Why do some songs get number 1 that don't deserve it?

2»

Comments

• Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wrecking Ball is an amazing song and one of the more deserving #1's of the year.

Just because it's Miley Cyrus and has a shock-factor video. That doesn't stop it being great.

Insipid covers like Lily Allen's SOWK are the worst of the bunch tbh.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 426
    Forum Member
    Wrecking Ball is an amazing song and one of the more deserving #1's of the year.

Just because it's Miley Cyrus and has a shock-factor video. That doesn't stop it being great.

Insipid covers like Lily Allen's SOWK are the worst of the bunch tbh.

Personally I think it's one of the more deserving number 1s; great song and iconic video, like it or not
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair, I think the worst number ones are the ones that jump in at the top spot really suddenly and unexpectedly, and then disappear just as quickly.

I mean, 'Wrecking Ball' had weeks of hype and controversy to promote it, but is anybody really gonna remember 'Animals' by Martin Garrix this time next year?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    _Mills wrote: »
    Tbh, I've never heard of Lily Allen's dad. I only found out about the same way as anyone else; she had a hit song and got famous.

I also think this 'Somewhere Only We Know' cover didn't deserve to do well. Keane's original version was far better, and they write the song and play instruments and all, so their version deserves to do better than Lily's.

Well one good thing is, then, from what I understand of 'royalties', that most of the money from the cover version will presumably go to Keane! :)
  • elle77elle77 Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I'd say it is down to personal taste. I can never understand how so many people like some songs which have reached the top spot but then again, it would be a very boring world if everyone like the same things
  • SexSex Posts: 44,161
    Forum Member
    how did animals get to number 1 :confused: ... such twaddle
  • CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a great philosopher once said, "Life is sad, and so is love.."
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wtf is 'Trap'? never heard of that before, I thought someone had misspelt crap at first
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would ANY song not deserve to go to number 1? It sold the most copies that week, therefore it deserves the top spot.

The only exception I could think of is if some millionaire went out and bought every copy of a single, then it doesn't 'deserve' it I suppose.
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    wtf is 'Trap'? never heard of that before, I thought someone had misspelt crap at first

I though someone had just pressed the t instead of the c to be honest..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why people place so much importance on whether a song they like hits #1 or not, a lot of songs that are considered classics and amongst the best ever recorded never hit #1 on the chart or even made the top 10 and top 20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodger0703 wrote: »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_%28music_genre%29
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    embryo wrote: »

I got as far as the word 'crunk' and was totally lost