clockradio and wont bother with dab if LBC is going in this area.

LBC is not a perfect station, but it's a welcome commercial talk alternative to the BBC. I'm not in the least bit interested in sport so TalkSport is not for me.
  • Options
    MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LBC is to go in all DAB areas (except London).

So, yes, it'll be gone from Cardiff too.
  • Options
    SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BMR wrote: »
    Tee Hee. I think global need to decide if LBC is a national talk station, or a local London station. They seem to be trying to do a bit of both, and I'm not sure it is a good idea.

They have already decided that it's a London station. It's definitely not going national, although they are not going to turn away people outside the capital who are listening to their shows (and adverts).

From next year LBC will be partnering with the new London Live TV station to share content, and next month they are hosting a Boris Johnson Q and A session which is of little interest to people living outside London.
  • Options
    girloutofwishawgirloutofwishaw Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I lived in London for 25 years and only recently moved back home to Lanarkshire. I'm sorry to lose my LBC fix.
  • Options
    TragicDoggieTragicDoggie Posts: 590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I lived in London for 25 years and only recently moved back home to Lanarkshire. I'm sorry to lose my LBC fix.

Internet = LBC

Satellite = LBC

Cable TV should have LBC. It does in my area.
  • Options
    The_SleeperThe_Sleeper Posts: 201,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Internet = LBC
    Satellite = LBC
    Cable TV
    should have LBC. It does in my area.

The top one it'll be for my through the night fix, dont have the other two in the bedroom!
  • Options
    HappyTreeHappyTree Posts: 4,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The LBC mobile app cuts out quite frequently. It's the least reliable radio streaming app I've ever used. But disabling the photo advertising does help to make it a touch more stable, in that it then cuts out only about twice per evening's listening on average.

The other radio apps I have used have never just cut out at all, actually, even using the LBC stream. It takes a special kind of talent to make something so poor :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The top one it'll be for my through the night fix, dont have the other two in the bedroom!

Video sender or a Sky Gnome will give you what you want. Shame the latter are now 2nd hand only.
  • Options
    peopleschmeoplepeopleschmeople Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm in Glasgow and have listened exclusively to LBC via a DAB radio for the past 3 years or so. It cut off yesterday morning in the middle of Nick Ferrari's show but was back by teatime last night. I fell asleep while listening to it last night and at around 3 am awoke to find that it had gone again and was replaced by the Nick Ferrari message about the app. It was still off when I left for work this morning but is back again tonight.

Any ideas what is going on here? There is absolutely no alternative as far as I'm concerned. I tried 5 Live this morning but even 10 minutes discussing sport is 10 minutes too much for me.
  • Options
    superbike999superbike999 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    According to their current web site page:-

http://www.lbc.co.uk/'how-to-listen-to-lbc-fm-digital-radio-tv-online-mobile-13434

it's even available in Glasgow & Edinburgh

"On Digital Radio

Listen to LBC in crystal clear clarity on your Digital Radio from any of the places in pink in the map on the right, plus you can now listen in Glasgow and Edinburgh."
  • Options
    davemcwishdavemcwish Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I'm in Glasgow and... <shipped> It was still off when I left for work this morning but is back again tonight.

Any ideas what is going on here? There is absolutely no alternative as far as I'm concerned. I tried 5 Live this morning but even 10 minutes discussing sport is 10 minutes too much for me.

Not working in my part of Glasgow...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SouthCity wrote: »
    They have already decided that it's a London station. It's definitely not going national, although they are not going to turn away people outside the capital who are listening to their shows (and adverts).

From next year LBC will be partnering with the new London Live TV station to share content, and next month they are hosting a Boris Johnson Q and A session which is of little interest to people living outside London.
    Some may say a Boris Johnson Q and A session is also of little interest to many people living in London.
    Notice on Wohnort
    May 29th
    On Glasgow, LBC is broadcasting a barker announcing the imminent cessation of the service
    Maybe the potential ad revenue outside of London to so few listeners was not enough to meet the local DAB transmission costs, and like Talk 107 FM Edinburgh, talk radio outside London is not viable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Internet = LBC

Satellite = LBC

Cable TV should have LBC. It does in my area.
    It's not on the Freesat EPG and needs to be manually set.
    If the Glasgow DAB barker only mentions the internet app, would not be surprised when Global review the Sky EPG after changes with the GMG takeover LBC might be dropped?
  • Options
    GORTONIANGORTONIAN Posts: 8,673
    Forum Member
    hanssolo wrote: »
    If the Glasgow DAB barker only mentions the internet app, would not be surprised when Global review the Sky EPG after changes with the GMG takeover LBC might be dropped?

If you have freesat and dont want to manual set up go into start menu and type in a London postcode ..that will send you to all London tv and radio stations ....when you finish listening put your own postcode back in ...you will pick up LBC 1152 and BBC Radio London that way as well:eek:
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/lbc-on-dab-in-glasgow-72745
    Thursday 30th May 2013

Due to a reorganisation of DAB capacity in Glasgow, LBC is no longer available on the regional DAB multiplex.

However, you can still enjoy LBC online at lbc.co.uk, on Sky Digital and Virgin Media, as well as on the iPhone and iPad through our new apps and our other mobile apps.

In September 2012 the radio industry (commercial and BBC) announced that the best way forward for digital roll out and to speed up coverage was to focus on local and national multiplexes. Demand for carriage on regional multiplexes is therefore reducing and as part of its commitment to local and national DAB services, Global Radio is not renewing the licence for services on the Central Scotland regional multiplex.
    I have no idea what they're on about.
  • Options
    InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    http://www.lbc.co.uk/lbc-on-dab-in-glasgow-72745

I have no idea what they're on about.

They seem to be saying two things: they're removing LBC from the Glasgow multiplex now, and they'll be removing their services from the Central Scotland multiplex in the future. The implication is that the two things are connected, but unless they say how, it's rather an unhelpful statement.
  • Options
    vinnielovinnielo Posts: 8,359
    Forum Member
    But they also say "LBC is no longer available on the regional DAB multiplex."
    Except LBC was on Glasgow, a local multiplex. So where's this "commitment to local and national DAB services"?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vinnielo wrote: »
    But they also say "LBC is no longer available on the regional DAB multiplex."
    Except LBC was on Glasgow, a local multiplex. So where's this "commitment to local and national DAB services"?
    unless it is linked to this
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/09/regional-mxr-digital-multiplexes-to-close/
    A spokesperson for Global Radio told RadioToday.co.uk: “The industry (commercial and BBC) has agreed that the best way forward for digital roll out and to speed up coverage, the focus should be on local and national multiplexes. Therefore there is reducing demand for carriage on regional multiplexes.”

Global Radio say their investment in the DAB platform continues with local and national services. They have just invested a total of £15m committing to providing their stations on more localised multiplexes owned by Bauer Media, for the next 12 years.
    So they might be moving Capital, Choice ,XFM and Heart etc from the UTV owned regional mux to the Bauer local muxes, maybe with a cost saving, but have to drop LBC to fit the stations in?
    As the UTV Switch mux will be virtually empty, except for BBC RNanGaidheal, Real and Kerrang, if they also move or close, UTV can potentially save money by closing the regional mux as they have no stations of their own on it.

Although UTV Switch are still advertising space on the mux? (perhaps there has been no new interested stations?)
    http://www.utvdab.co.uk/opportunities.asp?id=100096
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Inkblot wrote: »
    They seem to be saying two things: they're removing LBC from the Glasgow multiplex now, and they'll be removing their services from the Central Scotland multiplex in the future. The implication is that the two things are connected, but unless they say how, it's rather an unhelpful statement.

unless it is linked to this
    http://radiotoday.co.uk/2012/09/regional-mxr-digital-multiplexes-to-close/

So they might be moving Capital, Choice ,XFM and Heart etc from the UTV owned regional mux to the Bauer local muxes, maybe with a cost saving, but have to drop LBC to fit the stations in?
    As the UTV Switch mux will be virtually empty, except for BBC RNanGaidheal, Real and Kerrang, if they also move or close, UTV can potentially save money by closing the regional mux as they have no stations of their own on it.

Although UTV Switch are still advertising space on the mux? (perhaps there has been no new interested stations?)
    http://www.utvdab.co.uk/opportunities.asp?id=100096

LBC's initial statement didn't make much sense although the quotes provided by hannsolo above make it a bit clearer. I guess that they've got also some market research that says that they're not that popular in Scotland anyway.

...which is usually done something like Menu > Add non-Freesat channels and plugging in the variables for frequency, symbol rate and polarisation which are 11222, 27500 and H which will get both LBC and LBC News. It might be worth their while joining Freesat as it's relatively cheap unlike terrestrial broadcasting modes, i.e. Freeview and DAB.