Really don't get the Cheryl hate...

Comments

• WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    it was arrogant because no one knew who she was and she couldn't justify why she was there. It would be like a non league footballer flying to Madrid and saying " yea I'm good enough to play for you"

How is that arrogant on her part? Simon hired her because he thought she would be good and it seems to me that Cheryl accepted to help launch her US career, not because she thought she was already famous there. I think you're reaching.
  • NathanScottNathanScott Posts: 743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't hate her at all.

I think most people just don't like that this show is pretty much a PR exercise for her.
    No other judge gets such a careful and precise treatment as she does. This is all meant to paint her a certain way.
  • KieranDSKieranDS Posts: 16,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Biko wrote: »
    it was arrogant because no one knew who she was and she couldn't justify why she was there. It would be like a non league footballer flying to Madrid and saying " yea I'm good enough to play for you"

At the time of the first episode airing, a lot of the American press were wondering why she was axed and replaced by Nicole. I remember the New York Times even called Nicole a downgrade :blush:. They certainly took to her more than Scherzinger, even though she had a lot of success there through the PCD.

Despite not a lot of people not knowing who she was, a lot of people were interested in her. I don't see how that is arrogant.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

2. She was drunk and had an argument in a nightclub. HAS NO ONE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS? Seriously?...

I think most people have not been convicted of ABH
  • d56d56 Posts: 5,471
    Forum Member
    I don't hate her at all.

I think most people just don't like that this show is pretty much a PR exercise for her.
    No other judge gets such a careful and precise treatment as she does. This is all meant to paint her a certain way.

This.
  • ChipDouglas82ChipDouglas82 Posts: 6,700
    Forum Member
    She seems disliked by a lot of people and I GENUINELY do not get why.

People always either put it down to "she mimes" or "she's a racist toilet attendant abuser"

1. Fair enough, even fans have Cheryl have to admit she hasn't got the best voice. But I personally think she has a lovely tone and the material she sings suits her voice perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpgw07IWjw Listening to her live in that performance made me smile as I thought she sounded really nice :)

Her voice might not be to your liking but that doesn't mean she's "talentless". She is an incredible performer.....that can't be denied.

2. She's clearly not racist so I never understand when people say that. She was drunk and had an argument in a nightclub. HAS NO ONE EVER EXPERIENCED THIS? Seriously?...

She was also about 19 years old at the time ffs lol!

She also presents herself very respectful and well as a judge.

So, someone please tell me why the hate? Please don't respond with one of the above reasons as I've already stated how they really don't work so in you guys opinion, what is it that is there to hate so much :S

I could tell you, but it would get denied to the hills.

The toilet attendant incident, is just a smoke screen to hide the real reason. Before anyone jumps down my throat, I'm not defending what she did, but she apologized and that's good enough for me.
  • GracieLGracieL Posts: 4,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind Cheryl, granted she hasn't go the best singing voice but she can hold a tune and has released some good pop songs. I don't like how everyone keeps bringing up the racial assault, I'm not excusing what she did but it was over a decade ago, she did her punishment and she was young, stupid and drunk. You need to stop holding that against her, forget and forgive.

That said, I think she can come across as a bit smug especially with Simon and she does have a lot of PR behind her, and I hate how a lot of XF has been focused on her, which isn't entirely her fault.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god. So she punched someone once when she was drunk? and for some of you that's 'evidence of violent tendencies?' Get off your high horses. Are you honestly saying you would never ever punch someone ever?

Let me guess, you also think its disgraceful that she was drunk and lost control of herself because of it? Newsflash, lots of lassies have slapped or punched someone when they're drunk. Besides the point she's gone through the courts for it and paid for it and it still lays there as a smear on her career, people should just let it rest.

Some people don't always have 100% control of their temper; if you do you should be grateful and not (metaphorically) bash others for not necessarily having so.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, I don't think the nightclub incident is the main reason for all this dislike. I think some people latch onto it as a justification for their opinion, which isn't quite the same thing. It happened more than a decade ago and she was punished for it at the time. There has been no repeat. There are plenty of pop performers who have behaved much worse than she ever did, yet they are not subjected to such relentless abuse. To paraphrase someone who was known for his wisdom, let those who have no sin cast the first stone.

I don't get the 'she has no talent' either. She isn't a great singer, but she isn't a bad one. Is Paul McCartney a great singer? Is Sting? Neither of them has a great voice, but that does not diminish their achievements as musicians. She is, on the other hand, an excellent dancer - and that requires talent.

As for those who deride her for trading on her looks, what did you expect? She identified early on where her strengths lay and capitalised on them. That isn't luck. It is clever. Tom Cruise did much the same in his branch of the performing arts, but is he derided for it?
  • All2EasyAll2Easy Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Many of the things used to bash her are merely excuses for the hatred and dislike and a smokescreen for the actual reasons.

You get many many male pop stars or people in bands or film stars etc who have punched people (paparazzi, scuffles with others etc), done drugs, wrecked hotel rooms etc and yet you never hear the same level of hate towards them from the Cheryl hating folk. This is no coincidence.

None of these types are hauled over the coals and berated for things like Cheryl. The same goes for singing ability. Cheryl can actually sing - she's no world beater of course but is at least as good as Harry Styles or Zayn or any number of insipid boy band types who of course also never come in for the level of criticism that she gets.

The rabid dislike for her is far more obvious that that. It's a sad fact of life that many people get judged (and this can be negatively not just positively) on how they look. Sad but true. She is a prime example.

Many many people cannot stand that she is so astonishingly beautiful with a perfect face and dimples that make the majority of men's heart melt. She is so stupendously good looking that this inspires bitterness and dislike in others who use any opportunity to put her down to make themselves feel better about themselves and their own insecurities. People cannot stand the fact that she is rich beyond their wildest dreams, is on a prime time TV show stealing the show yet again, and is loved and admired by many. The tag 'the Nation's Sweetheart' should not raise the level of anger that it does and again makes people look jealous when they protest too much and to the level that they do.

Some people cannot stand the fact that she has success and take actual pleasure in writing hateful things about her on the internet or calling her names or pretending she cannot sing. They also protest far far too much when people call them out on it.

Even when people don't use the 'jealous' word, you see people virtually froth at the mouth if the word is even hinted at let alone said, and they are totally oblivious to the fact that the way they post about her is the exact reason why some people think this as it DOES come across as jealousy. There's a difference between giving her negative criticism (not jealous) and those who DO sound green with envy and twisted with jealousy with every hateful word about her that the type from behind the safety of their keyboards. .

It's not just what her detractors say but how they say it.

Some woman hate the fact that so many men are captivated by her. They feel dowdy and unattractive in comparison. They feel insecure that they do not have the same power over men that she effortlessly has and so to compensate for their own insecurities and inner ugliness, do their damnedest to put her down.

It sounds like teen girls who do it but if rumours are to be believed some of the more child like playground nasty bitter posts are actually from adult women. Amazing.

It's blatantly obvious to see and the rabid and not at all convincing denials are almost laughable in how pathetic and implausible they sound.

It IS bitterness. It IS jealousy. It IS envy and unlike Cheryl and her face, it's really really not pretty to see. It's ridiculously obvious too.
  • Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god. So she punched someone once when she was drunk? and for some of you that's 'evidence of violent tendencies?' Get off your high horses. Are you honestly saying you would never ever punch someone ever?

Let me guess, you also think its disgraceful that she was drunk and lost control of herself because of it? Newsflash, lots of lassies have slapped or punched someone when they're drunk. Besides the point she's gone through the courts for it and paid for it and it still lays there as a smear on her career, people should just let it rest.

Some people don't always have 100% control of their temper; if you do you should be grateful and not (metaphorically) bash others for not necessarily having so.

Of course it's a indication of violent tendencies! What a stupid thing to to say, the majority of people who go out to clubs and enjoy themselves at the weekend DONT go around punching others in the face. She clearly has anger management issues and an attitude problem, and all the PR training and grooming in the world can't hide that, as we very occasionally get glimpse of the old Cheryl when the mask slips.

People do make mistakes, but seeing as Cheryl has never shown an ounce of remorse for what she did I don't believe it was mistake and she clearly isn't sorry for what she did. In fact, the whole hing has been swept under the carpet. How convenient.

I don't get the 'she has no talent' either. She isn't a great singer, but she isn't a bad one. Is Paul McCartney a great singer? Is Sting? Neither of them has a great voice, but that does not diminish their achievements as musicians. She is, on the other hand, an excellent dancer - and that requires talent.

Jesus wept. Comparing Cheryl Cole to the likes of Paul McCartney and Sting is like comparing a Robin Reliant to a Ferrari. Ridiculous.
  • mysty211mysty211 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why people hate Cheryl and bringing up something she did in past while drunk???
    She can sing not exactly a strong big singing voice .
    Seems like people are always looking for reasons to hate her or because she's a shown a lot people don't like her as much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All2Easy wrote: »
    Many of the things used to bash her are merely excuses for the hatred and dislike and a smokescreen for the actual reasons.

You get many many male pop stars or people in bands or film stars etc who have punched people (paparazzi, scuffles with others etc), done drugs, wrecked hotel rooms etc and yet you never hear the same level of hate towards them from the Cheryl hating folk. This is no coincidence.

None of these types are hauled over the coals and berated for things like Cheryl. The same goes for singing ability. Cheryl can actually sing - she's no world beater of course but is at least as good as Harry Styles or Zayn or any number of insipid boy band types who of course also never come in for the level of criticism that she gets.

The rabid dislike for her is far more obvious that that. It's a sad fact of life that many people get judged (and this can be negatively not just positively) on how they look. Sad but true. She is a prime example.

Many many people cannot stand that she is so astonishingly beautiful with a perfect face and dimples that make the majority of men's heart melt. She is so stupendously good looking that this inspires bitterness and dislike in others who use any opportunity to put her down to make themselves feel better about themselves and their own insecurities. People cannot stand the fact that she is rich beyond their wildest dreams, is on a prime time TV show stealing the show yet again, and is loved and admired by many. The tag 'the Nation's Sweetheart' should not raise the level of anger that it does and again makes people look jealous when they protest too much and to the level that they do.

Some people cannot stand the fact that she has success and take actual pleasure in writing hateful things about her on the internet or calling her names or pretending she cannot sing. They also protest far far too much when people call them out on it.

Even when people don't use the 'jealous' word, you see people virtually froth at the mouth if the word is even hinted at let alone said, and they are totally oblivious to the fact that the way they post about her is the exact reason why some people think this as it DOES come across as jealousy. There's a difference between giving her negative criticism (not jealous) and those who DO sound green with envy and twisted with jealousy with every hateful word about her that the type from behind the safety of their keyboards. .

It's not just what her detractors say but how they say it.

Some woman hate the fact that so many men are captivated by her. They feel dowdy and unattractive in comparison. They feel insecure that they do not have the same power over men that she effortlessly has and so to compensate for their own insecurities and inner ugliness, do their damnedest to put her down.

It sounds like teen girls who do it but if rumours are to be believed some of the more child like playground nasty bitter posts are actually from adult women. Amazing.

It's blatantly obvious to see and the rabid and not at all convincing denials are almost laughable in how pathetic and implausible they sound.

It IS bitterness. It IS jealousy. It IS envy and unlike Cheryl and her face, it's really really not pretty to see. It's ridiculously obvious too.

I've already stated that I'm Cheryl neutral, but this post is a little patronising. I think there's a difference between being jealous of someone's looks and simply being annoyed at how they seem to coast on those looks. You mentioned Harry and Zayn from 1D. Not a couple of brilliant singers, but a couple of the most popular singers in the world. That annoys me a little. Is it because I'm jealous of their looks? Of course not. It's because talent seems to be a minor requirement these days. It's annoying to see comments like "who cares if Cheryl can sing or not, she's sooooo pretty". Huh? We are talking about a professional singer right? That is what annoys me with some singers these days. It's not even their fault. It's the fans who are obsessed with boyband members or pretty women they want to be. Talent doesn't seem to be a coveted thing anymore.
  • Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People do make mistakes, but seeing as Cheryl has never shown an ounce of remorse for what she did I don't believe it was mistake and she clearly isn't sorry for what she did. In fact, the whole hing has been swept under the carpet. How convenient.

Pulling this out of thin air are we? She did the time and apologised.

And for anyone that didnt read and swallow the biased media reports as truth would know that Cheryl's defence consisted of 3 individuals who all said they were attacked by the toilet attendant unprovoked on different occasions. Cheryl was brought up in an incredibly tough part of Newcastle and not that it is an excuse, however she will have been taught how to defend herself. But obviously come on, it was a mistake and she's obviously learned her lesson as it was 12 years ago and there have been no incidents since.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus wept. Comparing Cheryl Cole to the likes of Paul McCartney and Sting is like comparing a Robin Reliant to a Ferrari. Ridiculous.

If you can be bothered to read my post properly, you will discover that I did not compare her to Paul McCartney or Sting. I cited them as examples of people who do not have great singing voices, yet have still managed to achieve great things musically. I do not suggest that Cheryl's musical achievements are anywhere near theirs, but she is derided by people on these forums for having an unexceptional voice - and they are not.

I am tempted to make some comment on the Biblical verse you quoted, but I prefer to conduct myself in a better manner.
  • ThiswillbefunThiswillbefun Posts: 10,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she's a singer why doesn't she sing? If she stopped miming people would start to take her seriously.

Why does she get so much free promotion? The media seem to fawn over her. The only reason she's a success musically is because of the level of promotion. Nothing to do with ability. Why aren't singer who aren't "friends of Cowell" allowed all this prime-time publicity.

Does anyone remember the story the NOTW were going to break 10 or so years ago about a black England international footballer caught in a compromising position with one of his team mates? It was around the same time that Cheryl's career was nearly ended due to her assault on the toilet attendant.
    Lucky that both Cheryl and the footballer had Max Clifford as their PR guru and the story about him was never published.

That she gets paid millions to read a script and lie to millions of people to ensure Cowell gets his pre-chosen winner.

(Btw, did anyone notice how lovely, weepy Lola had a massive backing track when she sang. Yet "the horrid" Raign had no backing track and they actually used the sound of tumble weed every time she spoke to demean her.

Ergo, Cheryl is part of mass organised bullying and uses her position to harm other musicians' careers. I'm not just talking about Raign but a lot of people who can sing but are humiliated by this fake show. The musicians who work the clubs and have to count the pennies, busk and buy second hand equipment, yet have more talent in their fingers than the queen of autotune, but will never have their music on tv or radio because they'll never sell out to the mass marketed dross machine.

She isn't the only culprit. She's one of a group that includes Cowell, Sherzinger, Tulisa, Louis Walsh, Piers Morgan, Alan Sugar, Karen Brady, Max Clifford and I'm sure many more. People who seem to have slimed their way to the top and decide what "us stupid folk" should like.

Unfortunately there does seem to be a lot of people willing to sit around like zombies and suck it all in.
  • AntoniaAAntoniaA Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    I wasn't aware that Cheryl was hated. Who on earth could hate her, especially those who've never met her. She seems like a genuinely lovely girl to me.
  • PeggysDadPeggysDad Posts: 928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wow, there's no forgiveness for people who made a mistake when young?

Well, not for nice looking women it would seem....someone like Gino D'Acampo on the other hand can serve two years in prison for burglary and then go on to have numerous tv shows and be crowned king of the jungle.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mysty211 wrote: »
    I don't know why people hate Cheryl and bringing up something she did in past while drunk???

Actually, it seems to be her supporter who has brought it up. I've not seen it mentioned on here for a long time, not even seen her referred to as Biffa this year:D
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Actually, it seems to be her supporter who has brought it up. I've not seen it mentioned on here for a long time, not even seen her referred to as Biffa this year:D

You've raised an interesting point. Putting this up yet again makes you wonder where the OP is coming from as if people are not going to raise the Miming, Toilet and other issues? Its inviting it surely?. For me the way she treated Wagner was the turning point and you saw the "Real" Cheryl what ever name she is using.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-1331595/X-Factor-2010-Cheryl-Cole-lays-Wagner-branding-lucky-council-estate-girl.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeQuufFagoY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AntoniaA wrote: »
    I wasn't aware that Cheryl was hated. Who on earth could hate her, especially those who've never met her. She seems like a genuinely lovely girl to me.

I used to think she was just a down to earth Geordie, but I've heard so many stories from fans who claim she's not as nice and attentive when the cameras are not on her. I know that people lie and that we can't believe everything we read, but her own fans have claimed she's rather rude. I'm not sure what to make of it.
  • chels.pchels.p Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    She seems disliked by a lot of people and I GENUINELY do not get why.

People always either put it down to "she mimes" or "she's a racist toilet attendant abuser"

1. Fair enough, even fans have Cheryl have to admit she hasn't got the best voice. But I personally think she has a lovely tone and the material she sings suits her voice perfectly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJpgw07IWjw Listening to her live in that performance made me smile as I thought she sounded really nice :)

Her voice might not be to your liking but that doesn't mean she's "talentless". She is an incredible performer.....that can't be denied.

Haha, that's quite the understatement. Have you heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yC1GktayPc

Seriously, if she went on the X factor she wouldn't get through to the lives (not even sure she'd get through to bootcamp).

However, I agree with you that she's definitely not a racist and seems like a decent person. And she's gorgeous and a good dancer
  • plankwalkerplankwalker Posts: 6,702
    Forum Member
    chels.p wrote: »
    Haha, that's quite the understatement. Have you heard this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yC1GktayPc

Seriously, if she went on the X factor she wouldn't get through to the lives (not even sure she'd get through to bootcamp).

However, I agree with you that she's definitely not a racist and seems like a decent person. And she's gorgeous and a good dancer

Good looking yes. A good dancer not really. She can only operate when she is heavily choreographed, she is not a natural, despite early training and the best support money can buy. Yes like her Auto-tuned Videos or Mimed Performances her dancing looks good although very samey. She no doubt puts a lot of effort into trying to dance and has the advantage of not having to worry about singing.

Here's a telling little clip... with Cher Lloyd ....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WInDOT8JXGA
  • Dan 54Dan 54 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you cut the crap and get down to the real reason shes where she is today,its because of her looks,full stop.Far better singers in Girls Aloud.The main reason I dont particulary like her though is a complete lack of humour and a sort of aloofness about her.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whedonite wrote: »
    I used to think she was just a down to earth Geordie, but I've heard so many stories from fans who claim she's not as nice and attentive when the cameras are not on her. I know that people lie and that we can't believe everything we read, but her own fans have claimed she's rather rude. I'm not sure what to make of it.

I have actually only seen good stories about Cheryl and her fans.

Though I'm sure there are days when she has to ignore fans etc if she is in a hurry etc, so she probably has pissed some fans off, most celebs probably have.