Golf: Ryder Cup 2014 Official Thread!!

Comments

• croftercrofter Posts: 2,976
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed that Rory is on one of his famous "crazy" runs today - after a stunning 63 in the 1st round of the Memorial Tournament and a 3 shot lead he is currently 7 over for his first 9 holes and that is with a birdie and a holed bunker shot for par.:o

At this rate he will be struggling to make the cut ... it certainly isn't dull but he really needs to cut out these amateur rounds he has been throwing into just about every tournament.
  • detroitcitydetroitcity Posts: 4,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crofter wrote: »
    Noticed that Rory is on one of his famous "crazy" runs today - after a stunning 63 in the 1st round of the Memorial Tournament and a 3 shot lead he is currently 7 over for his first 9 holes and that is with a birdie and a holed bunker shot for par.:o

At this rate he will be struggling to make the cut ... it certainly isn't dull but he really needs to cut out these amateur rounds he has been throwing into just about every tournament.

I read last night that he had hurt his leg. Don't know when or what happened but it could be playing a part. At least he's not walked off yet.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read last night that he had hurt his leg. Don't know when or what happened but it could be playing a part. At least he's not walked off yet.

Yes it happened on the 7th hole and he simply tweaked his knee - the fact that he was 7 under from that point onwards including a double bogey would point to it not being a factor.

Of course today it may have stiffened up and it could well be it is having an effect.
  • davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The FBI is investigating possible insider trading involving billionaire investor Carl Icahn, golfer Phil Mickelson and Las Vegas gambler William Walters, reports say.

The inquiry is reportedly examining whether Mr Mickelson and Mr Walters may have traded shares illegally, based on information provided by Mr Icahn.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-27647437

Could be in big trouble if proved
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought I would just bump this as we have had two European major winners since the thread was started - so the European team is in far better health than it was a few months ago.

Not the case for the USA though - big question marks over the participation of Mickelson and Woods. Mickelson will probably get a captain's pick but for Woods it is looking pretty bleak - he will need to make the Fedex playoffs to have any chance of getting a pick ...

At the moment he is 214th in the standings and only has 2 events to make the top 125 places and qualify for the fist event - if he doesn't make it he is goosed for the year and will be watching the Ryder cup from a comfortable distance.

The question is will this actually strengthen the USA team as his record is pretty poor and he has never looked like a team player??
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Obviously can't see woods being there now.

European team at the moment even after todays results is three picks from four from

Westwood/poulter/McDowell/molinari at the moment

Molinari shouldn't miss out but he would in the above scenario
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be picking Molinari over Westwood.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Obviously can't see woods being there now.

European team at the moment even after todays results is three picks from four from

Westwood/poulter/McDowell/molinari at the moment

Molinari shouldn't miss out but he would in the above scenario

As it stands the team would be:
    Rory MCILROY
    Victor DUBUISSON
    Sergio GARCIA
    Henrik STENSON
    Justin ROSE
    Martin KAYMER
    Thomas BJORN
    Graeme MCDOWELL
    Jamie DONALDSON

leaving the likes of Poulter, Westwood, Molinari, Donald and Gallacher fighting it out for those 3 places.

I can't help thinking that McGinley is going to throw some sort of curveball with at least one of his picks though ... but as this thread has shown a lot can happen over the next few weeks.
  • popmusicmanpopmusicman Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it stands the team would be:
    Rory MCILROY
    Victor DUBUISSON
    Sergio GARCIA
    Henrik STENSON
    Justin ROSE
    Martin KAYMER
    Thomas BJORN
    Graeme MCDOWELL
    Jamie DONALDSON

leaving the likes of Poulter, Westwood, Molinari, Donald and Gallacher fighting it out for those 3 places.

I can't help thinking that McGinley is going to throw some sort of curveball with at least one of his picks though ... but as this thread has shown a lot can happen over the next few weeks.

If the list stays the same I can't see past Donald, Westwood and Poulter for three captain picks. All three have been key to Europe winning the Ryder Cup and while not at the best cannot be ignored.

There is nobody who is outside of the automatic places who has shown to McGinley they deserve a place ahead of these three class players in terms of current form with Gallacher missing the cut at the PGA and Molinari was behind of three of the English players so the last chance to impress at big tournament has gone. These two guys had to do something really impressive when it matters to give McGinley a reason to pick them and they failed.

There are I think two weeks for the world list and very close for the last place so a chance that McDowell could drop out and if it was say Gallacher who replaced him then McGinley would have big decision to leave out one of the three Englishman (Westwood I would be my pick)
  • David TeeDavid Tee Posts: 22,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see Poulter or Donald making the list. Neither is anywhere near the kind of form for McGinley to feel confident.
  • HaydenHayden Posts: 32,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trust me, there is no way Poulter will be left out if he is fit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hayden wrote: »
    Trust me, there is no way Poulter will be left out if he is fit.

You could be right - but let's see.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poulter will be the 1st captains pick. Absolutely no doubt imo.

I don't think Donald will miss out either. He's got a great Ryder Cup record and I'd expect McGinely to go with him before the likes of Molinari or someone who's not played in it before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poulter will be the 1st captains pick. Absolutely no doubt imo.

I don't think Donald will miss out either. He's got a great Ryder Cup record and I'd expect McGinely to go with him before the likes of Molinari or someone who's not played in it before.

In the last two months Ian Poulter has played in 6 tournaments and only managed two rounds below par. He's now just missed the cut at The Barclays. McGinley will be very, very concerned.

I'm a fan, I follow his progress every tournament he plays. If McGinley picks him (and he may well do so), it'll be because of his previous exploits in the cup because as of now the form isn't there to justify it. I think there is another possibility; Poulter might rule himself out if he feels he's not playing well enough - why mess up a legendary Ryder Cup career?

One little sideshow: Poulter has an autobiography coming out in October, just four weeks after the Ryder Cup. The timing would not have been coincidental.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There a rather cryptic tweet from Poulter this morning (presumably written in the dead of night back in the US).
    Some thing's happen for a reason. Some things are meant to be.
    Some thing's simply inspire.
    Some thing's simply motivate.
    Boy am I.......

Classic Poulter grammar aside, who knows what it means? A couple of wags reckon the missing word at the end is "hammered". Personally I think it's more likely to be "relieved".

McGinley announces his wildcard picks next Tuesday.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Poulter will be absolutely picked there is no question

He finds form from a different planet when it gets to the rc.

There were rumours the last time that olazabal lost the plot and poulter took over the team talks as well

I have a funny feeling he will have a good tournament this week as well
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bit more clear cut now. If Gallacher finishes top 2 this week then he's in ahead of G-Mac.

McDowell will be in regardless but if he requires a pick then it will likely be Donald or Westwood who lose out to him. Donald's RC record is fantastic and he's won 6 out of 6 in foursomes, that may be enough to get him in front of Westwood.

No matter how Poulter is playing he will scare the shit out of the yanks on British soil, he's a pick for as long as he ever wants one imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Great start for molinari if he wins I think he will be in to complicate things further
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stephen Gallagher doing what he needs to do to make the team

Looks like picks between Poulter, Donald, Westwood, MacDowell.

Probably Donald to miss out then
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Stephen Gallagher doing what he needs to do to make the team

Looks like picks between Poulter, Donald, Westwood, MacDowell.

Probably Donald to miss out then

Shot 65 again today and finished 3rd. Agonisingly came up 1 stroke short of an automatic pick.

He's more than merited a wildcard. He also won in Dubai this year when he was paired with Tiger and Rory for the first 2 rounds and outscored them although I don't think any points or money are awarded as it's an invitational.

I would take Donald rather than Westwood but I think it'll be the other way round. I just hope McGinley doesn't take the easy option and select the 3 big names.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty is 9 clear at the moment in the Travis Perkins Masters. Will be his 5th win of the season.

Could just see thousands of yanks arses collapsing if he got the final pick. :D

I'm not being serious before anyone questions my sanity. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well what an effort from Stephen Gallacher - over the last 3 days he has played out of his skin and shot 17 under par the last 3 rounds when the pressure must have been well and truly on.

It would take a brave man to pick the out of form Donald, Westwood and Poulter over Gallacher and I can see it being Donald who is the odd man out. He has been flat all year and Westwood will at least get you some birdies ... neither could really complain if they don't make the team though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty is 9 clear at the moment in the Travis Perkins Masters. Will be his 5th win of the season.

Could just see thousands of yanks arses collapsing if he got the final pick. :D

I'm not being serious before anyone questions my sanity. :)

Some nutters have been begging for Langer to be included so Monty would have to play 2nd fiddle to him.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well what an effort from Stephen Gallacher - over the last 3 days he has played out of his skin and shot 17 under par the last 3 rounds when the pressure must have been well and truly on.

It would take a brave man to pick the out of form Donald, Westwood and Poulter over Gallacher and I can see it being Donald who is the odd man out. He has been flat all year and Westwood will at least get you some birdies ... neither could really complain if they don't make the team though.

It should be as you say but still think Donald, Westwood, poulter Mcginlay will play the experience needed line
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monty is 9 clear at the moment in the Travis Perkins Masters. Will be his 5th win of the season...
    He has had a decent season but it really pales into comparison with Bernhard Langer form this year, that being similar but even better than the 6 years before 2014.
    The guys round consistency is quite amazing and why he keeps putting in decent performances at majors too.

In 4 balls Langers consistency would make him a perfect pard. Other choices are far too inconsistent.
    I could not pick Donald, Poulter maybe ,have my doubts about Westwood and am unfamiliar with MacDowell. 2014 form.

Lets hope common sense prevails and Langer plays, though I am a bit surprised that he has such big enemies. The team really does need his maturity and consistency.