Options

Do you lift weights?

Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just thought I would throw this one out there...

Do you lift weights? If so what kind of exercises do you like to do and what are some of your personal bests in the gym? Do you lift for strength, size, vanity, burning fat, for a sport, or maybe another reason?

Or maybe you think it's totally pointless and a waste of time?! Anyhow I would like to hear your views :)

Comments

• Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you even lift bro?
  • Options
    Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    I lift myself out of bed each morning; I think that qualifies? :p

I used to go to the gym before I started to find it mundane and repetitive, whilst there I was more focusing on posture performance (recommended) along with the more common practices such as Bench Press, Chest/Shoulder Press and Leg Work.

Never quite got the technique right for Deadlifting, plus I had a dodgy back, so it wasn't reccomended.
  • Options
    AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do lift weights ... but quite light ones with lots of reps. I don't want to build up too much muscle.

Apparently it's much better for you than aerobic exercise, which releases stress hormones and has an aging effect on the body over time. High intensity + weight training is the best exercise regime.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    Do you even lift bro?

It's not bro, it's brah! :p
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No, not really.

Have given it a go on different occasions but never managed to stick with it for more than a few months at at time. Last time I tried much was 4 years ago as part of weight loss plan. I started out at about 24st and dropped to 17st in 9 or 10 months, something like that although I wasn't lifting the whole time I was losing weight.

I was weak in the upper body, not so bad lower down but nothing to write home about. Got up to about 60kg for 10 reps on bench press, and would squat 130 for the same after about 5 months of training, just doing a simple full body rouitne 3 times a week.

I read quite a lot on it all, I think I know/knew a lot more about it in theory than in practice.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Do you lift weights?

Yep, sure do!!

If so what kind of exercises do you like to do....

Usually do one total body work out per week, and then splits on 4 other days e.g Back/legs, Shoulders/chest etc...Favourite exercises to do include cable flys, decline chest press, shoulder flys, skull crusher, squats and the ab pulldown.

What are some of your personal bests in the gym?

Pretty standard so far, but improving -
    Dumbbell chest press - 76kg (two x 38kg dumbells)
    Squats - 80kg
    Decline chest press - 120kg

Do you lift for strength, size, vanity, burning fat, for a sport, or maybe another reason?

Began with fat burning, and then quickly changed to fat burning and building lean muscle at the same time, which has been a challenge, but one that is nearly complete. Nearly at the body fat percentage I want to be at, and after that my goals will change to increasing strength and size.
  • Options
    chris1978chris1978 Posts: 1,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I go to gym just so I don't balloon in weight as I have a very sedentary job. I prefer to do cardio stuff but do the weight machines as well and occasional free weights. Depends what mood I'm in and how busy it is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sodavlac wrote: »
    No, not really.

Have given it a go on different occasions but never managed to stick with it for more than a few months at at time. Last time I tried much was 4 years ago as part of weight loss plan. I started out at about 24st and dropped to 17st in 9 or 10 months, something like that.

I was weak in the upper body, not so bad lower down but nothing to write home about. Got up to about 60kg for 10 reps on bench press, and would squat 130 for the same after about 5 months of training, just doing a simple full body rouitne 3 times a week.

I read quite a lot on it all, I think I know/knew a lot more about it in theory than in practice.

That's an excellent achievement on the weight loss and it sounds like you are naturally a very strong person. Those are good lifts for such a short time training :)
  • Options
    Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes I do, and in fact did so earlier this week and I can still feel the aching from it all! :)
  • Options
    DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I work out with dumb bells at home, just exercises I've found on you tube . I only have 6kgs on each side, so I don't know if it really counts as weight lifting, but I think it has improved my body. I can really notice it on my arms - no bingo wings!
    I might get into it a bit more at the gym (I said that last year though, Lol)
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Currently,

Sat: Legs (deadlifts and squats) & Abs
    Sun: Biceps & Triceps
    Mon: Shoulders, HIIT cardio & Abs
    Tue: Rest
    Wed: Chest and some triceps, HIIT cardio & Abs
    Thu: Back and some biceps
    Fri: Shoulders, HIIT cardio & Abs

Initially I was concerned that chest followed by back followed by shoulders would be too much, but it seems to work well for me, I'm getting good results.

I train because exercise is just a way of life for me, I've been exercising since I was a child and haven't stopped. I don't think of it as an extra activity. Love the way it makes me feel, and look.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I can't lift anything much, arthritic shoulder pain. I'd love to sort out my bingo wings,
  • Options
    sodavlacsodavlac Posts: 10,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's an excellent achievement on the weight loss and it sounds like you are naturally a very strong person. Those are good lifts for such a short time training :)

I do think I've always had naturally strong legs. Been overweight most of my life and at school I was average speed when running about despite often weighing about 3st more than most of the kids. I was never the fastest but I wasn't the slowest either. Playing football I'd usually have one the hardest shots etc. and my thighs have always been big to look at (well they will be at this weight anyway, but you know what I mean).

Btw, I haven't been able to keep the weight off and am pretty much back where I started. :blush: Started cutting back on the food again recently so I'll see how it goes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    Currently,

Initially I was concerned that chest followed by back followed by shoulders would be too much, but it seems to work well for me, I'm getting good results.

I train because exercise is just a way of life for me, I've been exercising since I was a child and haven't stopped. I don't think of it as an extra activity. Love the way it makes me feel, and look.
    I bet you must be laughing when the latest obesity statistics are announced! :D
  • Options
    HarrisonMarksHarrisonMarks Posts: 4,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I frequently lift beer bottles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,692
    Forum Member
    Currently,

This is the kind of routine I want to eventually get to. At the moment I'm building up slowly on the machines and only really started adding some free weights to my routine recently. Just out of interest, how long do you attend the gym per session?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I frequently lift beer bottles.

Are you SpongeBob Squarepants by any chanice? ;) If so, say hi to Sandy for me, won't you?
  • Options
    The MartianThe Martian Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've waited on a lift before.

I keep fit on a mountain bike.
  • Options
    highking1014highking1014 Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i do surely however I am very weak even though I am in decent enough shape, I lift for the look rather than strength.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    I don't,OH does and it drives me mental.Theyre all over the back yard and he even brings them inside at winter,i draw the line at the weight bench in my front room:o.I d say he lifts for all the above that you stated O.P strength,size,vanity etc.I must say I hate the over muscly look and wouldn't want OH turning into the hulk.He has been quite large before,did it the "cheating" way but I hated it and it soon stopped.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeoBa92 wrote: »
    This is the kind of routine I want to eventually get to. At the moment I'm building up slowly on the machines and only really started adding some free weights to my routine recently. Just out of interest, how long do you attend the gym per session?

A full session consisting of weights, cardio abs and usually lasts about an hour, maybe a bit more. I superset, so do weights for about 30 minutes (40 max). My HIIT cardio session is 12 minutes. I finish off with abs, I take my time with abs, purely because after the HIIT I'm sweating like crazy. If I jumped into the shower straight after HIIT I'd still be sweating after the shower! Doing abs at the end and taking my time allows me to cool down a bit.
  • Options
    Lil_MLil_M Posts: 2,105
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thought I would throw this one out there...

Do you lift weights? If so what kind of exercises do you like to do and what are some of your personal bests in the gym? Do you lift for strength, size, vanity, burning fat, for a sport, or maybe another reason?

Or maybe you think it's totally pointless and a waste of time?! Anyhow I would like to hear your views :)

Always do a half an hour to an hour cardio workout then do 1 1/2 to 2 hours on weights either early morning or after work.

It feels good and plus the gym I go to is a sanctuary, a haven for me, especially this get away from racism.
  • Options
    EbonyHamsterEbonyHamster Posts: 8,175
    Forum Member
    Used to, can't anymore :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Currently,

Sounds pretty intense :)

Do you train for any sports, or is it simply for the love of it? What keeps you motivated? Do you have specific goals when you train?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Do you lift weights?

Yep, sure do!!

If so what kind of exercises do you like to do....

Usually do one total body work out per week, and then splits on 4 other days e.g Back/legs, Shoulders/chest etc...Favourite exercises to do include cable flys, decline chest press, shoulder flys, skull crusher, squats and the ab pulldown.

What are some of your personal bests in the gym?

Pretty standard so far, but improving -
    Dumbbell chest press - 76kg (two x 38kg dumbells)
    Squats - 80kg
    Decline chest press - 120kg

Do you lift for strength, size, vanity, burning fat, for a sport, or maybe another reason?

Began with fat burning, and then quickly changed to fat burning and building lean muscle at the same time, which has been a challenge, but one that is nearly complete. Nearly at the body fat percentage I want to be at, and after that my goals will change to increasing strength and size.

I knew you'd post :p

How long have you been training?

That's a good chest press you have there. What's your current weight and bodyfat and what is your ideal? Is strength or are aesthetics more important?