Options

I'd Rather Use a CRT TV For Standard Definition TV Viewing - What Are Your Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    chen lungchen lung Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    RGB SCART is far higher quality than S-Video, it's the best possible SD connection.
    I know S-Video is a step up from composite, but inferior to RGB, etc.

I did see one of these a while ago, but what about audio? I don't think my CRT has audio input.

The LCD uses built-in Freeview HD.
  • Options
    D.PageD.Page Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chen lung wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to connect the Sky to the CRT TV using S-Video, but from what I remember, it didn't work. I'm using a SCART.
    RGB SCART is far higher quality than S-Video, it's the best possible SD connection.

I take it you mean the best possible SD connection with, certainly most Sky boxes. Component video (Y,Pr,Pb) is regarded as the highest quality analogue video connection, superior to the RGB Scart connection. I am aware that, certainly most Sky boxes don't offer this connection, but there are sites which state that, for instance, the Thomson DSI8210 Sky box has rear analogue Component sockets (3 x Phono). If your Sky box happens to have analogue Component connections (3 x Phono), use this for the highest quality (if your other equipment has this analogue Component connectivity).
  • Options
    Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.Page wrote: »
    I take it you mean the best possible SD connection with a Sky box. Component video (Y,Pr,Pb) is regarded as the highest quality analogue video connection, superior to the RGB Scart connection. I am aware that, certainly most Sky boxes don't offer this connection, but there are sites which state that, for instance, the Thomson DSI8210 Sky box has rear analogue Component sockets (3 x Phono). If your Sky box happens to have analogue Component connections (3 x Phono), use this for the highest quality (if your other equipment has this analogue Component connectivity).

The component outputs on the Thomson HD box don't autoswitch between 16:9 and 4:3 the same way that scart does - although many people have similar problems with HDMI also. But anybody who has a Sky box which supports component output also has HDMI output - because it is a Thomson Sky+ HD box which has both. So they are more likely to be using HDMI anyway, as this carries audio as well as video. The component output is video only, and requires one of the other audio mechanisms to also be used (RCA stereo or optical).

For HD picture quality, component obviously exceeds RGB scart (scart can't carry high definition, component can). For SD picture quality, I would still say it is up to the individual user which is the higher quality - RGB scart or component. The component output of the Sky box will upscale SD to 1080 if you tell it to, whereas RGB scart will always output SD and leave the display to do the upscaling.
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    I take it you mean the best possible SD connection with, certainly most Sky boxes. Component video (Y,Pr,Pb) is regarded as the highest quality analogue video connection, superior to the RGB Scart connection. I am aware that, certainly most Sky boxes don't offer this connection, but there are sites which state that, for instance, the Thomson DSI8210 Sky box has rear analogue Component sockets (3 x Phono). If your Sky box happens to have analogue Component connections (3 x Phono), use this for the highest quality (if your other equipment has this analogue Component connectivity).

RGB is slightly HIGHER quality than Component video (Y,Pr,Pb) - which is actually a slightly encoded form of RGB.

It's also converted BACK to RGB in the TV to drive the tube.

But it really depends on the source, DVD for example isn't stored as RGB - so it's really just a question of WHERE you do the conversion to RGB in that case.

The fallacy that Component is higher quality is simply because Component was upgraded to HD (as it's American), RGB SCART wasn't ever upgraded - there was no need for it - in the couple of years before the UK/EU got HD HDMI had come out, so need need for HD via SCART.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love to be able to connect the Sky to the CRT TV using S-Video, but from what I remember, it didn't work. I'm using a SCART.

Why would you want to use S-Video? It's lower quality than SCART.

EDIT: I missed the new page which is why I commented when there had already been many comments in the same vein. (embarrassed smiley thing which isn't working at the moment).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The component outputs on the Thomson HD box don't autoswitch between 16:9 and 4:3 the same way that scart does - although many people have similar problems with HDMI also.
    Could that perhaps be the fault of the display?

From what I've seen, manufacturers discourage users from using modes that will produce borders (e.g. 4:3 material on 16:9 display), because of burn-in.
    bobcar wrote: »
    Why would you want to use S-Video? It's lower quality than SCART.
    I should define SCART - composite with stereo audio.

I was always informed S-Video was better than composite.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RGB is slightly HIGHER quality than Component video (Y,Pr,Pb) - which is actually a slightly encoded form of RGB.

It's also converted BACK to RGB in the TV to drive the tube.

But it really depends on the source, DVD for example isn't stored as RGB - so it's really just a question of WHERE you do the conversion to RGB in that case.

The fallacy that Component is higher quality is simply because Component was upgraded to HD (as it's American), RGB SCART wasn't ever upgraded - there was no need for it - in the couple of years before the UK/EU got HD HDMI had come out, so need need for HD via SCART.

There are many people, other than me, who disagree with you entirely, including 'What Video' Magazine. With respect, I think they may well have a little more expertise than you.
  • Options
    late8late8 Posts: 7,175
    Forum Member
    No.

It does depend on how good the LCD/PLASMA is in the first place but I would say SD looks the same if not better.

Personally Plasma handles SD much better than LCD because LCD for some reason (even with the same resolution screen) seems to smear or side over sharpen a SD picture.

I have seen 90's CRT Widescreens replaced by LCD/Plasmas giving a better picture, some worse.
    CRT when I see them now seem to show up bends in straight lines (doors or window frames looking outside bend) and lots of overscan.

+ Many Plasma screens and now even LCD are producing colour and black levels much better than CRT's
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I should define SCART - composite with stereo audio.

I was always informed S-Video was better than composite.

It is but you wouldn't use composite on SCART where RGB is available.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There are many people, other than me, who disagree with you entirely, including 'What Video' Magazine. With respect, I think they may well have a little more expertise than you.

Component has the advantage (apart from HD) of allowing progressive which can be a BIG advantage for playing DVDs of films but for standard video is slightly lower quality though you won't notice the difference.

If S-Video is better or you can see a real difference between component and RGB then there is something wrong - either the cabling or design/fault in the TV or source.

I wouldn't trust magazines like "What Video".
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member

Not much more to say really - you won't convince people who can already see that current LCDs and plasmas have a much sharper picture than old CRTs that CRT is better, and you don't need to try and convince people who agree with you of anything at all, so don't know where else this thread can go now...
    Plenty of room for discussion yet, we're on cables now, still got cost of cables, LCD v plasma etc etc to go. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    It is but you wouldn't use composite on SCART where RGB is available.
    The reason I don't have a RGB SCART is they don't appear to accommodate audio - my TV doesn't have separate sockets to accept it either.

I'd accept that is the limitation of my TV though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reason I don't have a RGB SCART is they don't appear to accommodate audio - my TV doesn't have separate sockets to accept it either.

S-video forces you to use an alternative audio source - it is video only. Whereas scart (both RGB and composite) is video and audio combined. A fully wired 21 pin scart cable will carry audio and video, as long as it is available at source.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could that perhaps be the fault of the display?

No, its because component doesn't carry the autoswitch (pin 18) that scart does required to switch between 4:3 and 16:9.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I cannot agree. As I said in one of my earlier replies (about watching 16:9 and 2.35:1 material on my 21" CRT TV), I often view the screen from quite close up (probably too close up, sometimes, for it to be healthy for the eyes), and I do not find any of the objectionable artefacts, such as MPEG blocking and mosquito noise, which is so evident when viewing SD material on LCD/Plasmas etc. There are minor imperfections to the picture display, yes, but nothing like the significant picture issues I've described when watching SD material with LCD/Plasmas etc.

I appreciate you prefer the quality of SD on CRT and have little interest in todays technology, but for someone who seeks good quality has one of the smallest screens in a screen format that went out years ago. Haven't you even considered a 16x9 CRT, at least you could watch widescreen in it's correct format, which for me goes hand in hand with PQ. I think I could have understood your argument better if you had said you had a Sony 36". 16x9 CRT.
  • Options
    Forum Member

Were they RGB only scarts. They are normally directional, they only work connected one way, these don't carry audio.

A scart that has all 21 pins connected will.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    S-video forces you to use an alternative audio source - it is video only. Whereas scart (both RGB and composite) is video and audio combined. A fully wired 21 pin scart cable will carry audio and video, as long as it is available at source.
    I should have been clearer (sorry) - you can get SCARTs with both S-Video and audio (I have one).

Can you show me a RGB SCART that carries video and audio?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I should have been clearer (sorry) - you can get SCARTs with both S-Video and audio (I have one).

A fully wired scart carries three signals, composite, s-video and RGB.

A dedicated s-video cable does not carry audio, you have to source that from elsewhere.

Any scart that's fully wired will carry RGB and audio.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/SC001.html

A brief description about scart here.

http://www.tvcables.co.uk/cgi-bin/tvcables/scartleads.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Every scart cable I own.
    The RGB enabled scart socket (marked TV) on the Sky box.
    Any scart socket on your TV which accepts an RGB in signal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

The same What Video that gives glowing reviews to £100 HDMI cables, knowing full well a £5 cable is just as good as long as it is well manufactured and properly shielded?.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deacon1972 wrote: »
    I appreciate you prefer the quality of SD on CRT and have little interest in todays technology, but for someone who seeks good quality has one of the smallest screens in a screen format that went out years ago. Haven't you even considered a 16x9 CRT, at least you could watch widescreen in it's correct format, which for me goes hand in hand with PQ. I think I could have understood your argument better if you had said you had a Sony 36". 16x9 CRT.

It's another fair comment, but I can explain that. I have been considering buying a larger 16:9 Sony Wega CRT TV, and am currently on the look-out, but, as you are, no doubt, aware, you cannot just walk into Currys and pick one up anymore. I am forced to look on eBay, and it will, no doubt, take some time for me to find the model I want, that isn't too far away to pick up, that's in excellent condition etc etc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member

Every fully wired SCART cable I have ever bought.

I have two connected to a DVD recorder, one from a PVR to the DVD recorder, another from the DVD recorder to the TV.

I have one connected to a Sony Freeview box driving a TV in the bedroom.

I have one connected from a DVD player to the same TV in the bedroom.

ALL support RGB and carry stereo audio too.

If yours doesn't, then you are buying the wrong cables.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ah, now I understand! I hadn't realised.

I've changed the Sky box to RGB and the video seems to look better.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member

Why do you disagree?, and on what basis?.

Which do you think is best?:

For an RGB source.

1) RGB to Component - wire - Component to RGB.

2) RGB - wire - RGB.

For DVD (where the source is Component).

3) Component - wire - Component to RGB.

4) Component to RGB - wire - RGB.

'What Video' is a joke, with reviews and articles based mostly on advertising revenue :p

As I mentioned previously, any imaginary improvement is really because of it's HD capability - which RGB is perfectly capable of (as in the monitor I'm currently using) - just not implemented with SCART (as there was never any need or reason).

Component was also uprated to include Progressive scanning, but that's similar to the HD reasons.
  • Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    It's another fair comment, but I can explain that. I have been considering buying a larger 16:9 Sony Wega CRT TV, and am currently on the look-out, but, as you are, no doubt, aware, you cannot just walk into Currys and pick one up anymore. I am forced to look on eBay, and it will, no doubt, take some time for me to find the model I want, that isn't too far away to pick up, that's in excellent condition etc etc.

Our Watford branch of Cash Converters is a goldmine for quality CRT's - they come in and then sell so fast it is unreal. A 36" 16:9 Triniton with stand - £40 and the nicest 28" 4:3 Beovision I have ever seen - but that was on its way out of the store being carried off by two gleeful blokes who almost threw the £40 asking price at the cashier. If you have a Cash Converters nearby, do check their stock.