Films you liked back then,but find embarrassing to watch now

13»

Comments

• Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    The Breakfast Club :o

Then: Yeah, yeah - the 'kids' stick it to the man.

Now: The 'kids' are beyond parody.

Ha ha! Good one. That film is so pretentious. I can't believe I thought it was cool the first time around.:o
  • Pob-BundyPob-Bundy Posts: 1,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care Bears 2: The Second Generation :o
    That Darkheart was a right evil bastard though...
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, The Breakfast Club. That film where they turned a spikily, attractive punk teenager into a laughable, saccharine stereotype of a typical American 'mommy's girl'.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    John Boorman's Excalibur - I had fond memories of it but saw it again recently and thought it was overlong, fragmented and cringeworthy in places.
  • rumpleteazerrumpleteazer Posts: 5,746
    Forum Member
    The Craft. As a teen I thought it was amazing but I watched it recently and it was awful.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    The Goonies. It hasn't aged well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Old.Tallen wrote: »
    Hawk The Slayer
    Time Bandits

Take that back. Take that back right now :D

I loved Hawk the Slayer when I was a kid. It almost sparked a riot while I was playing Dungeons and Dragons (:o) over what kind of bow the elf was using. Geeks were real geeks back then.

I saw Time Bandits a couple of weeks ago and I still love it, but I'm a bit of a Terry Gilliam fanboy.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Time Bandits has held up extremely well. It's one of Terry Gilliams's best films.

I punched a bloke in the face once for saying "Hawk the Slayer" was rubbish.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Good for you. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Time Bandits has held up extremely well. It's one of Terry Gilliams's best films.

Did you walk off into an eerie mist afterwards?
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    re. The Breakfast Club. Even though all of my teenage years were in the '80s, I didn't get to see this film until last year. I was SHOCKED at how cringeworthy the whole enterprise is. It's just awful rubbish.
  • GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kodos wrote: »
    Did you walk off into an eerie mist afterwards?

No.

I was defending the fantasy genre with terminal intensity, when what I should've said was "Dad, you're right. But let's give Krull a try, and we'll discuss it later."
  • Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, Krull! I like that. Got it on DVD, and have been mocked by friends for admitting to it. Great film. Saw it at the cinema!
  • SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    dee123 wrote: »
    The Goonies. It hasn't aged well.

Nonsense.

Define "not aged well"

Because the kids don't have ipads? The sense of fun, adventure and humour is as strong as ever - it is a great film for any time.
  • timebugtimebug Posts: 18,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember laughing until I cried at the cinema,when I saw Peter Sellers in 'The Magic Christian'.
    It was not shown on TV for ages and ages and when it was,I advised everyone I knew to watch it.
    And it stunk! Ah well,time is not kind to everything.......
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,197
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    Nonsense.

Define "not aged well"

Because the kids don't have ipads? The sense of fun, adventure and humour is as strong as ever - it is a great film for any time.

It's mainly the fact that the Data character is such a stereotype and is treated as such is kind of cringe worthy nowadays.